Low-carb eating & triglycerides

Chad C.

Guest
Does the substantial reduction in trigylcerides in the blood
from following a low-carb eating plan (about 50% fat
calories, 25% protein calories, 25% low-glycemic
carbohydrate calories) result in a decreased long-term risk
for heart disease? Blood lipid tests pretty clearly show
triglycerides reducing by about half on average for most
people. I want to know the implications of this over the
long haul.

Thanks!

-Chad

"Chad C." wrote:

> Does the substantial reduction in trigylcerides in the
> blood from following a low-carb eating plan (about 50% fat
> calories, 25% protein calories, 25% low-glycemic
> carbohydrate calories) result in a decreased long-term
> risk for heart disease?

Ime, no.

> Blood lipid tests pretty clearly show triglycerides
> reducing by about half on average for most people. I want
> to know the implications of this over the long haul.

Ime, heart disease worsens in folks trying to lose weight
with the low-carb approach.

> Thanks!

You are welcome, Chad :)

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z11841938

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

x-no-archive: yes

>Does the substantial reduction in trigylcerides in the
>blood from following a low-carb eating plan (about 50% fat
>calories, 25% protein calories, 25% low-glycemic
>carbohydrate calories) result in a decreased long-term risk
>for heart disease? Blood lipid tests pretty clearly show
>triglycerides reducing by about half on average for most
>people. I want to know the implications of this over the
>long haul.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Chad

Triglycerides are an independent risk factor, some
researchers believe TGL to be a more accurate
predictor of CVD:

"A new study suggests that level of triglyceride in the
blood may help predict heart attack risk as well as other
more well-known blood fats such as LDL and HDL
cholesterol. High triglycerides alone increased the risk
of heart attack nearly three-fold, according to a report
in the current issue of Circulation. And people with the
highest ratio of triglycerides to HDL -- the "good"
cholesterol -- had 16 times the risk of heart attack as
those with the lowest ratio of triglycerides to HDL in the
study of 340 heart attack patients and 340 of their
healthy, same age counterparts. The ratio of triglycerides
to HDL was the strongest predictor of a heart attack, even
more accurate than the
LDL/HDL ratio," reported Harvard lead study author.
Triglycerides, a mixture of fatty acids and
glycerol that make up the principle fats in the
blood, bind to carrier proteins, forming compounds
known as lipoproteins. Other types of lipoproteins
that carry cholesterol, such as LDL and HDL, are
known to be related to the risk of heart disease
because of their propensity to deposit -- or not
deposit -- fat in coronary arteries. However, it
has not been clear if triglyceride level could
predict heart attack risk, despite years of
research." Circulation (1997;96:2520-2525)

Susan

Hi Andrew,

Could you please elucidate your reasoning?

Thanks!

-Chad

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> "Chad C." wrote:
>
> > Does the substantial reduction in trigylcerides in the
> > blood from
following
> > a low-carb eating plan (about 50% fat calories, 25%
> > protein calories,
25%
> > low-glycemic carbohydrate calories) result in a
> > decreased long-term risk
for
> > heart disease?
>
> Ime, no.
>
> > Blood lipid tests pretty clearly show triglycerides
> > reducing by about half on average for most people. I
> > want to know the
implications of
> > this over the long haul.
> >

> Ime, heart disease worsens in folks trying to lose weight
> with the
low-carb

"Chad C." wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Could you please elucidate your reasoning?

One possible explanation for what I have observed is what
happens at a molecular level when someone has hyperketonemia
from being carb deficient.

This has been discussed before here at SMC and should be
archived in Google.

Google keywords:

hyperketonemia, Barry Sears, Atkins

> Thanks!

You are welcome, Chad :)

Andrew

--

Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:

> "Chad C." wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Could you please elucidate your reasoning?
>>
> One possible explanation for what I have observed is what
> happens at a molecular level when someone has
> hyperketonemia from being carb deficient.
>
> This has been discussed before here at SMC and should be
> archived in Google.

This has been discussed, but almost always with the premise
of hyperketonemia as the permanent condition. Reduced carbs
doesn't necessarily cause any sorts of ketotic conditions;
it varies from person to person.

Go over to alt.support.diet.low-carb and ask the same
question. Lots of people with very specific information
about it; lots of experience. The FAQ is posted every day
and has lots of good leads to investigate.

Bob

> Google keywords:
>
> hyperketonemia, Barry Sears, Atkins

Well, what about this explanation:

High TG and low HDL indicates insulin resistance. The most
obvious symptom of insulin resistance is of course highly
increased insulin levels in blood and unstable blood sugar.
Both are highly atherogenic.

So maybe TG/HDL ration is nothing else than indicator of
insulin resistance. As TG and HDL are related with general
dislipidemia and high TC as well, it would simply explain
most results of Farmingham stdies, failed results of non-
statin TC reduction drugs, failed results of low-fat mania
etc, etc...

In this context low-carb would indeed be benefical, as it
should improve both BG stability and reduce insulin
secretion - and this would be demonstrated in improved TG
and HDL levels.

As for dr. Chung's (and Barry Sear's) concerns about lipid
peroxidation due to ketonemia, well, in very deep ketosis or
ketoacidosis it really might happen. In any case it is
better to stay away from deep ketosis and to suplement with
E vitamin to prevent peroxidation.

Speaking about it, many consider The Zone to be the low-carb
plan. South-Beach promotes itself as non-ketogenic from the
day one. Atkins is ketogenic, but when followed as written
it should lead you on the "edge" of ketosis (around 50g
carbs a day). That is as ketogenic as fasting for 24 hours.

Mirek

"Susan " <[email protected]> pí¹e v diskusním pøíspìvku
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> >Does the substantial reduction in trigylcerides in the
> >blood from
following
> >a low-carb eating plan (about 50% fat calories, 25%
> >protein calories,
25%
> >low-glycemic carbohydrate calories) result in a decreased
> >long-term
risk for
> >heart disease? Blood lipid tests pretty clearly show
> >triglycerides
reducing
> >by about half on average for most people. I want to
> >know the
implications of

"Mirek Fidler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well, what about this explanation:
>
> High TG and low HDL indicates insulin resistance. The most
> obvious symptom of insulin resistance is of course highly
> increased insulin levels in blood and unstable blood
> sugar. Both are highly atherogenic.
>
> So maybe TG/HDL ration is nothing else than indicator of
> insulin resistance. As TG and HDL are related with general
> dislipidemia and high TC as well, it would simply explain
> most results of Farmingham stdies, failed results of non-
> statin TC reduction drugs, failed results of low-fat mania
> etc, etc...
>
> In this context low-carb would indeed be benefical, as it
> should improve both BG stability and reduce insulin
> secretion - and this would be demonstrated in improved TG
> and HDL levels.
>
> As for dr. Chung's (and Barry Sear's) concerns about lipid
> peroxidation due to ketonemia, well, in very deep ketosis
> or ketoacidosis it really might happen. In any case it is
> better to stay away from deep ketosis and to suplement
> with E vitamin to prevent peroxidation.
>
> Speaking about it, many consider The Zone to be the low-
> carb plan. South-Beach promotes itself as non-ketogenic
> from the day one. Atkins is ketogenic, but when followed
> as written it should lead you on the "edge" of ketosis
> (around 50g carbs a day). That is as ketogenic as fasting
> for 24 hours.
>
> Mirek

Salut Mirek

I invite you to comment on my posts (elsewhere) in this
thread regarding my cholesterol levels. I won't repeat the
information here. Jim Chinnis has found something very
interesting relative to my experience of the past several
months. And, some of the links Al Lohse has posted have some
relation to what Jim has found.

Zee

"Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chad C." wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> > Could you please elucidate your reasoning?
> >

> One possible explanation for what I have observed is what
> happens at a
molecular
> level when someone has hyperketonemia from being carb
> deficient.
>
> This has been discussed before here at SMC and should be
> archived in
Google.

> Google keywords:
>
> hyperketonemia, Barry Sears, Atkins

Andrew:

I always find it a tad disturbing to see Sears and Atkins
compared. I think Sears is so much more balanced than
Atkins. Do you not agree?

Julianne wrote:

> "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "Chad C." wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > Could you please elucidate your reasoning?
> > >

> > One possible explanation for what I have observed is
> > what happens at a
> molecular
> > level when someone has hyperketonemia from being carb
> > deficient.
> >
> > This has been discussed before here at SMC and should be
> > archived in
> Google.
> >
> > Google keywords:
> >
> > hyperketonemia, Barry Sears, Atkins
>
> Andrew:
>
> I always find it a tad disturbing to see Sears and Atkins
> compared. I think Sears is so much more balanced than
> Atkins. Do you not agree?

Yes.

Andrew

--