Love your bike - promoting commuter cycling in Manchester

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kate, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Just heard about this (can't see any reference to it here):

    http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm

    Manchester Council and Friends of the Earth campaign to promote
    commuter cycling - they want as many cyclists as possible at 7.50am on
    Tuesday 21st March at the Chester Road/Mancunian Way roundabout for
    press/photos.

    Kate

    Tags:

  2. > http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm
    > Manchester Council and Friends of the Earth campaign to promote
    > commuter cycling - they want as many cyclists as possible at 7.50am on
    > Tuesday 21st March at the Chester Road/Mancunian Way roundabout for
    > press/photos.

    Oooh, and they've even got some people together to escort me from the end
    of my road right to the roundabout. Guess I've got no excuse for not
    trundling along.

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    > > http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm
    > > Manchester Council and Friends of the Earth campaign to promote
    > > commuter cycling - they want as many cyclists as possible at 7.50am on
    > > Tuesday 21st March at the Chester Road/Mancunian Way roundabout for
    > > press/photos.

    > Oooh, and they've even got some people together to escort me from the end
    > of my road right to the roundabout. Guess I've got no excuse for not
    > trundling along.

    So who is going to send that photo to the BBC cycle lanes gallery?

    ...d

  4. audrey

    audrey Guest

    On 17 Mar 2006 01:47:43 -0800, "Kate" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Manchester Council and Friends of the Earth campaign to promote
    >commuter cycling - they want as many cyclists as possible at 7.50am on
    >Tuesday 21st March at the Chester Road/Mancunian Way roundabout for
    >press/photos.

    seeing as how that's practically next door to me, I'd better show me
    face

  5. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    "Kate" <[email protected]> of http://groups.google.com wrote:

    >Just heard about this (can't see any reference to it here):
    >
    >http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm
    >
    >Manchester Council and Friends of the Earth campaign to promote
    >commuter cycling - they want as many cyclists as possible at 7.50am on
    >Tuesday 21st March at the Chester Road/Mancunian Way roundabout for
    >press/photos.

    Physio has opined my knee is now recovered enough to get back on the bike,
    so subject to trundle with Audrey tomorrow going well I might be up for
    this. OTOH getting up early enough to be at Withington Library for 7am
    might be beyond me.
    --
    Steph Peters
    Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

  6. > Physio has opined my knee is now recovered enough to get back on the
    > bike, <snippity>

    Fantastic news. How long have you had off the bike?

    > OTOH getting up early enough to be at Withington Library
    > for 7am might be beyond me.

    If a **student** can drag himself out of bed for it I think you can... :)
    (says Mark, safe in the knowledge that he can leave the house at 6:59).

  7. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    Mark Thompson
    <[email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> of NTL
    wrote:

    >> Physio has opined my knee is now recovered enough to get back on the
    >> bike, <snippity>

    >Fantastic news. How long have you had off the bike?

    Since the start of November. Steph's Stragglers got their act into gear for
    15 miles today, and now I hurt all over. However, as it is equal
    opportunity hurt, upper arms and both legs ache, that's OK.

    >> OTOH getting up early enough to be at Withington Library
    >> for 7am might be beyond me.

    >If a **student** can drag himself out of bed for it I think you can... :)
    >(says Mark, safe in the knowledge that he can leave the house at 6:59)

    Whereas I will need to leave at 6.45. Which is more than 2 hours early. 7am
    is listen to the news in bed time. And I've just put together tootle into
    Manchester in the morning, back to Didsbury for work, then back almost to
    the city centre in the evening for German class and come up with 20 miles
    for the day. That might seriously be too much. So one will probably have
    to go.
    --
    Steph Peters
    Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
    Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
    http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

  8. > Since the start of November. Steph's Stragglers got their act into
    > gear for 15 miles today, and now I hurt all over. However, as it is
    > equal opportunity hurt, upper arms and both legs ache, that's OK.

    Good to hear the knee held up, hopefully getting the fitness back will be
    easier the second time around.

    Is that the time? If anyone from here goes there, I'll be the one hidden
    behind the bags under my eyes.

  9. 92jon

    92jon New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2004
    Hi,
    Any news about where this article will be published?
    JON

  10. > Hi,
    > Any news about where this article will be published?

    Just whacked of an email asking them. In the meantime there're photos
    here:

    <http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm>

  11. > Just whacked of an email asking them. In the meantime there're photos
    > here:
    >
    > <http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm>

    They said:

    "good question! Still waiting for M.E.N coverage. Their photographer was
    there so we should get something in. Some photos are on the
    www.manchesterfoe.org.uk website. Please let me know if you spot any
    other coverage."

  12. Steph Peters

    wrote:

    >> Just whacked of an email asking them. In the meantime there're photos
    >> here:
    >>
    >> <http://www.manchesterfoe.org.uk/transport/loveyourbike.htm>

    >They said:
    >
    >"good question! Still waiting for M.E.N coverage. Their photographer was
    >there so we should get something in. Some photos are on the
    >www.manchesterfoe.org.uk website. Please let me know if you spot any
    >other coverage."

    Article and photos on Greater Manchester Cycling Campaign:
    http://www.gmcc.org.uk/blog/
    --
    Steph Peters
    Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
    Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
    http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

  13. Don Whybrow

    Don Whybrow Guest

    Mark Thompson wrote:
    >>Article and photos on Greater Manchester Cycling Campaign:
    >>http://www.gmcc.org.uk/blog/

    > It's me! It's me! Fame at last.

    Which photo? which person?

    (I'm placing a bet on second photo and the chap at the front without a
    h****t)

    --
    Don Whybrow

    Sequi Bonum Non Time

    You guys got something against spam? (Vriess, in _Alien 4_)

  14. > (I'm placing a bet on second photo and the chap at the front without a
    > h****t)

    You may claim your five pounds.

    --
    Please note handling charges apply

  15. Steph Peters

    wrote:

    >> Article and photos on Greater Manchester Cycling Campaign:
    >> http://www.gmcc.org.uk/blog/

    >It's me! It's me! Fame at last.

    Thought you might find that interesting. I also know the chap behind you
    from Chorlton Wanderers, and the one who took the photos is a colleague at
    work.