John Hearns said:Can someone say something about a bike ride?
Please?
Last night I cycled to band practice, though Sutton Park.
'Twas dark, and I saw only 2 other people. The route was up Airplane
Hill [1] and down Spooky Hill [1]. Spooky Hill is a narrow corridor
internalised by overhanging trees. Every time there is a rustling of
branches, you have to wonder if it's the wind, wildlife, or the
mad-axe-murderer coming to get you.
Dynohub lighting sufficed for most of the time. Lupine Nightmare just
got flicked on from time to time to pick out cattle grids and gaps at
the sides of various gates on steeper uphill sections. The dark makes
the whole field of vision compact into two dimensions. Which way does
that road bend? Is it left? Is it right? I can't remember. I flicked on
the Lupine again, this time onto high-beam (normally reserved for
reminding oncoming drivers to dip their lights thank you very much). It
was a left bend, and being able to see my way let me preserve my
momentum to freewheel most of the way up the following hill.
As I arrived early, I picked out a bench near Wyndley gate and listened
to the brook trickling: A tranquil sound were it not for aircraft
passing at 30 second intervals.
At Town gate, the final metal gate clanged behind me, and I was in
Pisshead-World. Such a contrast: Trickling brook was replaced by revving
engine. Still, at least my undercarriage didn't scrape every time I rode
over a speed bump.
And then it was over the park boundary into the real world. At half 7 in
the evening, there was little traffic to speak of.
After rehearsal, I felt rather ill, and went home by road around the
perimeter of the park (one hill instead of two).
[1] A nickname used within my family