Loss of a rider with real class

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Udo Bolts is calling it quits at the end of this year. Having gotten to know him and his family a
    little bit this is a sad day for racing. He's been a solid racer and even better person. I'll be
    really sorry to see him go. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Roy Ellefsen

    Roy Ellefsen Guest

    "TritonRider" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...
    > Udo Bolts is calling it quits at the end of this year. Having gotten to know him and his family a
    > little bit this is a sad day for racing. He's been a solid racer and even better person. I'll be
    > really sorry to see him go. Bill C

    Udo Bölts - without a doubt the best domestique of the past ten years.
    --
    Roy Ellefsen

  3. > Udo Bölts - without a doubt the best domestique of the past ten years.
    > --
    > Roy Ellefsen

    Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck, without having to
    produce results.

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Callistus Valerius"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Udo Bölts - without a doubt the best domestique of the past ten years.
    > > --
    > > Roy Ellefsen
    > >

    > Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck, without having to produce
    > results.

    Udo Bölts job was to work for his team leader - which he did far better than most. He was never
    expected to have "results". You haven't followed bicycle racing long, have you, Callista?

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Read. Think. Type. Send.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  5. Didn't Udo Bölts win the San Sebastian Classic a few years ago?

    >In article <[email protected]>, "Callistus Valerius"
    <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >

    >> > Udo Bölts - without a doubt the best domestique of the past ten years.
    >> > --
    >> > Roy Ellefsen
    >> >

    >> Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck, without having to produce
    >> results.
    >>

    > Udo Bölts job was to work for his team leader - which he did far better
    than most. He was never
    >expected to have "results". You haven't followed bicycle racing long, have
    you, Callista?

    >--
    > tanx, Howard
    >
    >Read. Think. Type. Send.
    >
    >remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
    >
    >For some people, quantity IS quality...

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    No. He did win a short stage race some time back though. I wish the UCI web site allowed searches of
    rider's palmares.

    > Didn't Udo Bölts win the San Sebastian Classic a few years ago?
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, "Callistus Valerius"
    > <[email protected]>

    > >> Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck,
    without
    > >> having to produce results.
    > >>

    > > Udo Bölts job was to work for his team leader - which he did far
    better
    > than most. He was never
    > >expected to have "results". You haven't followed bicycle racing long,
    have
    > you, Callista?
    > >
    > >--
    > > tanx, Howard
    > >
    > >Read. Think. Type. Send.
    > >
    > >remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
    > >
    > >For some people, quantity IS quality...

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I am totally wrong, he won in 1996. How did I forget that?

    http://www.team.malarenergi.se/probike/classics/sanseb.html

    > Didn't Udo Bölts win the San Sebastian Classic a few years ago?
    >
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, "Callistus Valerius"
    > <[email protected]>

    > >> Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck,
    without
    > >> having to produce results.
    > >>

    > > Udo Bölts job was to work for his team leader - which he did far
    better
    > than most. He was never
    > >expected to have "results". You haven't followed bicycle racing long,
    have
    > you, Callista?
    > >
    > >--
    > > tanx, Howard
    > >
    > >Read. Think. Type. Send.
    > >
    > >remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?
    > >
    > >For some people, quantity IS quality...

  8. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    his palmares (atlaes part of it) may be at cyclingnews.... their article mentioned about 4 or 5
    notable wins... not many but then hard working domestique types don't get many chances...

  9. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    >> Udo Bölts - without a doubt the best domestique of the past ten years. -- Roy Ellefsen
    >>

    > Bolts is just one of many who found a way to collect a paycheck, without having to produce
    > results.

    Following up on Callistus Valerius's logic

    1) In order to get a paycheck in cycling, you should get results.
    2) In order to get results in cycling, you must dope.

    From my undergraduate logic class (given -> means "implies):

    A -> B -> C == A -> C

    Thus, according to Callistus, in order to a paycheck in cycling, one must dope.

    Straight from the horses mouth.

    - Boyd S.

  10. Jenko

    Jenko Guest

    "Nick Burns" wrote ...
    > No. He did win a short stage race some time back though. I wish the UCI web site allowed searches
    > of rider's palmares.

    From Gerolsteiner website http://www.gerolsteiner.de/cycling-english/team/boelts.html 1990 Winner
    Sun Tour, German road champion

    1992 Stage winner Giro d'Italia, Basque Tour

    1994 Winner All around Cologne, Overall ninth Tour de France

    1995 German road champion

    1996 Winner Klasika Ciclista San Sebastian (WC), Stage winner Tour de Suisse

    1997 Winner Dauphiné Libéré, Winner GP Gippingen, Stage winner Bicicletta Vasca, fourth place World
    Championships Road

    1998 Winner GP Wallonie

    1999 German road champion

    2000 Stage winner Germany Tour