Los Angeles Times Article "Today, Helmets for All"

landotter wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
>> http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pchla

> Hotels should require that guests that use the minibar wear those
> surfing helmets in case they decide to shower under the influence.
>
> A bit of a hysterical piece, especially the call for pole vaulting
> lids, when statistically, it's very safe.

Even if it weren't statistically safe, how much good can a lid do if someone
lands flat on his or her head from 17-18 feet in the air?

I say do the vaulting events in full-body bubble suits. Might add some
interest to the meets...

On 24 Jul 2006 20:20:38 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Joe Riel wrote:
>> http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pchla

>Hotels should require that guests that use the minibar wear those
>surfing helmets in case they decide to shower under the influence.

Or in case they hit the deck after passing out when they see the
"maxi" price list.

>A bit of a hysterical piece, especially the call for pole vaulting
>lids, when statistically, it's very safe.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> landotter wrote:
> > Joe Riel wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health

> >> or
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/pchla

> > Hotels should require that guests that use the minibar wear those
> > surfing helmets in case they decide to shower under the influence.
> >
> > A bit of a hysterical piece, especially the call for pole vaulting
> > lids, when statistically, it's very safe.

> Even if it weren't statistically safe, how much good can a lid do if

someone
> lands flat on his or her head from 17-18 feet in the air?

Just about as much good as it would do a cyclist traveling at 23 miles an
hour.

The maths are left as an exercise for the reader. Sorni can stay after
class if he needs extra help.

Marcus Coles wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
> > http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/pchla
> >

> A seriously flawed article that doesn't take the number of participants
> into account when quoting injury figures.
>
> I feel safer riding my bicycle than bouncing on a trampoline despite
> what the figures on page 3 and 4 may imply.

I'd definitely wear one if I combined both activies.

You're right about the article being disingenuous about the facts and
figures. I'd rather see straight up numbers, like how many fatal or
disabling injuries per yearly participation in X activity.

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Marcus Coles wrote:
> > Joe Riel wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health

> > > or
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/pchla
> > >

> > A seriously flawed article that doesn't take the number of participants
> > into account when quoting injury figures.
> >
> > I feel safer riding my bicycle than bouncing on a trampoline despite
> > what the figures on page 3 and 4 may imply.

> I'd definitely wear one if I combined both activies.
>
> You're right about the article being disingenuous about the facts and
> figures. I'd rather see straight up numbers, like how many fatal or
> disabling injuries per yearly participation in X activity.

For bicycling (all forms) the figures for death run about one per 450 years
of cycling 24 hours a day non-stop.

Trampolining I don't know, but it would have to be several orders of
magnitude higher, and helmets several orders of magnitude better, for
wearing one to be worthwhile.

jtaylor wrote:
> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Even if it weren't statistically safe, how much good can a lid do if
>> someone lands flat on his or her head from 17-18 feet in the air?

> Just about as much good as it would do a cyclist traveling at 23
> miles an hour.
>
> The maths are left as an exercise for the reader. Sorni can stay
> after class if he needs extra help.

Yes, please explain how a fall straight down on one's head from close to 20'
in the air is similar /in any way/ to a sideways skidding crash on a bicycle
at close to 20 mph.

I'd stay /well/ after class to hear you explain that one! LOL

"PWF: Pathetic Weasel Flailor". Perhaps I should add "pathological post
humper" to it, too.

Nah, pathetic says it best.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jtaylor wrote:
> > "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Even if it weren't statistically safe, how much good can a lid do if
> >> someone lands flat on his or her head from 17-18 feet in the air?

> > Just about as much good as it would do a cyclist traveling at 23
> > miles an hour.
> >
> > The maths are left as an exercise for the reader. Sorni can stay
> > after class if he needs extra help.

> Yes, please explain how a fall straight down on one's head from close to

20'
> in the air is similar /in any way/ to a sideways skidding crash on a

bicycle
> at close to 20 mph.

If you are going to introduce the probability of rotational injury, be aware
that the amount of energy required for severe brain damage in that mode is
roughly (working from memory) an order of magnitude less than for frontal
impacts.

A sideways skidding crash with a ground-grabbing helmet is therefore likely
as dangerous as a fall from much lower than 17-18 feet.

landotter wrote:
> Joe Riel wrote:
> > http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-helmets24jul24,0,4112865.story?coll=la-home-health
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/pchla

> Hotels should require that guests that use the minibar wear those
> surfing helmets in case they decide to shower under the influence.
>
> A bit of a hysterical piece, especially the call for pole vaulting
> lids, when statistically, it's very safe.

The absurdity of pole vaulting helmets can be gauged by looking at the
thickness of the Porta-Pit that they are supposed to fall on.

Not to mention noting that, as the vault heights have been getting
higher, some have been complaining that even the current thickness is
inadequate.

A helmet for SURFING?

I know SoCal has a real problem with heavy metals polluting their
oceans, but REALLY!

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

jtaylor said:

For bicycling (all forms) the figures for death run about one per 450 years
of cycling 24 hours a day non-stop.
But surely that would from exhaustion. :rolleyes:

"Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A helmet for SURFING?
>
> I know SoCal has a real problem with heavy metals polluting their
> oceans, but REALLY!

Just wait.

They have State laws that require helmets for many activities - indeed they
passed the very first of these, back in 1987.

Push-bikes, skateboards, scooters, in-line skates now...surfing and walking
may well be next.

Can you say "Nanny State"?

jtaylor wrote:
> "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>A helmet for SURFING?
>>
>>I know SoCal has a real problem with heavy metals polluting their
>>oceans, but REALLY!
>>

> Just wait.
>
> They have State laws that require helmets for many activities - indeed they
> passed the very first of these, back in 1987.
>
> Push-bikes, skateboards, scooters, in-line skates now...surfing and walking
> may well be next.
>
> Can you say "Nanny State"?

What's a push-bike?

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

> jtaylor wrote:
> > "Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>A helmet for SURFING?
> >>
> >>I know SoCal has a real problem with heavy metals polluting their
> >>oceans, but REALLY!
> >>

> > Just wait.
> >
> > They have State laws that require helmets for many activities - indeed

they
> > passed the very first of these, back in 1987.
> >
> > Push-bikes, skateboards, scooters, in-line skates now...surfing and

walking
> > may well be next.
> >
> > Can you say "Nanny State"?
> >

> What's a push-bike?

A cycle powered by human feet, rather than an infernal engine.

jtaylor wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>jtaylor wrote:
>>
>>>"Chris Z The Wheelman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Just wait.
>>>
>>>They have State laws that require helmets for many activities - indeed

> they
>
>>>passed the very first of these, back in 1987.
>>>
>>>Push-bikes, skateboards, scooters, in-line skates now...surfing and

> walking
>
>>>may well be next.
>>>
>>>Can you say "Nanny State"?
>>>

>>What's a push-bike?
>>

> A cycle powered by human feet, rather than an infernal engine.

So you run along side and push the handlebars? That doesn't sound very fun.

Greg
--

"G.T." <[email protected]> writes:

>>>What's a push-bike?
>>>

>> A cycle powered by human feet, rather than an infernal engine.
>>

> So you run along side and push the handlebars? That doesn't sound very fun.

I suppose you could, but most people find it easier to sit
on the saddle and use the pedals.

--
Joe Riel

"Joe Riel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >> A cycle powered by human feet, rather than an infernal engine.
> >>

> > So you run along side and push the handlebars? That doesn't sound very

fun.

> I suppose you could, but most people find it easier to sit
> on the saddle and use the pedals.

With my arms?

Greg

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:30:55 GMT, Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> A cycle powered by human feet, rather than an infernal engine.
>>>

>> So you run along side and push the handlebars? That doesn't sound very fun.

>I suppose you could, but most people find it easier to sit
>on the saddle and use the pedals.

Dear Joe and G.T.,

While the definition is elastic, this is a typical push bike:

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11316421/Kids_Push_Bike.html

No pedals, toddler sits on it and pushes himself around, gets the idea
of a bicycle.

The larger adult version first appeared in 1817 when Karl Von Drais
added steering to the hobbyhorse:

http://www.bicycletrips.com/Tour-1817smart.html

Makes you realize how overcomplicated fixies are.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel