Lost between Normalized and Average Power!

pastorbillv

Nov 17, 2005
Help! I've been training with Power for a year now and with a coach since June. I'm lost between Normalized Power (NP) and Average Power (AP). What I mean is I'd like to use one or the other but...

1. I train both in the mountains and the valley. In the mountains NP and AP vary a lot. In the valley, as expected, they're virtually the same.
2. My PowerTap only doesn't show me NP (obviously, it can't).
3. My coach has me do a 20 minute threshold test and uses NP to calculate my FTP. He then breaks that up into the typical L1, L2, etc. ranges. He then gives me workouts based on these ranges. Obviously, the ranges represent NP.
4. I go to do my workouts with NP ranges, on a PowerTap that doesn't show NP (again, that's obvious)! Of course, he tells me that monitoring AP during an interval is so 90's-ish, that I must watch my actual power output and to stay in the range (which makes me feel like a drunk trying to walk a tight-rope). I like to watch my AP and stay at the high end of the range he gives me and then I come back and load everything into WKO+ only to find I've greatly exceeded my interval ranges with NP! UGH!

So, what do you all do? Can I just watch my actual power and assume that on moment-by-moment basis that it is approximating NP? (haven't done the math on that one). Should I live in world of NP (FTP, etc. all done on NP) and only relate back to AP when using my PowerTap? Or does AP have some other use?

If this made any sense to someone, I'd like to sort this out and base the power world on one or the other and workaround whatever tools don't support that by using simple ratios or whatever to be consistent.

Thanks!
Bill

Well I wouldn't sweat it too much for starters....;)

No need to be a complete zone drone.

Your training levels should be flexible enough so that on hills for instance, you do/can ride at higher levels than on the flat. Otherwise the riding just isn't realistic.

After a while you'll get used to what sort of ride effort gives various AP and NP numbers and you'll be able to adjust accordingly the next time you do a similar ride.

pastorbillv said:
3. My coach has me do a 20 minute threshold test and uses NP to calculate my FTP. He then breaks that up into the typical L1, L2, etc. ranges. He then gives me workouts based on these ranges. Obviously, the ranges represent NP.
Um, no. The ranges represent power ranges. There's no separate special "normalized watt," just as there is no separate special "average watt." You're overthinking this.

Alex Simmons said:

Your training levels should be flexible enough so that on hills for instance, you do/can ride at higher levels than on the flat. Otherwise the riding just isn't realistic.

After a while you'll get used to what sort of ride effort gives various AP and NP numbers and you'll be able to adjust accordingly the next time you do a similar ride.
Great advice! Power is just ONE measuring metric. I would hope you monitor heart rate and just as importantly, as stated above, use "percieved exertion" to guage your ride (That's the "trick" of NP, afterall.) Think of the three metrics as virtually equal, and you'll have a lot less anxiety. An endurance ride should "feel" like an endurance ride and on "average" be within both the heart-rate and Power zones. You "know" the difference between your hill or valley rides, don't try and ride for the PowerTap or CyclingPeaks software.

If your coach wants specific NP goals, then you might want to stick to the flats for most training where it will be predictable until, as Alex says, you learn your typical VI (the ratio of NP to AP) over certain terrain at certain effort levels.

However, don't sweat getting x minutes in zone y all the time. That's not what it is all about. If you spend too much energy worrying about numbers, it takes all the fun out of it. The zone limits aren't hard and fast anyway - it not like your body really comprehends 261 watts differently than 260, even if 261 is in the next higher zone.

One of the rare times that I ride with a certain NP goal in mind is when I do a hard hour on hilly terrain with a lot of 10-30 second climbs. Because it lasts ~ 60 minutes, I know that the NP should come in at ~ FTP, assuming I gave it my best effort.. You may want to talk to him/her about specifying workouts (or better, "giving guidelines") in AP rather than NP, unless all workouts are supposed to be very variable in power by design.

pastorbillv said:
Something's amiss. When you do your threshold test, your either doing it in the valley, or an a climb, correct? In those situations, NP and AP should be within a couple of watts of each other. Hence, it would make no difference in your calculated training zones whether NP or AP was used in estimating your FTP. (And, regardless, the resultant training zones are not in NP units, they are in Watts - real, live Watts.)

On the other hand, if your NP and AP are truely widely separated for a 20 test minute effort, you might either reconsider the test course that you are using, or carefuly consider the reliability of NP in maximal efforts that are 20 minutes or less.

pastorbillv said:
Help! I've been training with Power for a year now and with a coach since June. I'm lost between Normalized Power (NP) and Average Power (AP). What I mean is I'd like to use one or the other but...

1. I train both in the mountains and the valley. In the mountains NP and AP vary a lot. In the valley, as expected, they're virtually the same.
4. I go to do my workouts with NP ranges, on a PowerTap that doesn't show NP (again, that's obvious)! Of course, he tells me that monitoring AP during an interval is so 90's-ish, that I must watch my actual power output and to stay in the range (which makes me feel like a drunk trying to walk a tight-rope). I like to watch my AP and stay at the high end of the range he gives me and then I come back and load everything into WKO+ only to find I've greatly exceeded my interval ranges with NP! UGH!

So, what do you all do? Can I just watch my actual power and assume that on moment-by-moment basis that it is approximating NP? (haven't done the math on that one). Should I live in world of NP (FTP, etc. all done on NP) and only relate back to AP when using my PowerTap? Or does AP have some other use?

If this made any sense to someone, I'd like to sort this out and base the power world on one or the other and workaround whatever tools don't support that by using simple ratios or whatever to be consistent.

Thanks!
Bill
I would've thought that over 20 minutes of flat-out steady state effort, AP and NP are going to be almost exactly the same. In a jumpy group ride the two would diverge, but if you're going full gas over such a lengthy period then the two should be similar.

If they're not, you're perhaps not pacing yourself as well as you could.

Once you get your levels based on NP rather than AP then that's where you're getting lost.

Ask your coach if you might be able to use AP. It's not really so 90s-ish, but unless you want to use an Ergomo you can only use what you got.

However, NP isn't much use during solo efforts anyway. Threshold work is steady, even VO2s are fairly steady. Anything harder than that and you can't really concentrate on the computer, it's all-out time.

I think NP is more useful when you are working to the beat of another rider's drum. If you're doing the Saturday Morning World Championships (a UCI-ranked event, I believe, wherever it's held...) then you can use NP to work out the toll it has taken on your body. But if you're riding alone you are much better able to control your efforts, hence NP and AP end up pretty much the same.

RChung said:
Um, no. The ranges represent power ranges. There's no separate special "normalized watt," just as there is no separate special "average watt." You're overthinking this.
RChung - Don't follow you here. According to his spreadsheet, the ranges are clearly set as percentages of my FTP which is a normalized power value. So, say my FTP is 270 and he tells me to do intervals between 75-85% (202-229) for 5 minute sets. I then get on my bike and hold my average power on the PowerTap at 229 for the 5 minutes. I then get back and load into WKO+ and the normalized power value for that 5 minutes is 245!

So, was "in" the interval or not? According to NP, I exceed the interval and over-trained, right?

Thanks,
Bill

pastorbillv said:
RChung - Don't follow you here. According to his spreadsheet, the ranges are clearly set as percentages of my FTP which is a normalized power value. So, say my FTP is 270 and he tells me to do intervals between 75-85% (202-229) for 5 minute sets. I then get on my bike and hold my average power on the PowerTap at 229 for the 5 minutes. I then get back and load into WKO+ and the normalized power value for that 5 minutes is 245!

So, was "in" the interval or not? According to NP, I exceed the interval and over-trained, right?

Thanks,
Bill
No, 85% is roughly 230 at your estimated FTP, so 15 watts (<6%) over target is not a real issue for the interval. Basically, the whole process of getting from the raw data to the numbers is a series of little percentages of variations. There are a few percentages of variation in the PT itself, then another point or two in the average function of your head unit, and a point or two in calculating the NP of WKO. So 6% is clearly within any reasonable margin of deviation once all the calculations are made. How did the interval feel on the Borg scale? If it was too hard, then you might want to dial it back a bit on the next one. If it was too easy, maybe your FTP has been estimated a bit low. I will tell you that the PT/power agent software calculates the average a bit lower than what you will see as both average and NP in WKO. I posted on this a few weeks back.
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=3864560#post3864560

During the interval, I try and not run the average for the interval and instead look at the instant power numbers and try and keep them within the target range. Or, if your coach is using WKO, you will start to see the variations between power agent and WKO so you are comparing apples to apples. What is intriging is that both the head unit and the power agent calculates the average a bit lower than the WKO average. Good luck. Unless you are using these numbers to plan a missle shot a few thousand miles away, this type of variation shouldn't impede normal training.

pastorbillv said:

Thanks!
Bill
I think you're over thinking this one.

You know what power you need to ride at - just ride at that power. Leave the PT displaying the power in the main window and ride.

Once you get used to the percieved effort for the interval involved you can go off that and just periodically check the power - it'd be a shame to wander off the road and into a ditch at 400 watts. :p

pastorbillv said:
O.K. let me try....

The primary purpose of NP is to provide an estimate of the metabolic demands of non steady riding. It's a way to account for the fact that bursty riding that includes high power peaks and rest is harder on the body than the average power for such an effort might suggest. So it helps to normalize the cost in terms of stress and fatigue that your body will experience across a wide range of steady and non steady rides and forms the basis of both IF and from it TSS, CTL, ATL, and TSB to track training load.

Since it estimates overall metabolic stress it can be used as a global constraint to workout sessions or variable power racing. IOW, since it does a fairly good job of estimating the effective metabolic stress you place on your body during sustained efforts and you can only sustain so much metabolic stress before you have to back off, it means NP effectively sets a limit to how hard you can push yourself for sustained efforts even if the AP for those efforts isn't all that high relative to your MMP for that duration.

So a secondary use of NP is to set an upper bound in terms of how hard you can push yourself during bursty efforts combined with short rests. So it can help you predict whether you'll be able to finish a particular set of microintervals or help explain why a crit seemed really hard even though the AP wasn't all that high or help you understand why burst and rest TT pacing may not be the best strategy.

The idea of NP as an estimate of effective metabolic stress leads to a third use as a way to estimate FTP during hard bursty efforts of approximately an hour. If NP estimates effective stress on your body and you do a workout or race that's really bursty, pushes you very near your limit and is approximately an hour long then you can use the NP from that effort as an FTP estimate. But the effort needs to be approximately an hour long and very near your limit for the duration. If it was an easy crit or only lasted half an hour then it won't be a very good FTP estimate.

So your coach used NP from a 20 minute effort to estimate FTP......
If the test was near your limit and isopower then there's no reason to use NP, just use some scaled factor (and 0.95 isn't the gold standard as many folks think) of that 20 minute AP to estimate your FTP. If the 20 minute test was variable and bursty then I'd suggest a different venue or protocol for your FTP testing. 20 minute NP from a dynamic course or crit isn't a good choice for FTP estimation. 20 minutes is at the low end of the duration where NP becomes useful.. NP afterall estimates effective metabolic stress and 20 minute efforts have a reasonable AWC contribution which can be misleading.

Anyway, the purpose of NP is to estimate effective metabolic stress. It can be used in some cases to estimate FTP from hard bursty rides roughly an hour long. But that resulting FTP estimate is still in watts as RChung suggests. There aren't units of "watts" and "normalized-watts" FTP is simply stated in watts regardless of the method you used to estimate FTP.

...1. I train both in the mountains and the valley. In the mountains NP and AP vary a lot. In the valley, as expected, they're virtually the same...
Again, the most important use of NP is to estimate overall metabolic stress. In terms of training, pay attention to your AP for the climbing portion of your mountainous rides. That's the training stress that counts. If your AP drops because of the descents, that's not really relevant to your training efforts. Sure the NP resulting from the entire ride is still useful in terms of estimating overall IF, TSS, etc. but pay attention to your AP during the climbing portion of mountain intervals.

If you're talking about rolling terrain and not mountains then it becomes tougher but you should still be focused on the power during the climbing by avoiding the temptation to send it through the roof (unless that's the prescribed interval work) and then coast the descents. For long steady work in rolling terrain you should use all your gears and do your best to apply pedal pressure, power, and effort as steadily as you can. These are tough, but you post talked about mountains which generally means longer climbs followed by longer descents, in that case focus on the climbs and ignore the descents.

Yep, but you don't need it. Base training efforts on AP and find the best venues for sustaining that AP for the prescribed durations. I have some climbs that are only good for 10-12 minute efforts, others that can work for 20-30 minute efforts but even with Teton Pass right down the road I have to do hour long FTP style efforts on the flats as none of the local climbs are long enough. Pick your training venues to match your workouts and pace those efforts on RPE and real time power.....
3. My coach has me do a 20 minute threshold test and uses NP to calculate my FTP. He then breaks that up into the typical L1, L2, etc. ranges. He then gives me workouts based on these ranges. Obviously, the ranges represent NP...
No, as mentioned above he used NP to estimate your FTP, but that FTP is still defined in watts and not "normalized-watts" the training ranges derived from that FTP are still defined in terms of AP.
4. I go to do my workouts with NP ranges, on a PowerTap that doesn't show NP (again, that's obvious)! Of course, he tells me that monitoring AP during an interval is so 90's-ish, that I must watch my actual power output and to stay in the range (which makes me feel like a drunk trying to walk a tight-rope). I like to watch my AP and stay at the high end of the range he gives me and then I come back and load everything into WKO+ only to find I've greatly exceeded my interval ranges with NP! UGH!...
It sounds like you need to work on steadier pacing. For steady intervals AP and NP should be quite similar. They only vary dramatically if you have a lot of bursty power efforts followed by relatively easy pedaling. If your mountain intervals are really rollers and you're killing the rollers, resting on the descents then I'd expect what you've described but then the key is to use your gears, and modulate your effort to make them as steady as you can. Your AP and NP shouldn't vary all that much on steady climbs...
So, what do you all do? Can I just watch my actual power and assume that on moment-by-moment basis that it is approximating NP? (haven't done the math on that one). Should I live in world of NP (FTP, etc. all done on NP) and only relate back to AP when using my PowerTap? Or does AP have some other use?..
Training levels are defined in terms of AP, especially for shorter efforts where NP is meaningless. Either work on steadier pacing during your intervals or find roads with more consistent grade and during training focus on RPE first and realtime power secondly (and loosely, don't glue your eyes to the PM and try to follow every change, you might also increase your PT display averaging to help avoid chasing your tail). And focus on AP when reviewing the data from individual intervals. Use NP as it was intended to estimate the overall stress resulting from the workout or race, for driving IF, TSS, CTL, ATL, and TSB.

Good luck,
-Dave

Alex Simmons said:

Alex- appreciate the advice. I'm not trying to drive this to an analytical nightmare. And, I do focus on "feeling" my rides relative to the numbers so that I can tell what AP and NP will be.

The problem is that my NP numbers are putting me in a completely different workout range than my AP numbers. If I'm supposed to be doing a L2 ride, I shouldn't be reporting back that I rode in L3 according to NP even though I paced the ride according to AP.

For instance, in a typical "endurance" (L2) ride, I'll keep AP at 160 in the mountains, but will come back and find that my average NP for the ride was 225! For my FTP, that puts me up into L3! I "felt" I was riding easy, but the NP numbers disagree!

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks to everyone for all the replies! I know how long this takes!

I'm definitely seeing a thread through the replies that is helping immensely!

First, there's a problem with my testing because my 20min AP and NP vary quite a bit. I think the first problem is the the warmup route is hilly (from my house to the course). Second, the course is too steep and I end up with bursts of effort during the test. So, I'm not getting a good, consistent, usable result.

Second, my interval course has got a big downhill in it, so I get up to the top with a nice steady number and then lose a ton of AP while I fly down the downhill, then charge up the last uphill to get my AP back up to the top of the range. From what you all are saying, the NP calculation loves this and gives me a huge spike for the interval.

Time to get out the maps and re-work my routes and see if I see more comparative numbers for these workouts. I'm just trying to be a good coachee and not over-train!

Thanks again for all the responses - I read them all and got good advice from all of you!

Bill

pastorbillv said:
Thanks to everyone for all the replies! I know how long this takes!

I'm definitely seeing a thread through the replies that is helping immensely!

First, there's a problem with my testing because my 20min AP and NP vary quite a bit. I think the first problem is the the warmup route is hilly (from my house to the course). Second, the course is too steep and I end up with bursts of effort during the test. So, I'm not getting a good, consistent, usable result.

Second, my interval course has got a big downhill in it, so I get up to the top with a nice steady number and then lose a ton of AP while I fly down the downhill, then charge up the last uphill to get my AP back up to the top of the range. From what you all are saying, the NP calculation loves this and gives me a huge spike for the interval.

Time to get out the maps and re-work my routes and see if I see more comparative numbers for these workouts. I'm just trying to be a good coachee and not over-train!

Thanks again for all the responses - I read them all and got good advice from all of you!

Bill
Try using an indoor trainer. You'll get a lovely steady effort out of one.

pastorbillv said:

Bill
True, but I wouldn't worry about re-routing. The whole purpose of NP is that it is essentially doing the calculation for you to account for the route, stops, brief spurts etc. In other words, the NP is saying that your ride with its ups and downs, hills and valleys imposes the same kind of stress as a flat ride at a constant power of x. In other words, it takes apples and oranges and gives the "orange" an apple equivalent so that you can compare apples with apples.

Below find an example. On one of my training loops that include a large hill "out, my NP is always higher on the first interval. I find it harder to keep the power up during the flatter back loop which also has a downhill section. Here is a sample. The average speed was the same for both intervals even though average power was almost 14 watts lower on the second. The NP difference between the two intervals was 12 watts. In the first hillier interval, the NP difference was 8 watts over average; in the second flatter interval, it was only 4 watts over the average. On both intervals, the CPU recorded average powers of a few watts below what WKO showed.

But I wouldn't change my route based upon this data. If anything, it shows that I need to focus on keeping my power numbers up even when the route gets flatter or downhill. Pushing a hill is pretty natural. Pushing hard on a downhill or a long flatter section is less intuitive. So this type of workout is very helpful in learning to ride a real course with consistent effort and not loafing away on downhills.

Power-Tap #26:
Duration: 20:03

Work: 352 kJ

TSS: 37.6 (intensity factor 1.061)

Norm Power: 300

VI: 1.03

Pw:HR: n/a

Pa:HR: n/a

Distance: 6.281 mi

Min Max Avg

Power: 0 641 292 watts

Cadence: 32 146 81 rpm

Speed: 2.9 34.6 18.8 mph

Pace 1:44 20:59 3:12 min/mi

Hub Torque: 0 370 113 lb-in

Crank Torque: 0 807 310 lb-in

Power-Tap #28:

Duration: 20:05

Work: 334 kJ

TSS: 34.6 (intensity factor 1.017)

Norm Power: 288

VI: 1.04

Pw:HR: n/a

Pa:HR: n/a

Distance: 6.307 mi

Min Max Avg

Power: 0 550 278 watts

Cadence: 30 141 72 rpm

Speed: 4.6 37 18.8 mph

Pace 1:37 13:03 3:11 min/mi

Hub Torque: 0 405 117 lb-in

Crank Torque: 0 915 345 lb-in

pastorbillv said:
.... I think the first problem is the the warmup route is hilly (from my house to the course)....
Are you using the interval display functions on the PT? IOW, are you holding down the left button till the interval number appears and stays visible so that power, time, AP and the like refer to only the interval in question and using a quick double button press to trigger subsequent intervals? I guess I don't see how the rolling commute to your test venue impacts the AP of your test unless it leaves you too tired to test well.

....Second, the course is too steep and I end up with bursts of effort during the test. So, I'm not getting a good, consistent, usable result..
Yeah, really steep climbs don't give me my best AP and if you have to stand a lot to handle the steepness during your FTP testing then I'd be suspicious of the results. Look for a more gradual climb at least for the testing.

...Second, my interval course has got a big downhill in it, so I get up to the top with a nice steady number and then lose a ton of AP while I fly down the downhill, then charge up the last uphill to get my AP back up to the top of the range...
If the descent takes longer than about 30 seconds I'd treat those climbs as two seperate intervals. One of the big lessons I've learned since switching to power based training is the need to sustain training intervals for the minimum durations to fully engage and stress the appropriate metabolic systems.

For instance to target VO2 Max the effort needs to be at least two and half minutes of continuous effort with 3 to 5 minutes yielding more time near VO2 Max. To target sustainable metabolic processes with L4 work the efforts should be at least 10 minutes each and 20 or more minutes yields more sustained time in level. Doing a few 5 to 7 minute efforts at L4 power levels with recovery between them really isn't the same workout.

That's not so important for sustained L2, Tempo, or even most SST work where you can work a bit better with varying terrain. But for focused 2x20s or 5x5s you really want to stay in level for at least the minimum times. Really short rests like you'd get during microinterval work is a different story, but that doesn't sound like the kind of efforts you're doing.

Anyway, consider using the ride time interval display functions on the PT CPU if you're not already doing so and don't treat a section of road as a single interval if there's substantial rest (descents) along the way. Break those into seperate intervals and find longer sustained stretches of road if they don't meet your coaches interval prescriptions.

Good luck,
-Dave
P.S. One last thought. Your strategy of "charging" the final climb to pull your AP back up (towards the top of the level!) is a bad idea. The idea of evaluating intervals on AP assumes a fairly steady pacing. If you must train on variable terrain then think it terms of mode not average power. IOW, think in terms of typical power for the interval. The idea is to ride as much of the interval as possible roughly in the prescribed power range. Pushing it extra hard at the end and knowingly exceeding the prescribed range to try to pull up your AP after a descent is a bad idea. It's no wonder your NP is higher than expected with that strategy, you've intentionally been hitting the end of your intervals extra hard to try to achieve a certain AP instead of focusing on riding as much of your interval as possible within the target range.

Again I'd start by treating these as seperate intervals, but if that won't work then at least try to ride as much of your interval as possible within the range of interest, don't hit it extra hard to try to balance the average power......

pastorbillv said:
How big of a downhill? What interval duration?
FWIW, I find that if my goal is an isopower type effort on the road and I am on a rolling type course, I can pedal against feathering the brakes (alternate front and back) a bit on some steeper downhill gradients in order to maintain power output. That said, for intervals of around 5 minutes or less, I either choose the trainer, or select a hill of the right duration without any significant dips.