Low Blood Sugar Treatment

blasterfreak88

Sep 7, 2010
I am an insulin dependent diabetic that uses an insulin pump. I currently carry glucose tablets with me out on the trail because they are light and dont take up to much space. The thing is that they are very chalky and cause me to drink all of my water just to treat a low blood sugar. I know that the best way to fix this is to try to prevent lows but it can be hard sometimes. I just wanted to know if there are any other diabetic cyclist on here and what they use or keep with them on the trail for these situations.
Thanks

blasterfreak88 said:
I am an insulin dependent diabetic that uses an insulin pump. I currently carry glucose tablets with me out on the trail because they are light and dont take up to much space. The thing is that they are very chalky and cause me to drink all of my water just to treat a low blood sugar. I know that the best way to fix this is to try to prevent lows but it can be hard sometimes. I just wanted to know if there are any other diabetic cyclist on here and what they use or keep with them on the trail for these situations.
Thanks

Energy drinks are a big help. Gels (Gu, Hammer Gel, Clif Shot, and etc) are also what I'd consider an essential for diabetics, especially Type I diabetics. Gels pack a lot of sugar and take up a small space, so carrying a few is easy. They still require water--not as much as something dry like glucose tabs--but are much easier to get down. Of course nothing beats being prepared, i.e. knowing your BS before the ride starts and knowing your BS trend before the ride starts; modifying (decreasing) insulin dosage; eating and/or drinking something before the ride; having something to eat/drink during the ride to maintain BS levels........

What kind of energy drinks do you recommend and where do you buy these gel products at? I do try to take early preventative measures like setting temporary basal rates and trying to eat some food with protein before I go out so that it holds more stable.
Thanks

blasterfreak88 said:
What kind of energy drinks do you recommend and where do you buy these gel products at? I do try to take early preventative measures like setting temporary basal rates and trying to eat some food with protein before I go out so that it holds more stable.
Thanks

You can find the gels at bike shops, running stores, camping/hiking/climbing stores, some "supplement" stores, and some grocery stores. As for energy drinks, it really comes down to personal preference. Obviously you don't want glucose-free "energy" drinks. All of 'em have good labels, so you can get a carb count or summat. I also found that a heart rate monitor is invaluable as it could alert me to possible hypoglycemia if I wasn't already aware of it. For instance, if my heart rate was high at low effort or remained high even after decreasing effort. It helps to keep a journal of your bike efforts as it may help you find trends and other helpful bits for maintaining appropriate BS on the bike.