Lose Bodyfat, Retain Muscle

chitown

Jul 17, 2004
I am a dedicated 17 year old, 5' 9" male who weighs 147 lbs with about 12.5% bodyfat. I am trying to reduce my bodyfat while still retaining my muscle mass to be able to perform better in the climbs. My current diet to reduce that weight while not losing muscle consists of 2000 calories a day. I consume 34 grams of fat, 275 grams of carbohydrates, and 150 grams of protein. I have noticed a weight loss of about 5 lbs since I started two weeks ago and I am still able to perform well on my strength routines, indicating to me that I am retaining my muscle mass. What I am considering doing is switching this diet to one more traditionally used by cyclists because I think that the 150 grams of protein may be a bit high. I am considering the following: 2000 calores, 56 grams of fat, 300 grams of carbohydrates, and 75 grams of protein. I would appreciate it if anyone would be able to tell me if I should be able to retain my muscle mass on the latter diet while still losing bodyfat. Thank you.

chitown said:
I am a dedicated 17 year old, 5' 9" male who weighs 147 lbs with about 12.5% bodyfat. I am trying to reduce my bodyfat while still retaining my muscle mass to be able to perform better in the climbs. My current diet to reduce that weight while not losing muscle consists of 2000 calories a day. I consume 34 grams of fat, 275 grams of carbohydrates, and 150 grams of protein. I have noticed a weight loss of about 5 lbs since I started two weeks ago and I am still able to perform well on my strength routines, indicating to me that I am retaining my muscle mass. What I am considering doing is switching this diet to one more traditionally used by cyclists because I think that the 150 grams of protein may be a bit high. I am considering the following: 2000 calores, 56 grams of fat, 300 grams of carbohydrates, and 75 grams of protein. I would appreciate it if anyone would be able to tell me if I should be able to retain my muscle mass on the latter diet while still losing bodyfat. Thank you.

Sounds like 2000 calories/day is about right for you to produce a slow and steady weigh loss now. 75 grams of quality protein a day should be plenty....you weigh 67 kg, so that's still over 1 gm/kg body weight. I'd suggest cutting the fat even more, down to about 30-40 grams, and adding the calories you save back in carbs. Vegetables and fruits are of course the best source of carbs, not sugary desserts.

You may need to increase total carb calories as you start training more, so you don't lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. Standard advice for athletes is to create a daily calorie deficit of not more than 500 calories while training. If you lose 10 pounds of fat, your bodyfat will be down in the 6% percent range...believe that's as low as you want to go.

dhk said:
If you lose 10 pounds of fat, your bodyfat will be down in the 6% percent range...believe that's as low as you want to go.

What I was thinking was I'll keep going at 2000 calories per day until I am down to around 6-7% bodyfat which should put me at around 140 lbs or so. Once I get down there, I'll raise my calories to around 2500-2800 per day so that I can maintain my weight with around 400-450 grams of carbohydrates, 60-80 grams of fat, and around 75-100 grams of protein.

Now, is this a healthy riding weight? I really have no idea what most riders weigh. While 6-7% may be a good percent bodyfat, I am curious as to whether 140 lbs will be too light and I should add on some muscle during the winter by weight lifting. My friend who is studying community health right now says that it would be optimal for me to weigh around 155 lbs or so with around 10% or less bodyfat for performance purposes. I figure I could use those months to bulk up to make 155 my lean weight and burn off the rest come spring so that I can be at a good weight for the summer races.

chitown said:
What I was thinking was I'll keep going at 2000 calories per day until I am down to around 6-7% bodyfat which should put me at around 140 lbs or so. Once I get down there, I'll raise my calories to around 2500-2800 per day so that I can maintain my weight with around 400-450 grams of carbohydrates, 60-80 grams of fat, and around 75-100 grams of protein.

Now, is this a healthy riding weight? I really have no idea what most riders weigh. While 6-7% may be a good percent bodyfat, I am curious as to whether 140 lbs will be too light and I should add on some muscle during the winter by weight lifting. My friend who is studying community health right now says that it would be optimal for me to weigh around 155 lbs or so with around 10% or less bodyfat for performance purposes. I figure I could use those months to bulk up to make 155 my lean weight and burn off the rest come spring so that I can be at a good weight for the summer races.

At 5'9", 140 lbs wouldn't be too light, particularly if you plan to be climbing a lot. Some weights wouldn't hurt over winter, but also keep up cycling or other aerobic cross-training too. At 17, you'll probably add some muscle naturally over the next year or two anyway. Remember, every pound of muscle you add to your upper body is just more you have to carry up the hills.

right then your body needs 15 grms of fat pr meal ,your body needs 1 grms of protien pr lb of body weight pr day ,carbohydrates will not make your muscels grow its fuel for them muscels with out the fuel your have no go to burn the fat off but to meny carbohydrates will be stored as fat ,,so its protien and a few carbs after a good work out and load up on carbs before the work out,,,and your better of haveing 6 small meals a day than 3 big ones keeps the fire burning

chitown said:

Unless you're noticably overweight I would be wary of consciously calorie restricting at 17 years of age, for reasons of both health and psychology. It's impossible for anyone on this forum to identify your correct body composition - you need to see a sports scientist or sports doc. If you're still growing cutting your calories IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. If you really feel it's necessary consult with a coach, sports scientist or doc.

By the way, cross-training (as suggested by dhk) is very very unlikely to help your bike riding.

Good luck with the sport!

why should he cut down on fat! fat, don't cut back on fats just increase your protein intake. if you require more calories then eat something plain and simple don't starve yourself if you want to count calories then count them.

check your calorie intake, ive provided a link to where you can gather a little information calories depend on frequency intensity and time spent exercising not only that but the added affects upon energy provided by your bmr (amount of calories burned whist organs function alone.)

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ here you can work out how many calories you require, remember the more carbs you eat anything that isn't used will be stored.

you know you need protein since proteinis constantly broke down also because it forms the structure of every cell in the body, about 3 quaters of the dry weight of the human bbody is protein, overall it comprises some 20% of the total bbody weight. this is necessary for the constant repair ofdamaged tissues a constant and regular supply is required to compensate the continual loss that occur within the body.

these proteins are constantly being broken down (catabolism) (anabolism) is building back up within every cell.some of them are recycled and others aren't, but there is always an overall loss, you will need the extra to allow for the new tissue growth.

the extra protein can also be used as aditional fuel yielding 4kcal/g 17kj/g.

however when glycogen is in short supply (eg during dieting or towards the end of a strenuous workout)increasedv quantities are converted into energy by some 10% of the fuel mixture. this occurs at the extent of tissue muscle and organ of the like.

that is why there is little or no gains when training on a low carb diet, if you say that you require 1.4 to 1.7g per kilogram of your body weight perday for strength and sprint training

other than that 1.2 - 1.7g\kg\day this suited to the power strength and sprint
activities, the lower end 1.2-1.4 g\kg this is more suited to that of the endurance athlete protein should compromise of 12-15% of the total energy intake, the same as for a sedentary person.

overall exercise causes a breakdown of protein, which ultimately affects the bodies requirements, inturn the more you exercise the more protein your body will require, the intensity is also crucial to your protein needs, exercise is a trigger that activate enzymes that oxidises certain amino acids. the greater the stimulas the greater the enzyme activation and protein breakdown if you don't eat enough protein you will suffer from the effects of net loss of lean tissue which will eventually effect your overal strength and performance.

hope this helps you, check the link just to check your required calories i require 2500 for BMR alone BMR plus an aditional 3000kcal for exercise alone.

BMR (basal metabolic rate) this is the energy that is used whilst organs function alone, without even bringing in exercise and activity which is totally extra

1hr of moderate cycling for you at your age and weight requires

Totals from Previous Calculations
467 calories in 1 hr

now you got your other activities.

even eating breathing and sleeping...... i think maybe you have misscalculated calories you require whilst sitting alone doing nothing.

Example of BMR
You are 17 years old
You are 5,9 feet tall
Your weight is 147 pounds

Your BMR is
66 + (915.5) + (795) - (115.5) = 1661.1 calories

BMR = 66 + (13.7 X weight in kilos) + (5 X height in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

66+(13.7x66.8) + (5x159)-(6.8x17)

66+915.5+795-115.5=1661.1

calories of energy used by whilst doing nothing for example if you sit or just sleep for 24hrs this is what you would require.

To determine your total daily calorie needs, now multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
  • If you are Sedentary - little or no exercise
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.2
  • If you are Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.375
  • If you are Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.55
  • If you are Very Active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/week)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.725
  • If you are Extra Active (very hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training)
    Calorie-Calculation = BMR X 1.9
1661.1 x activity level = 1661.1 x 1.55= 2574.705 calories required remembering that 15% of this is to be energy from protein or protein intake

39x1.8x24=1684.8

plus if you want to burn off fat try training for shorter durations over longer periods of time, ie hill climb recover then repeat over, whilst your recovering your body will burn fat stores from either muscle fats or liver fats etc...

since a mixture of fats and glycogen are more readily available an more likely to be used whist recovering rather than burning constant glycogen supplies and pyruvate. don't restrict less than 300 kcal perday plus every time your age, weight changes or your height then so does your BMR,so each day your calorie intake may differ, if you intend on counting calories don't restrict to much or you and your performance will suffer.

energy values:

1gram provides

carbohydrates 16kj (4kcal)
fat 37kj (9kcal)
protein 17kj (4kcal)
alcohol 23kj (7kcal)

lower intensity exercise or recovery 60% of the energy that is required comes from fat

(example)

Male 17, 5' 9", 147 lb BMI=21.7 RMR=1,682
Bicycling - general (recovery) 10 minutes requires =
89 calories (recovery) 53.4 calories will come from fat stores