Looking to upgrade road bike - thoughts

QToo

Sep 23, 2004
Hi All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and find the content and feedback to be excellent. I have been back to riding for the past 3 years on a 25 yr Schwinn Le Tour. A nice bike that has served me well for a long time and obviously it doesn't owe me a dime. The addition of clipless pedals this year put off the inevitable but it is time.

Looking to upgrade to a new ride in the $1000-$1500 range and wanted to get some feedback on a new ride. I put in about 50-60 miles per week and like to push at a higher speed vs. a cruise pace. No racing yet but maybe down the road. I live in NH and encounter a fare amount of hills.

My choices probaly fall into the Specialized, Trek and Cannondale realm and I know everyone's choice is subjective. What should I look out for and which components are a must? Should I go full Ultegra or is a Ult/105 combo fine? Double/Triple? I will go with a carbon fork, seat tube and headset. Should I also go for the seat stay as well?

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Carbon seat stays are probably more ornamental than helpful. Triples are generally for very hilly/mountainous areas and/or people who, for one reason or another can't push a 53 tooth chainring at a reasonable cadence (on flats).

QToo said:
Hi All,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and find the content and feedback to be excellent. I have been back to riding for the past 3 years on a 25 yr Schwinn Le Tour. A nice bike that has served me well for a long time and obviously it doesn't owe me a dime. The addition of clipless pedals this year put off the inevitable but it is time.

Looking to upgrade to a new ride in the $1000-$1500 range and wanted to get some feedback on a new ride. I put in about 50-60 miles per week and like to push at a higher speed vs. a cruise pace. No racing yet but maybe down the road. I live in NH and encounter a fare amount of hills.

My choices probaly fall into the Specialized, Trek and Cannondale realm and I know everyone's choice is subjective. What should I look out for and which components are a must? Should I go full Ultegra or is a Ult/105 combo fine? Double/Triple? I will go with a carbon fork, seat tube and headset. Should I also go for the seat stay as well?

Suggest you go out, test ride the bikes in your price range, and pick the one you like.

Wouldn't choose based on carbon rear stays or a carbon seat post at all, but the one that fits you best and the one you like riding. Each brand will have marketing features that the salesman will tell you make theirs better....carbon, wheels, components.

The LBS is a decision point also....a competent shop to fit you and tune up/service the bike can be worth a lot.

keydates said:
Carbon seat stays are probably more ornamental than helpful. Triples are generally for very hilly/mountainous areas and/or people who, for one reason or another can't push a 53 tooth chainring at a reasonable cadence (on flats).
That's a bit of nonsense since current triples have a 52 big ring.

QToo said:
Hi All,

If you havent needed a triple,chances are pretty good you don't need one,unless you have been avoiding hills due to the current gearing.

QToo said:
Hi All,

50 - 60 miles per week isn't very much mileage so you may even want to try a Tiagra equipped bike. I would think it would be plenty of bike for that much distance. You'll be amazed at how much difference there will be in riding a current Tiagra bike vs. a 25 year old Schwinn LeTour.

I used to have an old Schwinn LeTour and really enjoyed riding it. Gave it to a friend so he would have something to ride and he sold it at a garage sale for $15. I'm still mad at him! :mad: I would have bought it back for that much. It was in great shape for it's age.