loss of speech

Dasimpart

Guest
has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty caused by diabetes2

You may want to check your sugars when this happens. My speech will somethimes slur with either a
hypo or really high sugars. Sometimes I also have a difficult time choosing the right words with
high/low sugars. My speech/communication problems resolve themselves when my sugars are more stable.

I have no idea if this is happens with T2s. I am T1. Steph

"Dasimpart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040131173922.27248.00001157@mb-
m11.aol.com...
> has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty
caused by
> diabetes2

>has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty caused by diabetes2

Are you asking about something that happens from time to time such as might be caused by going too
high or too low or are you thinking more about something more serious that could be caused by a
stroke or possibly nerve damage? I have experienced short term prorblesm when I have been too low. I
have never had long term problems but since uncontrolled diabetes can lead to stroke and or nerve
damage it doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I know nerve damage can effect your abilty to control
some muscles so it makes sense that it could effect speech if the right nerves were involved..
Either way get the person to a doctor right away.

"Stephanie Kolban" <[email protected]> wrote:

> You may want to check your sugars when this happens. My speech will somethimes slur with either a
> hypo or really high sugars. Sometimes I
also
> have a difficult time choosing the right words with high/low sugars. My speech/communication
> problems resolve themselves when my sugars are more stable.
>
> I have no idea if this is happens with T2s. I am T1. Steph

Yeah, a similar thing happens to me when the BG levels get down below, say, 40 or so. I do a lot of
reading aloud, and my kids can tell when I'm low because my speech gets slurred and I confuse words
pretty often.

Peggy

--
WWSD ***** What Would Samwise Do?

There is some evidence (Google and Journal of Otorhinolarengology) That the same Neuropathy that
affect other parts of the body can also cause problems in the throat causing severe muscle spasms
and loss of vocal cord function for either a short or long time. It can be treated with Prednisone
and by control of the blood glucose by the administration of the hormone Insulin. Speech therapy may
also be helpful.

Dasimpart wrote:

> has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty caused by diabetes2

Hi--- It happens also when T2's go low. My wife listens for it.

My friend used to teach Police Science up in Milwaukee to the new recruits.

They tell all the new recruits the effects of low blood sugar and tell this story:

A new recruit cop stopped a fellow for weaving his car, and then slurring while being questioned.

Remembering his training, he asked the fellow: "Sir, your driving is bad, and you're slurring, by
chance are you having a diabetic reaction?"

The driver stumbles out of the car and says:

"Wassammatter, cop, youse never sheen a real drunk besfssshore?"

Best--- Ron

Stephanie Kolban <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> You may want to check your sugars when this happens. My speech will somethimes slur with either a
> hypo or really high sugars. Sometimes I
also
> have a difficult time choosing the right words with high/low sugars. My speech/communication
> problems resolve themselves when my sugars are more stable.
>
> I have no idea if this is happens with T2s. I am T1. Steph
>
> "Dasimpart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040131173922.27248.00001157@mb-
> m11.aol.com...
> > has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty
> caused by
> > diabetes2

---

On 31 Jan 2004 22:39:22 GMT, you , [email protected] (Dasimpart), wrote:

>has anyone heard of someone losing speech or speaking with difficulty caused by diabetes2

Yep ....

Been there, done that, don't want to go through it again ... EVER !!!

At the beginning of December, I ended up in the ER with what seemed to be symptoms of a stroke ie:
badly slurred speech, right arm and leg useless ... one of the scariest experiences I've ever had,
and my first trip in an ambulance ....

When I reached the ER they found my bg was way too low (less than 2 mmol/L) and as they brought it
back up, my speech and movement returned to normal, much to my surprise (and total relief!!)

Apparently the whole thing was a combination of the low bg, being run down from not being well for a
couple weeks , and a minor infection (abcess in the foot)

For the record, my bgs are not out of control (latest HBA1c = 6.2) My own daily bg readings average
out around the 6.5 mmol/L mark. with fasting values around 4 to 4.5 most mornings ..

Now it only I could have achieved numbers like during the first 10 years after diagnosis, I'd
probably still have all ten toes .... <sigh> there's a lesson in there about people who bury their
heads in the sand and pretend they're not really ill with diabetes ...

Frank T2 since 1988, and trying much harder these days than I used to ..

--

]- "Lack of planning on your part does not ]- constitute an emergency on my part" ]-
To reply by e-mail, move the Gnu from the address to the subject line.