loop in reverse?

Stunslinger

Nov 14, 2006
like anyone who gets bored of routine, i tried switching up my normal clockwise loop by hitting it counterclockwise. i've tried this experiment a few times and for some reason i'm 5 min slower than normal over about 30 miles! i ride at the same intensity, and the loop logically has the same amount of climbing/descending (about 2200 feet). traffic lights and stop signs shouldn't have an impact this huge. does anyone else have this same issue? i'd love a good explanation.

Stunslinger said:
like anyone who gets bored of routine, i tried switching up my normal clockwise loop by hitting it counterclockwise. i've tried this experiment a few times and for some reason i'm 5 min slower than normal over about 30 miles! i ride at the same intensity, and the loop logically has the same amount of climbing/descending (about 2200 feet). traffic lights and stop signs shouldn't have an impact this huge. does anyone else have this same issue? i'd love a good explanation.

My 2 cents. Having a similar situation where I live I also ride a big loop and am definitely faster in one direction than the other. The first factor is the topography. Although the net elevation is the same the gradient at which this is achieved varies, ie: the hills are steeper on one side than the other. So basically one side is short and steep and the other is long and sloping. A long slight gradient would generally be more beneficial to the average speed than a short "wizz" down a steep burg.

This can then be compounded by the second factor, prevailing winds. Depending on the wind direction various part of the loops are more shielded than the other (I swear there are no shielded bits are when I am riding against the wind!)

Reversing the route will not be the same time. I have a 23 mile route I do, one way has a long down hill at one point, the other way, a long up hill at one point.

+1 on Tape's topography remark.