Losing weight but can't hold onto muscle mass

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Steven Chen, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Steven Chen

Steven Chen New Member

Hi Guys,

I use to weight around 107kg and ever since I have gotten onto cycling, I have lost 11kg now. But there is a problem now: My weight is dropping, but so is my muscle weight, and worst of them all the level of fat is changing only slightly.

I have kicked up my protein in take recently: 2 shakes of Why per day-60g-and snap up the rest in real food. I take calcium since I drink coffee and multi-vitamin daily.

I use a Nokia Weight Scanner, where it through electro, is able to scan for the distribution of weight between Muscle, Fat, Water, and Bone density.

About me: I have ridden for 3 months now. Average 200km+ per week. Mostly ride on Zwift with Wahoo Kickr. FTP improved from 140-240 now. My daily TSS is within the attachment.

What do you guys think I should do? Can I hold onto the muscle mass or am I doomed to lose some of it?

Thanks guys,

Panda

Attached Files:

Tags:

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I envy your condition of losing weight although I understand that loss of muscle is alarming. I am not pretending to be a nutritionist but I think the problem is what you suspect - the intake of the proper food. When I started losing weight with my regular riding, I was also dieting so what I did to stop the dropping weight was to eat normally again with the usual amount of food. But with the loss of muscle, maybe you are right with the protein intake because I have read about boxers eating a lot of meat to gain muscle weight when they are on training for a fight.

3. treecko142

treecko142 Member

I had the same problem as you, but at that time I didn't realize my protein intake was really low. 1.0-1.5 g/kg bodyweight of protein intake per day is a good start if you regularly bike to preserve muscle. Basically whatever amount of calories you are taking in per day, replace either carbs or fats with more protein (if you're taking less than 1.0 g/kg bw) but don't increase calorie intake.

4. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

In my opinion, you need to go to the gym for a thorough workout, you need to pump some iron and develop your muscles, cycling simply won't cut it when it comes to muscle mass. I would suggest going to the gym 3x to 4x a week to work out your muscles and give you mass.

5. Steve5

Steve5 Member

I've also experienced some weight loss due to cycling. It helps to adjust your food intake and the type of foods you eat. Consulting with a professional can make a difference. They know their stuff really well.

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

In my opinion you really need muscle mass and cycling alone won't develop your body you need a complete workout targeting problem areas and you can easily address that by going to the gym and getting a good program for a workout.

7. DenisP

DenisP Member

Before I continue, I want to preface my statement by saying, optimally, you should consult a trained physician or nutritionist before making any sort of drastic lifestyle changes. I'm going to assume that most of us here aren't really qualified to be giving such advice. That being said, I can address a number of factors which might be causing you to lose muscle mass.

Firstly, cycling doesn't build muscle, at least not in the average person. Unless you're training for the Tour de France, you're not going to have noticeably toned legs, and absolutely nothing will occur in your upper body. Cycling absolutely does work your leg muscles, but in moderate amounts it isn't anywhere near as effective as actual strength training.

Second, if you're losing weight by cutting more calories than necessary, you're doing more harm than good. The protein from your whey shakes isn't going to be used to rebuild your muscles if your body is looking to burn anything that goes inside of it because it needs energy. Calculate how many calories you burn in a day based on your height, age, and weight, and then give yourself a deficit of 500 calories a day maximum. This is considered the healthiest rate for weight loss.

If I were in your situation, I'd slow down my rate of weight loss by adding more calories and integrating a strength training routine into my regular exercise schedule.

Good luck! And remember, consult a trained professional who is actually qualified to help you.