Loose shifter bosses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Palmer, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Dave Palmer

    Dave Palmer Guest

    Any tips or recommended repair shops for loose downtube shifter bosses in very thinwall Deda 7003
    aluminum tubing? They rotate slightly , making it impossible to maintain precise shifting.

    Thanks, Dave

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dave Palmer <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Any tips or recommended repair shops for loose downtube shifter bosses in very thinwall Deda 7003
    >aluminum tubing? They rotate slightly , making it impossible to maintain precise shifting.

    Here's "just a guess" -

    Some of them are threaded all the way through, one boss screws into the other. If that's how yours
    are, you may be able to unscrew them and reinstall with epoxy or a real strong thread locker. You
    won't want to tighten them much, and you'll need to allow curing time before use.

    Also, if you know a dealer who has sold lots of those frames, chances are they have seen this
    problem before and will know whether there is a good fix for it, and whether the mfr will do
    anything to help you.

    --Paul

  3. If that doesn't work, you may be able o have them soldered into place.

  4. Dave Palmer

    Dave Palmer Guest

    Thanks Paul,

    I took a closer look and that's how they're installed. There is a small threaded rod that goes clear
    through the tube, and the bosses are actually 2 pieces on each side. I took them off, cleaned them
    up, and epoxied the square pieces in place to the downtube. I think that will take care of it. I'll
    let it dry for a day or so before putting the cable stops back on.

    Thanks again, Dave

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:y93Ma.36283$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave Palmer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Any tips or recommended repair shops for loose downtube shifter bosses in very thinwall Deda 7003
    > >aluminum tubing? They rotate slightly , making it impossible to maintain precise shifting.
    >
    > Here's "just a guess" -
    >
    > Some of them are threaded all the way through, one boss screws into the other. If that's how yours
    > are, you may be able to unscrew them and reinstall with epoxy or a real strong thread locker. You
    > won't want to tighten them much, and you'll need to allow curing time before use.
    >
    > Also, if you know a dealer who has sold lots of those frames, chances are they have seen this
    > problem before and will know whether there is a good fix for it, and whether the mfr will do
    > anything to help you.
    >
    > --Paul

  5. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >If that doesn't work, you may be able o have them soldered into place.

    It's an aluminium frame. Phil Brown