lot's o wildlife

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by aspenmike, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

    Every uni (MUni or Coker) ride I go on these days, I am treated to
    wildlife. They are feeling the need to feed, as fall is fast approaching
    here in the high country. The bears are everywhere, and hungry. Our
    screens on our windows have been ripped up the last two nights from
    them. I just ran into another one on the trail today, they don't wait
    until dark anymore. It is also common to see the deer everywhere.
    Racoons, skunks, and fox are seen daily as well. The snow level was down
    to 9500' last night, and the leaves have been changing for a couple of
    weeks now. Fall, my favorite time to Uni in Colorado is right around the
    corner. Here's a pic of a Buck mule deer I ran into the other day on one
    of my Coker rides. Cheers.

    | Attachment filename: mule deer in velvet.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/232924|

    aspenmike - unicycling albino
    aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

  2. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    great shot, mike!

    I remember seeing a buck mule too on one of my rides going down snowmass
    mountain. Looked just like the one in the photo

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

    The word gullible is written above my avatar!
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  3. aspenmike

    aspenmike Guest

  4. dogbowl

    dogbowl Guest

    I can't help but wonder--what do wild animals think whenever they see
    anyone on a unicycle?

    I wonder if they find it strange, as some humans do.

    Is a wild deer or bear tempted to make some joke about "where is your
    other wheel" or something like that?

    Now that I think about it, can Muni-Hunting be far in the future? (I say
    this as someone who has no opinion on the subject of hunting, never did
    it, so I don't know what it's about, so I won't criticize nor praise
    it.)

    That would be an incredible sight--hunters with rifles or pistols,
    hunting in the forest while riding Hunter mUnicycles! They are only
    allowed to shoot WHILE riding.

    Or, on the other hand, imagine what it must be like to be on a mUnicycle
    safari on the African savahanna--but you accidently drop your gun and
    you find yourself pedaling furiously, a charging rhino right behind you!
    Not a good time for a UPD!

    I'm really just kidding around. I'm not good enough a unicyclist to go
    on any big countryside rides yet, but just the idea of encountering
    wildlife while riding is truly awesome!

    Great shot of the mule deer!

    --Steve

    --
    dogbowl - Level 0.75--still can't freemount

    "Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
    urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
    dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

  5. daino149

    daino149 Guest

    While riding in Santa Teresa park in San Jose yesterday, I saw a Coyote.
    It was the first one I've ever seen. Surprisingly, I saw it before it
    saw me. I didn't want to get too close and spook it, so I started
    whistling. Once it saw me, it bolted. In hindsight, the better move
    would have been to grab the Digicam in my Camelbak, but it's too late
    for that now. The funny thing is that I was riding on the Coyote Peak
    trail at the time. :D

    On other rides, I have spotted a few deer and some birds of prey.

    When I was in Hawaii, all I got to see were mongooses, toads, bugs, and
    the occasional whale.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.10.19
    Seatpost and rail adapter
    'My X-a-n-g-a' (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=fingerpies)
    I need to find a job

  6. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    dogbowl wrote:
    > *I can't help but wonder--what do wild animals think whenever they see
    > anyone on a unicycle?
    > *

    I know for a fact that many dogs hate unicyclists, while they don't mind
    bikes. A friend of mine was chased by a big dog on his 29er until he
    jumped off and climbed a tree, and waited there for ten minutes until
    someone called the cops.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  7. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:19:51 -0600, "James_Potter" wrote:

    >I know for a fact that many dogs hate unicyclists

    I was once bitten by a German Shepherd (dog, not human) while
    unicycling. It came running from afar, ran along with me for a bit,
    barked, bit me (not hard) and then I scared it away.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    I figure it's pretty clear that offroad unicycling is a stupid thing to do - joemarshall

  8. mango

    mango Guest

  9. Theres lots o deer were i live,and elk to(but i dont see them while on
    my uni).

    my family hunts,my dad shot a mule deer buck last week.

    This is funny timing,earlier today i was riding past a Buffalo heard
    about a mile and a half away from my house.(but,they are kinda
    domestic).We somtimes take pictures of them to show people,I wanted to
    get a picture of me and the Buffalo,but i was by myself.

    Hehe,anyone else have Buffalo were they live?
    theres actually another heard about 6 miles away,in the other
    direction.

    --
    forrestunifreak - You can agree with me,or be wrong.

    "Old enough to know better,young enough not to care."

    "You cant take it with you,so unicycle now."

    "I dont suffer from insanity.
    I love every minute of it."
    -Me.

  10. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    There are lots of deer on the UCSC campus, but someone must be feeding
    them 'ludes because they just sit and watch me pedal by.

    I'm always chased by dogs on my muni but never on my bicycle. I don't
    understand what difference they perceive as so threatening as to growl,
    bark and snap at me! Aggh!

    Stupid dogs. Go chase a parked car.

    --
    maestro8 - Mad Scientists for World Domination

    Groucho Marx