Louisville Metro buys new ambulances for obese patients up to 1,600lbs

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Captain BlubberSlap, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. New ambulances help obese patients

    10:39 AM EST on Tuesday, February 21, 2006
    http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/WHAS11_LOCAL_Ambulances.4bc859de.html

    LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Normal stretchers that you'd find in an ambulance
    can hold a patient up to 500 pounds. This one can hold someone up to
    1,600 pounds.

    If a 400-pound man had an emergency, EMS crews say it could take up to
    an hour to lift and load his frame into an ambulance.

    With a heavy-duty stretcher, ramp system and winch, that process takes
    a matter of minutes.

    The modified vehicle is called a bariatric ambulance, developed in
    response to our area's climbing obesity rates.

    "We generally see at least once or twice a week a patient that's
    extremely hard to transport because of their weight," says Sherman
    Hockenbury of Yellow Ambulance.

    In the past, with a smaller stretcher, it can take dozens of extra
    hands depending on the patient's weight. And even then, there have
    been problems.

    "There's been some times when we haven't been able to put them on the
    stretcher and had to use stuff like that so the patient's dignity comes
    into play here," Hockenbury says.

    Dignity, and speed of treatment. This is the Louisville Metro area's
    first bariatric ambulance and it will also serve people in southern
    Indiana.

    The bariatric ambulance will be available 24 hours a day, seven days a
    week. It can get to an emergency scene with just 30 minutes notice. The
    special ramp system and modified stretcher fit into a normal-sized
    ambulance and come with an added cost of $15,000.

    Tags:

  2. George

    George Guest

    "Captain BlubberSlap" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > New ambulances help obese patients

    > "There's been some times when we haven't been able to put them on the
    > stretcher and had to use stuff like that so the patient's dignity comes
    > into play here," Hockenbury says.

    It boggles the mind that others would be so concerned with the diginity of
    obese persons when those obese persons lack self-respect for themselves.
    Not to mention the $15,000 cost for each additional item that the public is
    forced to bear.

  3. nobody

    nobody Guest

    Yellow Ambulance is a private service so your deep concern for the public
    good will simply have to be redirected to outrages such as audible tones at
    crosswalks near the School for the Blind and those silly buses that
    wheelchairs can enter.

    news:[email protected]