Loosing weight...

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
I had not seen much difference in my weight when I started the 250 watt program I downloaded but I have now noticed that I have lost more weight than I first thought. The scale is starting to fall below 170lbs anfd now the body fat seems to always be at a high of 12% and a low of 9.8%. In the past I was not getting body fat below 13% ever and my weight was at a low of 175 and alot more gym training.

It seems the bike while I do not believe is burning more calories must be. I guess I am saying all of this to see if there is an optimal weight for your height in cycling?

After reading the the sly thread I am going to start doing some long intervals on the trainer and see what happens...I am really interested as I used to use it just for recovery days.

-Js

jsirabella said:
I guess I am saying all of this to see if there is an optimal weight for your height in cycling?

-Js
I think the optimal weight is the point at which you are as light as possible without sacrificing power. When your power/performance starts to fall, then you are prolly not at your optimal weight.

jsirabella said:
I had not seen much difference in my weight when I started the 250 watt program I downloaded but I have now noticed that I have lost more weight than I first thought. The scale is starting to fall below 170lbs anfd now the body fat seems to always be at a high of 12% and a low of 9.8%. In the past I was not getting body fat below 13% ever and my weight was at a low of 175 and alot more gym training.

It seems the bike while I do not believe is burning more calories must be. I guess I am saying all of this to see if there is an optimal weight for your height in cycling?

After reading the the sly thread I am going to start doing some long intervals on the trainer and see what happens...I am really interested as I used to use it just for recovery days.

-Js
Js, It is much simpler than that. try to put at least 2 long days per week and watch your diet. On your resting days restrict it more than normal but don´t go nutts about it.

About that 250Watt program...the question you should ask your coach or whoever told you that is: Are you really burning much fat at these wattage?. Does he/she know it from a scientific point of view?. I don´t know you metabolically speaking but maybe you could adjust more your training to be more specifically in terms of "Fat burning". Sorry but I believe that the watt thing fashion is not te silver bullet. I know that 99% of the community out there believes that watts is the only way to go but in a few years the watt fashion thing will be reduced to an excellent training tool to get to know your self better and get more data about you. It is way overestimated and a great bussiness behind that, on top that it is very easy to say "watts are watts"....but still scientifically speaking there is no evidence at all that a same given wattage represents a same metabolic/physiological state over time. I have been working with power meters for the last 10 years with top pros and they are finally realazing that it is justy an excellent tool but not a "bible" as most think. That fashion will go away in a few years for the rest of cycling community.

After going through the silyoldtwit thread, you better not tell him your feelings about watts.

Lets forget about the benefits of power training for a minute, speaking in business mode, it is brilliant. What do I mean? Well there are alot of guys out there who do not have access to a coach or to a club but yet want to get better and compete in a race or two. BTW, I would say that most people out there fall into this category. It is just a great tool that a person can become better with, by himself. This is what made body building so great. You can follow a program, easy to measure your accomplishments and you can do it by yourself until you reach a quite high level. Also not too complicated that someone can pick up within a couple of weeks of reading material.

Metabolic rates and all that info sounds wonderful but for the average joe who is into cycling and wants to get better...not mean much. Give him a program, easy way to measure results and a continous reward mechanism and he will be as happy as a pig in ??? and continue to get better.

I would say for the reason above combined with the track record...I see no better way of training currently. Ten years from now, who knows, but it seems right now I see no better tool.

Combine this with the fact that cycling has become the golf of yesteryear with alot of people 40 and over who have excess spending money for the fancy toys and want to regain some of that past thrills, this is a great time for the power meter people. Now if the price will drop futher on the set up, forget it. (Again this is business mode). Sorry can not help myself...hard to turn it off.

Anyway all I can say is that while I had a coach and a program, it is the power meter that gets me up in the morning at 5am to the park and put in my 2 hours and stop gyming. Even when I had his program I never found it good enuf to keep me interested. No set goals which are easy to follow, coach travels, team never meets for rides in the morning...I gave up on that scene. I still use him as he knows his stuff about equipment and gives me some great pointers but honestly my watts will get better and my bike handling skills only I can make better.

Great example, sends out an email to eveyone getting together for a ride last night. No one shows, I see one guy by Tavern who I do not know that well so I said forget it, I just put in a recovery pace ride with a few hill sprints. I need to get up early anyway every morning so I am dead tired at 7pm to put in another 2 hours and no one shows!!

Last night I started to email my friends and a new team will be started with guys I know and are friends with.

-Js

Urkiola2 said:
Js, It is much simpler than that. try to put at least 2 long days per week and watch your diet. On your resting days restrict it more than normal but don´t go nutts about it.

About that 250Watt program...the question you should ask your coach or whoever told you that is: Are you really burning much fat at these wattage?. Does he/she know it from a scientific point of view?. I don´t know you metabolically speaking but maybe you could adjust more your training to be more specifically in terms of "Fat burning". Sorry but I believe that the watt thing fashion is not te silver bullet. I know that 99% of the community out there believes that watts is the only way to go but in a few years the watt fashion thing will be reduced to an excellent training tool to get to know your self better and get more data about you. It is way overestimated and a great bussiness behind that, on top that it is very easy to say "watts are watts"....but still scientifically speaking there is no evidence at all that a same given wattage represents a same metabolic/physiological state over time. I have been working with power meters for the last 10 years with top pros and they are finally realazing that it is justy an excellent tool but not a "bible" as most think. That fashion will go away in a few years for the rest of cycling community.

QUOTE][/QUOTE] I would say for the reason above combined with the track record...I see no better way of training currently. Ten years from now, who knows, but it seems right now I see no better tool.That is because you haven´t seen it yet...10 years from now is already happening. There are more scientific ways to improve, just they haven´t arrived to the general population yet (there are many power meters to sell still..) and it will take long. SRM is almost 20 years old and LeMond started using it (as a reference always) 17 years ago!...now it is the fashion but he was way ahead of times...there are other new concepts that will hit general cycling population within the next years..I assure you:)

Anyway all I can say is that while I had a coach and a program, it is the power meter that gets me up in the morning at 5am to the park and put in my 2 hours and stop gyming. Even when I had his program I never found it good enuf to keep me interested. No set goals which are easy to follow, coach travels, team never meets for rides in the morning...I gave up on that scene. I still use him as he knows his stuff about equipment and gives me some great pointers but honestly my watts will get better and my bike handling skills only I can make better.I agree with that philosophy...

Last night I started to email my friends and a new team will be started with guys I know and are friends with.If you are not a Pro, best thing you can do.

-Js[/QUOTE]