Losing weight without losing power

Originally posted by Roy Gardiner
But if you look at the post in question that's how it comes out.

It's not your fault, nested quoting does not work here, but one can construct them properly (as I've also shown above). One has to be careful, as demonstrated by posts here with unmatched
tags. One should use the Preview button, of course.

If any moderator or site programmer is watching, this is an improvement waiting to be made.
Hay Roy,

You'll need to PM 'steve' or leave a message in the site feedback forum for this one.

Not sure where all the "absurd and looney statement" stuff has come from as it all makes sense to me.

Originally posted by ricstern
Best bet is to probably give up weights (weight will decrease with loss of muscle mass) and to up your cycling. Are you riding mid-week?

Ric

Due to work schedule, the only time I can really ride is on weekends (weather permitting), which is mainly going all out on Saturday (40-50mi), and do my recovery ride on Sunday (60-80mi).

Weightlifting-wise, I do it 2x a week focusing mainly on my lower body (legs), abs and back. The rest of it are high reps on chest, back, shoulders and arms.

Originally posted by tanggoman
Due to work schedule, the only time I can really ride is on weekends (weather permitting), which is mainly going all out on Saturday (40-50mi), and do my recovery ride on Sunday (60-80mi).

are the numbers minutes or miles?

Weightlifting-wise, I do it 2x a week focusing mainly on my lower body (legs), abs and back. The rest of it are high reps on chest, back, shoulders and arms.

not sure i fully understand... if you have time to weight train could you not cycle instead?

ric

Not sure i fully understand... if you have time to weight train could you not cycle instead?

ric
Or some aerobic exercise if you can't cycle?

are the numbers minutes or miles?

I average 3hours on Sat and 4-5hours on Sunday.

not sure i fully understand... if you have time to weight train could you not cycle instead?

ric

I lift weights very early in the morning, around 5am and go to work at around 8am and go home around 7pm, so no time to really go out and ride the bike...

I average 3hours on Sat and 4-5hours on Sunday.

there's no way that your sunday ride could be a recovery ride (as mentioned previously). recovery rides don't exceed 2-hrs tops and that'd be for an elite pro. did you mean a long ride instead?

I lift weights very early in the morning, around 5am and go to work at around 8am and go home around 7pm, so no time to really go out and ride the bike...

do you not have a trainer or rollers you can use. a biking session doesn't need to be long... i've done some nasty ones in just over 30-mins. or what about a run? or swim?

ric

do you not have a trainer or rollers you can use. a biking session doesn't need to be long... i've done some nasty ones in just over 30-mins. or what about a run? or swim?

ric

Sorry for the confusion... I do 3-4hrs on Sat and about 2-2.5hours for recovery rides...

So my sked would be

(1) If is weather is nasty (I cant go on for more than 1hr on a trainer)
Sat - Interval training (1hr) on trainer
Sun - Easy spinning (1hr) on trainer

(2) If weather is nice -
Sat - I go all out (hills and flats), 3-4hrs (50-60miles)
Sun - Recovery ride, 2-2.5hrs

And then 2days of 1 hr each for weight training.

Thanks

now i'm really confused... see mine and yours previous messages.

ric

Nevermind my previous post, this would be my sked

(2) If weather is nice -

Thanks

Nevermind my previous post, this would be my sked

why not complete a slightly easier session on the saturday and a harder (than recovery) on sunday?

(2) If weather is nice -

also, as above. by getting in two moderate sessions it's likely better for your fitness

Thanks

as previously mentioned, if you are doing endurance cycling (that's anything over ~90-secs) then weight training isn't really going to help you. obviously, in your current situation it will (any exercise is better than no exercise), but you'll be fitter (for cycling) with more cycle training/aerobic exercise and dropping the weights. is there any reason why you don't use an indoor trainer for the two 1-hr sessions or swim/run etc?

ric

as previously mentioned, if you are doing endurance cycling (that's anything over ~90-secs) then weight training isn't really going to help you. obviously, in your current situation it will (any exercise is better than no exercise), but you'll be fitter (for cycling) with more cycle training/aerobic exercise and dropping the weights. is there any reason why you don't use an indoor trainer for the two 1-hr sessions or swim/run etc?

ric [/B]

Hi ric, mind if I jump in ? ;-)

I have just finished reading this book :

The Cyclist's Training Bible
by Joe Friel

The author of this book seems to include weight pretty all year round during the training year. I currently do not do any weights.

I was wondering if it would be a mistake on my part to build a yearly training plan without including weight training?

I must say I do no particularly enjoy doing weights I prefer riding on my trainer instead?

Could I substitute the weights for pushups and situps or others exercises that do not require weights ?

I am wondering about getting a power meter and in your opinion would the money be better invested in a PT or in one year of weights access?

thanks for your advice

redstorm

Originally posted by redstorm
Hi ric, mind if I jump in ? ;-)

be my guest!

I have just finished reading this book :

The Cyclist's Training Bible
by Joe Friel

The author of this book seems to include weight pretty all year round during the training year. I currently do not do any weights.

I was wondering if it would be a mistake on my part to build a yearly training plan without including weight training?

not at all, assuming that you are an endurance racing cyclist of some sort. in fact, apart from the article i quoted above (see http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern) we had an extensive thread on the subject of weight training see http://www.cyclingforums.com/t38904.html

in terms of endurance cycling performance, there's no benefits to weight training in trained riders, and certainly reasons to assume that it's detrimental to performance

I must say I do no particularly enjoy doing weights I prefer riding on my trainer instead?

Could I substitute the weights for pushups and situps or others exercises that do not require weights ?

there's no reason to think pushups or situps etc would be beneficial to cycling either

I am wondering about getting a power meter and in your opinion would the money be better invested in a PT or in one year of weights access?

thanks for your advice

redstorm

a power meter would be a much better investment, especially considering that weights are likely to be detrimental

ric

why not complete a slightly easier session on the saturday and a harder (than recovery) on sunday?
What will the benefits be if I do an easy ride on Sat and a harder one on Sunday?

ric
I have an indoor trainer I use especially on nasty weather, but if weather permitting, as much as I can I go out and ride the bike...

What will the benefits be if I do an easy ride on Sat and a harder one on Sunday?

perhaps i wasn't clear enough as i was in a hurry. I'm not suggesting you do an *easy* ride on saturdays, i'm suggesting that you do a *slightly* easier (than you currently do) ride on saturday -- this way you'll be more recovered for the sunday and will be able to ride more intensely than you are currently doing (on the sunday). Thus, you'll get in two moderately hard rides which would be (generally) better for fitness than a hard and an easy ride.

I have an indoor trainer I use especially on nasty weather, but if weather permitting, as much as I can I go out and ride the bike...

why not drop the weight training and do the 2 x 1-hr mid week sessions on the trainer? this would be much better for your fitness and aid weight loss (which i think was your original query)

Ric

perhaps i wasn't clear enough as i was in a hurry. I'm not suggesting you do an *easy* ride on saturdays, i'm suggesting that you do a *slightly* easier (than you currently do) ride on saturday -- this way you'll be more recovered for the sunday and will be able to ride more intensely than you are currently doing (on the sunday). Thus, you'll get in two moderately hard rides which would be (generally) better for fitness than a hard and an easy ride.

why not drop the weight training and do the 2 x 1-hr mid week sessions on the trainer? this would be much better for your fitness and aid weight loss (which i think was your original query)

Ric

Thanks for all the advices Ric and to everyone that gave too! I really appreciate it! I'll take a note on the 2 moderately hard rides you suggested and also the trainer on mid week. Thanks again!

I think specificity should be emphasized in this discussion. Resistance training with weights, especially low rep high resistance will build muscle mass and strength, but the development will be most specific to lifting iron. In my experinece, the best way to gain cycling specific strength is to do a lot of climbing or try to turn a large gear. However, this can be stressful on the knees, so you should first prepare with some easy base miles and add the resistance component gradually.

Regarding weight loss, there is no doubt that you must burn more calories than you consume. However, this is an added stress to the body so you should be careful to get high quality food, lots of rest, and reduce the other stresses in your life, including training. The best time (and the hardest time for me) to lose is in the off season. Keep the intensity of your training low so your fat catabolism can keep up with your energy demands and the stress is minimized.

The most important thing is the displine to stick with a moderate and resonable program - good luck!

Originally posted by lundback
I think specificity should be emphasized in this discussion. Resistance training with weights, especially low rep high resistance will build muscle mass and strength, but the development will be most specific to lifting iron.

agreed

In my experinece, the best way to gain cycling specific strength is to do a lot of climbing or try to turn a large gear.

the only real way to develop strength through cycling is to do lots of standing starts. climbing and big gears will *not* increase strength as the forces are very low (in endurance cycling).

Regarding weight loss, there is no doubt that you must burn more calories than you consume. However, this is an added stress to the body so you should be careful to get high quality food, lots of rest, and reduce the other stresses in your life, including training.

i'm not sure that this makes sense? if you reduce your energy intake and reduce your expenditure (reducing training) then the status quo will remain -- you won't loose weight.

ric

Hi Ric,

Yes, standing starts probably provide the greatest cycling specific strength training. I like to think of this as being on a continuem - low cadence at a sustainable rate (aerobic) will provide the least strength simulus while Low cadence at an anaerobic rate (high power) will provide the most and should be repeated (intervals) a resonable number of times. Of course, cadence begins at zero from a standing start. This type of strength training should be emphasized by kilo and pursuit riders for obvious reasons. Those interested in mountainous endurance cycling typically aren't served as well by this type of training, although they may incorporate it during certain periods of the year.

For loosing weight, keep in mind that being in caloric deficit is an added stress to the body. I would recommend increasing training duration or intesity in tandem with weight lose, at least for an extended period.

Steve

Originally posted by lundback
Hi Ric,

Yes, standing starts probably provide the greatest cycling specific strength training. I like to think of this as being on a continuem - low cadence at a sustainable rate (aerobic) will provide the least strength simulus while Low cadence at an anaerobic rate (high power) will provide the most and should be repeated (intervals) a resonable number of times.

just to emphasize my previous point: neither low cadence easy work or low cadence at high power will incease strength. even at seemingly low cadence/high power the forces are very low

Of course, cadence begins at zero from a standing start. This type of strength training should be emphasized by kilo and pursuit riders for obvious reasons. Those interested in mountainous endurance cycling typically aren't served as well by this type of training, although they may incorporate it during certain periods of the year.

it isn't going to have much use if any use for a pursuit rider (in terms of strength gain), but may for the skill aspect of starting. it'll have even less (i.e. zero) use for mountainous (road) racing

For loosing weight, keep in mind that being in caloric deficit is an added stress to the body. I would recommend increasing training duration or intesity in tandem with weight lose, at least for an extended period.

Steve

agreed. but, isn't this the opposite of what you previously said, i.e. you recommended reducing training along with energy intake

ric

Ric,

Sorry, I forgot the 'nt. Glad someones reading! I'll ponder this more when I have time.

Steve