Los Angeles River/San Gabriel River rides

Tom

Guest
Hello all -

I just moved to Monterey Park and would like to try the rides down both the Rio Hondo/LA River to
Long Beach and San Gabriel River to Seal Beach.

Can somebody tell me where I can access the path somewhere around the Whittier Narrows rec area? I
ended up at a golf course and did not see an obvious way to a path to the Rio Hondo.

Also, what is the best way to connect from the Rio Hondo to the San Gabriel bike path? I've seen the
labikepaths.com web site, but the details regarding the entrances and connections aren't that clear

thanks

-tom

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 22:32:28 -0700, tom wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I just moved to Monterey Park and would like to try the rides down both the Rio Hondo/LA River to
> Long Beach and San Gabriel River to Seal Beach.
>
> Can somebody tell me where I can access the path somewhere around the Whittier Narrows rec area? I
> ended up at a golf course and did not see an obvious way to a path to the Rio Hondo.
>
> Also, what is the best way to connect from the Rio Hondo to the San Gabriel bike path? I've seen
> the labikepaths.com web site, but the details regarding the entrances and connections aren't
> that clear
>
> thanks
>
> -tom

I used to do this ride when I lived in Pasadena, but I do not have a clue where I found the path. I
have never had any problem finding access to a path with a little exploring. Ride a surface street
that crosses over the trail and look for access paths. From the path look for a route in the area
you want to travel.

Richard "Now living around the south end of the SG river" Kaiser Richard Kaiser

tom wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I just moved to Monterey Park and would like to try the rides down both the Rio Hondo/LA River to
> Long Beach

Better say off the LA River, I rode it twice and almost had to fight for my bike but I was
faster then they were.

and San Gabriel River to
> Seal Beach.
>
> Can somebody tell me where I can access the path somewhere around the Whittier Narrows rec area? I
> ended up at a golf course and did not see an obvious way to a path to the Rio Hondo.

Just keep right until you hit the river again, I never paid much attention to going through
there. You cross to the west side then go over to the left just down river. Very nice ride.

Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts

Hi Tom: I used to live in Lakewood down there and rode the Los Cyotes/San Gabrial down to Seal
Beach all the time. We'd go north too, up past where it was dirt as opposed to concrete river. As I
recall we could get on and off the levy at any bridge. Good luck and if you go down into the river
to cross the water in the center, watch out for the slime!! We all went down several times because
of that stuff :)

tom wrote:

> Hello all -
>
> I just moved to Monterey Park and would like to try the rides down both the Rio Hondo/LA River to
> Long Beach and San Gabriel River to Seal Beach.
>
> Can somebody tell me where I can access the path somewhere around the Whittier Narrows rec area? I
> ended up at a golf course and did not see an obvious way to a path to the Rio Hondo.
>
> Also, what is the best way to connect from the Rio Hondo to the San Gabriel bike path? I've seen
> the labikepaths.com web site, but the details regarding the entrances and connections aren't
> that clear
>
> thanks
>
> -tom

Hey, thanks for the messages, guys. I found an entrance near Rosemead/Garvey that I can get to by
using relatively uncrowded streets. Also found the intersection that gets me both to the San Gabriel
River and the Rio Hondo. I definitely look forward to getting down to Long Beach/Seal Beach and
maybe even doing a loop (one down, the other up)

-tom

Bri <"Share,D,Computer"@boeing.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Tom: I used to live in Lakewood down there and rode the Los Cyotes/San Gabrial down to Seal
> Beach all the time. We'd go north too, up past where it was dirt as opposed to concrete river. As
> I recall we could get on and off the levy at any bridge. Good luck and if you go down into the
> river to cross the water in the center, watch out for the slime!! We all went down several times
> because of that stuff :)
>
> tom wrote:
> >
> > Hello all -
> >
> > I just moved to Monterey Park and would like to try the rides down both the Rio Hondo/LA River
> > to Long Beach and San Gabriel River to Seal Beach.
> >
> > Can somebody tell me where I can access the path somewhere around the Whittier Narrows rec area?
> > I ended up at a golf course and did not see an obvious way to a path to the Rio Hondo.
> >
> > Also, what is the best way to connect from the Rio Hondo to the San Gabriel bike path? I've seen
> > the labikepaths.com web site, but the details regarding the entrances and connections aren't
> > that clear
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > -tom

Tom,

They have finally finished the work they were doing on the Rio Hondo / Los Angeles river bikeway in
the Comption area so now you can ride all the way to the beach. Its cool! You do have to walk your
bike about 10 feet past some dirt stuff (unless you are riding with a mountain bike) but it is easy
to get through and worth it. I like this ride better than the San Gabriel river as there is
diversity of scenery, even though it is more urban. You can also do the "loop" if you want.

Cheers,

Tom

news:[email protected]...