Louisville KY area MUni Rendezvous, June 05

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Memphis Mud, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Fall may be a problem for such a trip. So, rethinking. Looking at
    JUNE.

    Check these trail reviews. Both get very high marks from Mountaing
    B*kers.
    'Fort Duffield Trail' (http://tinyurl.com/3po3m)
    and
    'Cherokee Trail' (http://tinyurl.com/5z2so)

    Also, Louisville KY is very centrally located for most of our typical
    attendees. We may even entice a few new riders.

    6 hours from Pittsburg, PA (Billham)
    6 hours from Memphis, TN (MUCsters)
    6 hours from Chicago, IL (Digital Dave)
    6-3/4 hours from Atlanta, GA (Bugman, Reidj)
    4-1/2 hours from Sevierville, TN (Chirokid)
    4-1/2 hours from Crossville, TN (PUCsters)

    Unfortunately, Connecticut is way the h*ll up there.

    What do you think? As for dates...toss some out there.

    Tom.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  2. bugman

    bugman Guest

    I would come if it is June 24,25,26.

    I am saving days off in July for NAUCC, but the June dates would be good
    for training.

    If in Aug 12,13,14 would be good.

    I know I am odd, I actually have all my vacation days scheduled for the
    year in Jan... sometimes I can be flexible, but it is such a pain in
    the arse to change them, I rarely do.

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
    are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  3. billham

    billham Guest

    Sorry Bugman, I have to vote for earlier in Jun. First or second
    weekend works for me.

    If it was the second week of June, I might have a better chance of
    getting come people from our uni "club" to come down with me.

    Thanks for working on pulling something together, Tom.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  4. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    I have no idea if you asking people to come, but if you are I would love
    to come. I am about an hour from Louisville and i would enjoy coming and
    unicycling with some folks. But if not that cool to i guess.. I live in
    Evansville so if i could get mroe info that would rock, thanks
    Chase.

    POW

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker

  5. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Unitik908 wrote:
    > *I have no idea if you asking people to come, but if you are I would
    > love to come. *

    Beg Pardon. Let me be clear.

    Everyone is welcome. Riders or non-riders. We're there to ride the
    trails. But non riders usually find something fun to do. Swimming,
    hiking, shopping... The riders vanish down the trails for several hours,
    but we always return.

    We'll be camping somewhere. People have joined us in the past and they
    stayed in nearby hotels. What's fun is Saturday night is Pot-Luck night.
    Everyone makes or brings a dish to the campsite and we eat a feast.

    If you haven't had the pleasure of riding around with 10-15
    knuckleheads, you ain't lived.

    Please come. The more the merrier.

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  6. DK

    DK Guest

    I wish it was a little closer to the coast... i think we should have a
    muni meet in snowshoe, Wv. they have a great lift-fead freeride park,
    and some really nice, long DH shuttle runs.

    --
    DK - Level 11 Unicycle w00ter

    -Hunter-

    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  7. This Sounds Great!!! Id Like To Get Out To Other States To See What They
    Have For Trails. Will There Be A Join Up Fee?? Or Is It Just Show Up And
    Go?? Im Clear Up In SD And Like Bugman Said It Should Be After NAUCC I
    Probably Wont Compete In NAUCC But I Will Be Going So Sometime In Aug.
    Would Be Nice:)

    --
    MarshallStangle2005 - ~ City Skate Park Uni Grind King~
    MarshallStangle2005's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9274

  8. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    MarshallStangle2005 wrote:
    > *Will There Be A Join Up Fee?? Or Is It Just Show Up And Go?? *

    No Fees. (Except pay your own way. Bring your own food and beverage)

    This is just a bunch of uniers in the same location. No official agenda.

    Typically, state parks allow a pop-up and a tent, or 3 or 4 tents to
    share one campsite. So everyone splits a $16 - $20 per night fee.
    Haven't chosen the actual camping area yet, so I don't have the details.

    The first weekend in June (June 3, 4, 5) is good for me. But I could
    make the 2nd weekend (June 10, 11, 12) work if that'll be better for
    Bill's club. (Bill, did you ever settle on a name? I can't remember my
    suggestion, but I remember it had something to do with "murmur")

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  9. billham

    billham Guest

    Mud

    Club name and final club organization is still pending. lots of boring
    details to work through.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  10. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    Just chatted with Memphis Mud and the first weekend in June works best
    for us. Can we mark it in the calendar? Bill Ham and others, can you
    make it then?
    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  11. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    hey just a quick question how old are all of you guys.... i always go on
    a small little outisng with my grandparents for a few days somewhere not
    very far in the summer so i could suggest this at this time and it would
    be really cool.. but i would probabaly have to stay with them... but
    still being able to go uni with you guys would be really fun...

    POW

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker

  12. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest

    The crew coming from Memphis, I expect, ranges from 13 (I'm expecting 3
    - 4 young-to-middle teens) to about 51 Perhaps (4 or 5 adult types - 30+
    years old).

    Tommy

    --
    Tmornstar - Grandmaster 2T

    Tommy Thompson
    [email protected] (No PMs. please)
    Memphis Unicycle Club
    Please vist our web site:
    http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
    Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

  13. mucRider

    mucRider Guest

    Unitik908 wrote:
    > *hey just a quick question how old are all of you guys.... i always go
    > on a small little outing with my grandparents....
    >
    > POW *

    Some of us are probably old enough to be your grandparents. You should
    feel right at home. The group would welcome you.

    --
    mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary
    and those who don't.
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

  14. billham

    billham Guest

    Tmornstar wrote:
    > *Just chatted with Memphis Mud and the first weekend in June works
    > best for us. Can we mark it in the calendar? Bill Ham and others,
    > can you make it then?
    > Tommy *

    First weekend in June works for me. It looks like my family may be
    coming along. My wife, a non-unicyclist likes the idea of having other
    activities in the area for an alternate activity during the MUni
    rides.

    Don't know about others from our uni club, but once date is chosen, I'll
    start rallying the gang and see what we can do.

    T Max, thanks for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling on this
    weekend. (And the others you have gotten in motion) Almost sure I
    won't make it to Alabama, but I should be able to make an August or
    September FURECUS. Please avoid August 12-14 for FURECUS. I have a
    commitment that weekend.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  15. Unitik908

    Unitik908 Guest

    mucRider wrote:
    > *Some of us are probably old enough to be your grandparents. You
    > should feel right at home. The group would welcome you. *

    score im gonna talk to my grandparents about it....

    POW

    --
    Unitik908 - Level 5

    All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

    R.I.P Unibiker

  16. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    billham wrote:
    > *First weekend in June works for me. It looks like my family may be
    > coming along. My wife, a non-unicyclist likes the idea of having
    > other activities in the area for an alternate activity during the MUni
    > rides.
    >
    > Don't know about others from our uni club, but once date is chosen,
    > I'll start rallying the gang and see what we can do.
    >
    > T Max, thanks for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling on
    > this weekend. (And the others you have gotten in motion) Almost sure
    > I won't make it to Alabama, but I should be able to make an August or
    > September FURECUS. Please avoid August 12-14 for FURECUS. I have a
    > commitment that weekend.
    >
    > Bill *

    FIRST WEEKEND IN JUNE IT IS.

    JUNE 3 (FRI), 4 (SAT), 5 (SUN)

    Bill, Motivation absolutely selfish. While solo MUni is nice, its appeal
    can be short lived. I like my solo time. But, as you know, I need the
    likes of you and Brian and Tommy and Charles and Richard and Marquis and
    Yvonne and Eddie and etc., etc., etc. for maximum MUni enjoyment. Its so
    much fun riding with other MUniers, that some people are known to drive
    10-16 hours just to participate! I'm happy to see that everyone's
    schedule is melding nicely. For those of you (Unitik908) who haven't
    ever done a mass-MUni ride, you're in for the time of your life.

    I'll have my family with me too. And my popup. Wife, 2 girls: 10 and 14.
    Kids ride. At last year's Montgomery Bell SP MUni Rendesvous, older
    daughter jogged the trail with 2 other runners. Did great. Offer open to
    all joggers. Wife doesn't Uni. Good camper tho. She might also want to
    explore Louisville (antique malls...). We've got some time to research
    the area.

    Keep in mind: In researching camping areas, a very high priority needs
    to be given to the aforementioned MB trails. I haven't delved into that
    yet, but we should have no real problems.

    Mud out....................

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  17. billham

    billham Guest

    Memphis Mud wrote:
    > *FIRST WEEKEND IN JUNE IT IS.
    >
    > I'll have my family with me too. And my popup. Wife, 2 girls: 10 and
    > 14. Kids ride. At last year's Montgomery Bell SP MUni Rendesvous,
    > older daughter jogged the trail with 2 other runners. Did great. Offer
    > open to all joggers. Wife doesn't Uni. Good camper tho. She might also
    > want to explore Louisville (antique malls...). We've got some time to
    > research the area.
    > Mud out.................... *

    Excellent - I was a little bummed that last fall's FURECUS didn't have
    any families present. Starting off strong with two families and 2 pop
    ups. I know lots of riders will be coming, any other families going to
    make it?

    Looking forward to the weekend.

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  18. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    I emailed the local president and posted on the Louisville Mountain B*ke
    forum RE: State Parks that would be good for us. Otter Creek was the
    response.

    Looks pretty good. Other activities inside the park include Canoeing,
    Rappelling, Astology,... lots of organized stuff. It is only a few
    minutes from the Fort Duffield and Cherokee trails. And the posters
    mention going there for rides too. One bit of sluething revealed that
    they go to certain trails if it had rained recently. Some trails have
    sandier soil which drains quickly. Nice to know.
    'Kentucky Mountain B*ke Association Forum'
    (http://www.kymba.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=9)
    I haven't yet spoken with Park personnel, but the site has a phone # for
    reservations. The have $80 a night, 2 BR cabins. Also a $600 group
    lodge. I can at this time only assume that they also take reservations
    for their campsites.
    'Otter Creek Park' (http://www.loukymetro.org/ottercreekpark.asp)

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  19. billham

    billham Guest

    Tom

    I see that Otter Creek Park has a restriction for bikes... on the road
    only. I wonder if we should contact them in advance and see if we could
    get sites near an open area so we could set up some trials stuff. We
    could sell it to the park as a fun thing to watch for the campers and
    also assure them that unis are different in how fast they are ridden and
    that we won't tear up the grass. Or whatever the reason for the
    restrictions.

    Once a definite campground is chosen, if reservations can be done, we
    should select an area that will used by our group. For example... post
    that everyone should get a site on D24 through D32 or as close as
    possible, or as close as you want. Gotta be sensitive to the hermits
    types. :) That way we know where to make the reservations and will
    have the best chance of getting a block for the group. I saw a pop up
    club do an event this way. They even posted on the forum what sites
    were reserved and by what person(s). It worked pretty nicely.

    The other option is to reserve a cluster of sites and then transfer them
    over to others. Only downside here is that someone has to take the risk
    of paying for the sites in advance and then getting reimbursed for them.
    Anouncing the sites in advance is probably the best and simplest way
    to get everyone together.

    A site that is on the perimeters of the campground might offer more
    options for trials riding. Road riding will be more of an option if we
    are off of the heavily travelled roads leading in, out, and through the
    center of the campground.

    After a definite area is chosen, both campground and specific sites for
    the campground, I am ready to reserve my site. If Otter Creek is the
    final campground choice, people should note the regulations, 1 tent per
    site and only 2 cars per site.

    Otter Creek Park looks good to me. Since I have the pop up, I prefer a
    site with electric. Even in a tent, I preferred electric sites. It's a
    nice option to have electricity.

    Any area can work, but these are a few things I've learned from camping
    in parks that can make it more enjoyable. No matter what, we WILL HAVE
    FUN!

    Bill

    --
    billham

    Starting a local unicycle club! Averaging 20 riders for our weekly
    practices.
    billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

  20. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    Good point Bill. I wish I'd been there before. I called a friend
    yesterday who has family up there for some insight. No response yet.
    There is a camping forum I also want to contact. They may know some
    tips. I'll call the ranger to see how crowded he/she expects it to be on
    our weekend and about the reservations. (Heck, they might have some
    Squaredancing convention that weekend). I think we would want several
    sites right together, but in my mind, I'm seeing a layout similar to
    Cumberland Mtn SP. Plenty of space. If they're tight, maybe two on the
    other side of the road. Or in an elbow, backing up to each other.

    My camping in Ky has been ltd to Land Between the Lakes (which we like)
    and Mammouth Cave SP (which we hated).

    Here is a link to the 'Otter Creek Trail Map'
    (http://kymba.org/trails/maps/ottercreek.gif) that I got off the Ky
    Mountain B*ke site. There are regular mentions by those riders of riding
    at Otter Creek. But I was actually attracted to the area because of the
    Fort Duffield and Cherokee trail reviews. They also talk a lot about one
    called Waverly. All are relatively nearby. As is the city of Louisville.
    (For non riders).

    Making assumptions, I don't riding will be an issue.
    1. The local Club MB goes there often. That map is from their website.
    2. Every Park Ranger I've ever unied near only smiled and stopped to
    talk and/or gawk. We're still pretty odd (goofy). We're harmless. We do
    have to keep out youths in check. But then so do the muggles.

    I'm very concerned with that one tent rule you mention. That could be
    trouble. I was hoping we could put a popup and a tent or 2 tents. The
    two car rule might dictate. The locals said there might be a KOA
    campground across the river in IL. In our experience, we've always had
    the best luck at State Parks.

    I'll post on the KY MB forum these concerns and see if I get a response.
    (They're not into their forum to the degree Unicyclers are). Also, I'll
    call Otter Creek and speak with a human today.