Louisville Metro buys new ambulances for obese patients up to 1,600lbs

Captain BlubberSlap

Guest
New ambulances help obese patients

10:39 AM EST on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/WHAS11_LOCAL_Ambulances.4bc859de.html

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Normal stretchers that you'd find in an ambulance
can hold a patient up to 500 pounds. This one can hold someone up to
1,600 pounds.

If a 400-pound man had an emergency, EMS crews say it could take up to
an hour to lift and load his frame into an ambulance.

With a heavy-duty stretcher, ramp system and winch, that process takes
a matter of minutes.

The modified vehicle is called a bariatric ambulance, developed in
response to our area's climbing obesity rates.

"We generally see at least once or twice a week a patient that's
extremely hard to transport because of their weight," says Sherman
Hockenbury of Yellow Ambulance.

In the past, with a smaller stretcher, it can take dozens of extra
hands depending on the patient's weight. And even then, there have
been problems.

"There's been some times when we haven't been able to put them on the
stretcher and had to use stuff like that so the patient's dignity comes
into play here," Hockenbury says.

Dignity, and speed of treatment. This is the Louisville Metro area's
first bariatric ambulance and it will also serve people in southern
Indiana.

The bariatric ambulance will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a
week. It can get to an emergency scene with just 30 minutes notice. The
special ramp system and modified stretcher fit into a normal-sized
ambulance and come with an added cost of $15,000.

"Captain BlubberSlap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> New ambulances help obese patients

> "There's been some times when we haven't been able to put them on the
> stretcher and had to use stuff like that so the patient's dignity comes
> into play here," Hockenbury says.

It boggles the mind that others would be so concerned with the diginity of
obese persons when those obese persons lack self-respect for themselves.
Not to mention the $15,000 cost for each additional item that the public is
forced to bear.

Yellow Ambulance is a private service so your deep concern for the public
good will simply have to be redirected to outrages such as audible tones at
crosswalks near the School for the Blind and those silly buses that
wheelchairs can enter.

news:[email protected]...