Loose cassette

Veloblue

Oct 4, 2009
I recently replaced my old Shimano 600 rear cassette with a 6500. When the lock ring is torqued tight, there is still play. I have spacers between each of the free gears. Should there be a spacer between the largest gear and wheel?

I have the same problem right now, just a very slight movement back and fourth, and a friend (mechanic) of mine said all I need is another small spacer between the hub and the cassette, on the innermost side, so I just got that part in today and will let you know if putting it on fixes the problem.

Thanks! I think I need the Shimano 1 mm spacer betwen the gear and the wheel.

Dr_hush1417 said:
I have the same problem right now, just a very slight movement back and fourth, and a friend (mechanic) of mine said all I need is another small spacer between the hub and the cassette, on the innermost side, so I just got that part in today and will let you know if putting it on fixes the problem.

Veloblue said:
Thanks! I think I need the Shimano 1 mm spacer betwen the gear and the wheel.

Your LBS should be able to help you out with that.

Veloblue said:
I recently replaced my old Shimano 600 rear cassette with a 6500. When the lock ring is torqued tight, there is still play. I have spacers between each of the free gears. Should there be a spacer between the largest gear and wheel?
FWIW. Well, this is probably stating the obvious, but a Shimano 600 cassette would be an 8-speed cassette & a 6500 cassette would be a 9-speed cassette.

Did you change to 9-speed indexed shifters?

BTW. If you are handy, you can cut a washer from a milk jug's plastic cap & insert it between the smallest cog & the lockring.

alfeng said:
FWIW. Well, this is probably stating the obvious, but a Shimano 600 cassette would be an 8-speed cassette & a 6500 cassette would be a 9-speed cassette.

Did you change to 9-speed indexed shifters?

BTW. If you are handy, you can cut a washer from a milk jug's plastic cap & insert it between the smallest cog & the lockring.

I haven't changed shifters yet. So, I have 8 speed shifters with a 10 speed cassette (I also put a new crank and 10 speed chain on). The chain fits and moves between gears fine - I just can't switch through all 10. Shifters will come in time but this works. I rode ~90 miles with the cassette a little loose and it was just fine when there was resistance/pressure from the chain.

Veloblue said:
I haven't changed shifters yet. So, I have 8 speed shifters with a 10 speed cassette (I also put a new crank and 10 speed chain on). The chain fits and moves between gears fine - I just can't switch through all 10. Shifters will come in time but this works. I rode ~90 miles with the cassette a little loose and it was just fine when there was resistance/pressure from the chain.
Oh, if you have a 10-speed Shimano Ultegra cassette, then it is a 6600 or 6700 cassette (vs. 6500) AND you definitely need an additional spacer (which should have been included with the cassette) because the 10-speed Shimano cassette is narrower than the 8-and-9-speed Shimano cassettes.

You are absolutley right - it's a 6600. Bought the space today and a quick neighborhood ride seem good. Will get out on the road tomorrow to see if it will hold up until I can afford shifters.

If you have time (and memory) could you give a detailed report of what 8sp shifters can do on a 10sp cassette.

do you run all the lower cogs or the 8 upper ones with the der stop screwed way in?

thanks

I'm happy to. I can run the 7 largest (easiest) gears. I did some practice climbing on some pretty steep (8-10 degree) hills after work tonight and it never skipped. When I get down to gear 7 and continue adjusting it jumps to 9 and, I can't get to 10. So, for most all of the riding I do, it will be fine. I did indeed have to adjust the derailleur all the way in. As a reminder, I had to go to a 10 speed (slimmer) chain. I also got a DA crank which I guess is compatible with the chain.

curby said:
If you have time (and memory) could you give a detailed report of what 8sp shifters can do on a 10sp cassette.

do you run all the lower cogs or the 8 upper ones with the der stop screwed way in?

thanks

Veloblue said:

Why on earth didn't you get a 8s cogset? Many available at just about any decent bike shop.

Peter, for some reason I find your question extremely funny....thanks for the laugh :)

That's my question, too. There should still be a lot of 7, 8 spd cassettes out there for the Shimano crowd. If nothing else, they can be had at Harris Cyclery, and they only cost a few pesos.

alienator said:
That's my question, too. There should still be a lot of 7, 8 spd cassettes out there for the Shimano crowd. If nothing else, they can be had at Harris Cyclery, and they only cost a few pesos.

Agree, we have lots of 8 cogsets, shimano, sram, Campagnolo.

What's funny is that it's such an obvious question, and Peter was the one guy in the crowd who decided to come forward and ask. No big deal, just struck me as funny this morning.

It was a good, reasonable question. It was a cascade of events that started me on the quest to improve the bike. After ~ 20K miles, things were skipping and generally not working well - so, I decided to start tinkering. It's been a blast and certainly a learning experience.

Dan Burkhart said:
What's funny about a sensible,practical suggestion?