loose spoke on Mavic Aksium

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
One spoke has become loose on my rear aksium training wheel. Can i just use a spoke tool to re-tighten it? The wheel shape is not really noticeably affected right now, but I assume that if I tighten incrementally and check the shape I shouldn't run into trouble?

BG

BullGod said:
One spoke has become loose on my rear aksium training wheel. Can i just use a spoke tool to re-tighten it? The wheel shape is not really noticeably affected right now, but I assume that if I tighten incrementally and check the shape I shouldn't run into trouble?

BG

It's just about like any wheel altho a spoke coming loose is a symptom of other things, like an undertensioned wheel or a deformity in the rim(dent).

BullGod said:

BG
Don't you think it is time to remove the training wheels:D? Just a little joke that I couldn't resist. Anyway, +1 to what Peter said. Something occurred that released the tension on your wheel. They normally do not loosen up by themselves. If you have not hit anything with the wheel that could deform it, I would suspect that it was a case of not having enough tension on that one spoke from the start. Rear wheels are a little more difficult to build because of the dish, and often the non-drive side spokes are tensioned less than the drive side spokes. Usually a wheelbuilder will attempt to get all of the non-drive side spokes uniformly tensioned, but it is easy to miss one.