Losing weight

bigchina

Jan 19, 2004
i've been riding XC for about 7 months and i want to get involved in some racing. i just put together a new bike from new parts and parts left over from my '04 hard rock and i want to get it as light as i can, or at least shed most of the unnecessary pounds. i don't really know what areas are considered "heavy" from those that are fairly light. i was hoping you guys (or gals) could help point out which areas i could improve on as far as weight goes. here is my current setup:

Frame: 2003 Jamis Komodo 21"(4.0lbs)
F. Derailleur: Shimano LX (123 grams)
R. Derailleur: Shimano Deore (300 grams)
Fork: Marzocchi MZ Comp 100mm, steel steerer, elastomer/coil spring
Headset: Cane Creek ZS-2 (117 grams)
Brakes: Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes 6" rotors
Crank: Truvativ ISO Flow, alloy
Chainrings: 42t Cr-Mo x 32t heat-treated Cr-Mo x 22t heat-treated Cr-Mo
Shifter/Brake Levers: Deore Mega 9 (439 grams)
Cassette: 9 speed Shimano XT
Rims: Alex DM-20 (around 600 grams)
Tires: Specialized Enduro Sport, wire bead
Handlebar: Alloy, 38mm rise, 9 degree sweep
Stem: Specialized Mobius, alloy, 10 degree rise
F. Hub: Joy-Tech, double sealed loose ball w/ alloy QR
R. Hub: Joy-Tech, freehub, double sealed loose ball w/ alloy QR
Saddle: Specialized Body Geometry Sport ATB

If you want to loose weight fast, tires are the first place to look. You can sometimes drop anywhere from 1/2 to maybe 2 pounds merely by changing tires. Pick up a set of light racing tires and tubes. Other than that, your bikes componentry ain't too shabby but none of it is really race lite stuff. You will need to do some major upgrading to loose significant weight. The fork/post/bar/stem areas are usually the easiest to start with and make some of the most significant weight savings. Drivetrain component weight isn't that significantly different from the higher end groups so you might want to leave that for last.

cool, that gives me something to think about. on the subject of tires, ive looked around, but i havent been very successful in finding a light XC tire. i dont want tubeless or something too wide. i'm looking for something around 2-2.1", fast tread for mostly hardpack, some sand, some rock. i dont usually ride in mud so i dont care about mud traction. any suggestions?

Michelin Comp S Light and Hutchinson Python Air Light are some of your best bets. Both are 2.0. The Comp S is one of the best all around tires and the Python is probably the best dry condition/hardpack tread out there. Both tires weigh in at under 500 grams. Also remember to get a relatively light tube. Some cheopo deneric tubes can weight over half a pound more than a good light tube.

I ride the comp s and It is a very good tire. I ride on slightly rocky xc trails, and even though they are the only tire I have used they are great.

You are looking at the same tire. One store has it cheaper, thats all. Pythons only come in kevlar bead. Both the Comp S and Python are available it tube and tubeless versions.