Looks like toe cages are bad, right?

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
I'm waiting for the bike shop to call and say my bike is ready (GT 2.0 avalanche disc, looked like the best bang for the buck componentry wise). Here's my question, should I totally leave off toe cages on the pedals? The reason I'm asking is in college (1990 or so) I had a Schwinn Sierra MOS and it came with toe cages. I loved them and didn't have problems with them, and thought about putting some on this bike. I read that they're not desirable on a lot of other posts but can't find any particular reasons mentioned. Please give me some reasons/horror stories etc. I will be doing some mild to intermediate offroad riding but nothing hardcore if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the input, Greg

Some people still use them, and they are readily available for purchase.

One drawback is over-the-bar wrecks because your foot typically stays in the cage and brings the bike over with you. That said, I've ridden very technical cross country with a guy the past 4 years who still uses toe cages, and he loves them - no horror stories at all.

Today, most intermediate to serious cyclists use clipless pedals which use a pedal to cycling shoe cleat binding system similar to snow ski and boot set-ups. You release your shoes from the pedal by twisting your heel outward.

Bottom line, if you still think you like toe cages, test them on your new bike. Because they are relatively inexpensive, you can always take them off or replace with clipless pedals without too much of a monetary loss.

Or........

Some pedals are available with the clipless design on one side and a platform on the other. I believe you could attach toe cages to the platform side and if you ever decide to go clipless, it's on the other side:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=108&subcategory=1078&brand=&sku=3025&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=108&subcategory=1078&brand=&sku=6223&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

I used the cage system for a while and the only drawback is on the downhill single track where you end up on your back with your bike still attached to you,upside down in the air, this is to the great amusement of your fellow riders, I then progressed to a plastic half cage this folds over to allow a front end roll releasing your foot, but they don't give you the power transference on peddling uphill that clip in shoes do.

In my experience the clip in pedal and MTB shoe give you a more controlled ride,

Your feet stay on the pedal on bouncy sections and you'll quickly learn to unclip them quite easily when you need to.

HowardSteele said:
I used the cage system for a while and the only drawback is on the downhill single track where you end up on your back with your bike still attached to you,upside down in the air, this is to the great amusement of your fellow riders, I then progressed to a plastic half cage this folds over to allow a front end roll releasing your foot, but they don't give you the power transference on peddling uphill that clip in shoes do.

In my experience the clip in pedal and MTB shoe give you a more controlled ride,

Your feet stay on the pedal on bouncy sections and you'll quickly learn to unclip them quite easily when you need to.
I ride with mine loose. That way, I can pull my feet out quickly when I need to.