Loose pedal destroys crank arm

Pyrtwist

Guest
I got a LX crank that was ridden with a loose pedal and consequently
destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair this?

"Pyrtwist" wrote: (CLIP) destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair
this?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A Helicoil will make it BETTER than new.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Pyrtwist" wrote: (CLIP) destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair
> this?
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> A Helicoil will make it BETTER than new.

Worked for me on my MTB LX cranks. 7 years later it is still solid!

-Nate

Pyrtwist wrote:
> I got a LX crank that was ridden with a loose pedal and consequently
> destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair this?

Did I meet you on Hilly Hundred 7 miles into the route on Saturday?

Not I, Sir. I jumped on my son's mtb one night to ride to my car that Wifey
flooded. I thought the crank was bent. To my dismay it was a loose pedal.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:00:14 GMT, "Pyrtwist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I got a LX crank that was ridden with a loose pedal and consequently
>destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair this?

Maybe. A Helicoil will work if the crank's not too badly torn up. If
it's on the left, though, you'll be lucky to find a shop that has the
kit to do it. If the hole is badly wallowed, there may not be enough
meat left to rethread for the coil, and if the contact face is bashed
as well, the pedal won't have a square surface to tighten against. So
far, every wallowed crank I've seen was effectively junk; not worth
the heroic measures that would have been needed to save it.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:30:26 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:00:14 GMT, "Pyrtwist" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>I got a LX crank that was ridden with a loose pedal and consequently
>>destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair this?

>Maybe. A Helicoil will work if the crank's not too badly torn up. If
>it's on the left, though, you'll be lucky to find a shop that has the
>kit to do it. If the hole is badly wallowed, there may not be enough

Left cranks, of course, are cheap as chips. And there's no issue with
spider size, so almost any crank will work (though it may look odd to have
a silver crank on that side and a black one the other).

>meat left to rethread for the coil, and if the contact face is bashed
>as well, the pedal won't have a square surface to tighten against. So
>far, every wallowed crank I've seen was effectively junk; not worth
>the heroic measures that would have been needed to save it.

LX cranksets are about 100 bucks[1], not insignificant money but how much
does a helicoil repair cost? $50? That's about the cost of a Deore
crankset. I suspect getting an LX crank or -set on ebay of appropriate
vintage would be cheaper than the repair. It's not XTR, after all.

Jasper

[1] If it was already a Hollowtech II one and not an octalink -- otherwise
you'd need a new BB as well.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:55:38 GMT, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:30:26 GMT, Werehatrack <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:00:14 GMT, "Pyrtwist" <[email protected]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I got a LX crank that was ridden with a loose pedal and consequently
>>>destroyed threading. Is there a way to repair this?

>>Maybe. A Helicoil will work if the crank's not too badly torn up. If
>>it's on the left, though, you'll be lucky to find a shop that has the
>>kit to do it. If the hole is badly wallowed, there may not be enough

>Left cranks, of course, are cheap as chips. And there's no issue with
>spider size, so almost any crank will work (though it may look odd to have
>a silver crank on that side and a black one the other).

That, combined with the high cost of the left-hand-thread Helicoil
kit, may explain why most shops of my experience don't have the left
kit, though a fair number have the kit for the right-hand cranks.

>>meat left to rethread for the coil, and if the contact face is bashed
>>as well, the pedal won't have a square surface to tighten against. So
>>far, every wallowed crank I've seen was effectively junk; not worth
>>the heroic measures that would have been needed to save it.

>LX cranksets are about 100 bucks[1], not insignificant money but how much
>does a helicoil repair cost? $50? That's about the cost of a Deore
>crankset. I suspect getting an LX crank or -set on ebay of appropriate
>vintage would be cheaper than the repair. It's not XTR, after all.

I quite agree.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.