lopsided saddle pains

Oughtfour

Guest
I'm testing out a new saddle (it's a Serfas "cosmos," but that doesn't really matter, I think).

Mostly I like the ride, but when I ride my right leg and butt gets a little stressed. Specifically,
some chaffing, some odd muscle soreness, and the feeling that I'm resting uncomfortably more on my
right sit bone than on my left.

It feels as though the saddle is lopsided.

It isn't, of course--*I* am.

Since probably not may people are perfectly symmetrical, I ask: do others have strategies to deal
with this?

For what it's worth: I ride a road bike. And yes, I've been tinkering with the seat position.

Ironically the seat this replaces was a very basic one--just a little padding over a plastic
shell--but it was perfect for me. (It failed.)

Thanks!

27 May 2003 16:26:43 GMT, <[email protected]>, "OughtFour"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm testing out a new saddle (it's a Serfas "cosmos," but that doesn't really matter, I think).
>
>Mostly I like the ride, but when I ride my right leg and butt gets a little stressed. Specifically,
>some chaffing, some odd muscle soreness, and the feeling that I'm resting uncomfortably more on my
>right sit bone than on my left.
>
>It feels as though the saddle is lopsided.
>
>It isn't, of course--*I* am.
>
>Since probably not may people are perfectly symmetrical, I ask: do others have strategies to deal
>with this?
>
>For what it's worth: I ride a road bike. And yes, I've been tinkering with the seat position.
>
>Ironically the seat this replaces was a very basic one--just a little padding over a plastic
>shell--but it was perfect for me. (It failed.)
>
>Thanks!

Try saddles most closely approximating not only the width of your old saddle but its curvature
across that width. Some saddles are flatter in section than others.

Don't discount, without inspection, that the saddle may be lopsided. If it's padded and/or the rails
fixed in elastomeric mounting points, it could very easily always feel lopsided.

Another possibility would be that your old saddle frame distorted to accommodate your anatomy and
that may have led to its failure

You did't mention what you're wearing so I'll assume you're not sitting on your wallet or something.

A fitting at a pro-shop should locate the source of your difficulties.

A therapeutic body worker would be able to point out your asymmetry with a good massage for half
the price.

These sorts of things can usually be fixed by increasing the stack height of the cleat on your
shorter leg.

I'd fart around with different saddle for another week or so but strongly recommend a professional
fitting if your problems persist.
--
zk

Thanks for these suggestions.

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Try saddles most closely approximating not only the width of your old saddle but its curvature
> across that width. Some saddles are flatter in section than others.
>
> Don't discount, without inspection, that the saddle may be lopsided. If it's padded and/or the
> rails fixed in elastomeric mounting points, it could very easily always feel lopsided.
>
> Another possibility would be that your old saddle frame distorted to accommodate your anatomy and
> that may have led to its failure
>
> You did't mention what you're wearing so I'll assume you're not sitting on your wallet or
> something.
>
> A fitting at a pro-shop should locate the source of your difficulties.
>
> A therapeutic body worker would be able to point out your asymmetry with a good massage for half
> the price.
>
> These sorts of things can usually be fixed by increasing the stack height of the cleat on your
> shorter leg.
>
> I'd fart around with different saddle for another week or so but strongly recommend a professional
> fitting if your problems persist.

28 May 2003 19:44:43 GMT, <[email protected]>, "OughtFour"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for these suggestions.

I could go off touting the ability of leather saddles to accommodate slight anatomical
irregularities. The dimples in my saddles aren't identical on each side but they seem to fit me
perfectly.

Should you require it, a bicycle shop that regularly does fittings may be able to recommend a local
sports clinician for some body work or orthopedic prosthetics.

Some minor physical imbalance can be corrected with various "new age" types of therapies focusing on
posture and stretching or using deep massage techniques.

Good luck and let us know your eventual solution.
--
zk

Just like with running shoes, the shape and dynamic function of a bike seat is much more important
than having a lot of cushion and thick padding. If your old, hard seat treated you better, make a
tour of all the second-hand stores and see if you can find one of its litter mates. For years, I
rode on the bare, plastic core of an old seat and it suited me just fine, because it was shaped and
suspended just right. Somewhere, there's another bare-bones seat that is a perfect match for your
fundaments.

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald wrote:
> Just like with running shoes, the shape and dynamic function of a bike seat is much more
> important than having a lot of cushion and thick padding. If your old, hard seat treated you
> better, make a tour of all the second-hand stores and see if you can find one of its litter
> mates.

That was my first thought, too. I even found what looked like a perfect match--same manufacturer,
even. It was so *not,* in the, um, end.

I'm still playing with seat position (and might try raising the handlebars a tad just to see what
that will do) on my new seat. Perhaps it will break me
in.

Thanks!