Loveland may cancel bike race

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Garrison Hilliard, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. Loveland may cancel bike race

    By Jane Prendergast
    Enquirer staff writer

    DISCUSSION OF ISSUES
    Loveland officials will hear comments on the potential cancellation of Tour de
    Loveland:

    Tuesday, 6-7 p.m.

    Loveland City Hall, 120 W. Loveland Ave., Council Chambers.

    LOVELAND - The Tour de Loveland bike race, a summer event here for almost a
    decade that drew cyclists from across the country, likely won't happen again.

    City officials want to hear next week from people and business owners who've
    been involved in the past. They'll listen at a Tuesday meeting before making a
    final decision.

    Mayor Rob Weisgerber said he expects the ride to be canceled and replaced with
    something else that may be more profitable and draw more people. He said it is
    also becoming more difficult to attract sponsors to make a decent purse for the
    winners. And, he said, people complained about the closing of many streets.

    "We've got to find a signature event that excites more of the whole community,"
    he said.

    Loveland has been a hub for cyclists because of the bike trail that runs through
    the city along the Little Miami River. The race went through the city every
    July, with related events like helmet fittings for kids plus fireworks.
    Racelistings.com described the route last year as a "nice figure-8 course.''

    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140409/1056/NEWS0103
    "I love the event,'' the mayor said. "It pains me to not have it.''

    The new festival is being planned for fall.

    E-mail [email protected]

    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140409/1056/NEWS0103

    Tags:

  2. rmr

    rmr Guest

    too bad...Loveland's a good crit.
    rains every year though, I'll miss powersliding over the manhole covers.

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Loveland may cancel bike race
    >
    > By Jane Prendergast
    > Enquirer staff writer
    >
    > DISCUSSION OF ISSUES
    > Loveland officials will hear comments on the potential cancellation of
    > Tour de
    > Loveland:
    >
    > Tuesday, 6-7 p.m.
    >
    > Loveland City Hall, 120 W. Loveland Ave., Council Chambers.

    > LOVELAND - The Tour de Loveland bike race, a summer event here for almost
    > decade that drew cyclists from across the country, likely won't happen
    > again.
    >
    > City officials want to hear next week from people and business owners
    > who've
    > been involved in the past. They'll listen at a Tuesday meeting before
    > making a
    > final decision.
    >
    > Mayor Rob Weisgerber said he expects the ride to be canceled and replaced
    > with
    > something else that may be more profitable and draw more people. He said
    > it is
    > also becoming more difficult to attract sponsors to make a decent purse
    > for the
    > winners. And, he said, people complained about the closing of many
    > streets.
    >
    > "We've got to find a signature event that excites more of the whole
    > community,"
    > he said.
    >
    > Loveland has been a hub for cyclists because of the bike trail that runs
    > through
    > the city along the Little Miami River. The race went through the city
    > every
    > July, with related events like helmet fittings for kids plus fireworks.
    > Racelistings.com described the route last year as a "nice figure-8
    > course.''
    >
    > http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140409/1056/NEWS0103
    > "I love the event,'' the mayor said. "It pains me to not have it.''
    >
    > The new festival is being planned for fall.
    >
    > E-mail [email protected]
    >
    > http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140409/1056/NEWS0103

  3. Loveland cancels bike race
    THE ENQUIRER

    LOVELAND -- The city's Tour de Loveland bike race is canceled.

    City Council members voted Tuesday night to stop holding the annual
    summer bicycle race.

    Mayor Rob Weisgerber said sponsorships had become more difficult to get
    for the winning purse, residents complained about closed streets and
    attendance declined over the years.

    Planning for a new fall event is in the works.

    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/NEWS01/301180013/1056

  4. > Loveland cancels bike race
    > THE ENQUIRER
    >
    > LOVELAND -- The city's Tour de Loveland bike race is canceled.
    >
    > City Council members voted Tuesday night to stop holding the annual
    > summer bicycle race.
    >
    > Mayor Rob Weisgerber said sponsorships had become more difficult to get
    > for the winning purse, residents complained about closed streets and
    > attendance declined over the years.

    it's like been there done that.......