loose Campy record cassette

Lately I've noticed a certain lack of precision in my RD shifts. So I
checked the cassette to see if it had loosened. Although the lockring
was still tight, the cassette had a small amount of side-to-side play.
So I pulled off the cassette and then noticed that it was the part of
the hub that fits over the hub spindle that was loose (not sure of the
correct terminology). The nut that holds this part in place is tight
but I can still move the part from side to side. Is there a way to
tighten this up? Or is this a wear item that needs to be replaced?
There is probably 20,000 miles or so on the hub.
Thanks in advance...

James

On 17 Dec 2004 08:35:24 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Lately I've noticed a certain lack of precision in my RD shifts. So I
>checked the cassette to see if it had loosened. Although the lockring
>was still tight, the cassette had a small amount of side-to-side play.
>So I pulled off the cassette and then noticed that it was the part of
>the hub that fits over the hub spindle that was loose (not sure of the
>correct terminology). The nut that holds this part in place is tight
>but I can still move the part from side to side. Is there a way to
>tighten this up? Or is this a wear item that needs to be replaced?
>There is probably 20,000 miles or so on the hub.
>Thanks in advance...

The nut tha holds the body on is left threaded. Loosen to tighten.

Paul Kopit wrote:

> The nut tha holds the body on is left threaded. Loosen to tighten.

Yes, I am aware of that. Tighten is tighten, regardless of what
direction you turn it ;)

James

james-<< Although the lockring
was still tight, the cassette had a small amount of side-to-side play.
>><BR><BR>

If it is a steel axle type hub, the lower bearing may be dead, causing some
movement. Also since the freehub is not bolted onto the hub body, it could need
a bearing adjustment of the axle, from the left side.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302