Low-carb ice cream

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. BMoss69893

    BMoss69893 Guest

    >Breyer's low-carb ice cream
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/ola4

    I checked out the web site. Something about "Net Carbs." What are net carbs? Have seen this on other
    products. Dietitian did not know either. Betty.

  2. Guy Scharf

    Guy Scharf Guest

    [email protected] (BMoss69893) wrote:

    >>Breyer's low-carb ice cream
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/ola4
    >
    > I checked out the web site. Something about "Net Carbs." What are net carbs? Have seen this on
    > other products. Dietitian did not know either. Betty.

    As the web site says:

    "NET CARBS CALCULATION: For those watching their carbs, net carbs are calculated by taking the grams
    of Total Carbohydrates and subtracting the grams of fiber and the grams of sugar alcohol as found in
    the Nutrition Facts box."

    Fiber is not digested and just passes through the system. Sugar alcohol does not contribute to blood
    sugar increase for most people (but does for some). However, I believe that sugar alcohols are
    metabolized so their calories count.

    --
    Guy T2, dx 5/95, 60yo metformin+actos+lisinopril+diet+exercise

  3. Joe Durusau

    Joe Durusau Guest

    BMoss69893 wrote:
    >>Breyer's low-carb ice cream
    >>
    >>http://tinyurl.com/ola4
    >

    > I checked out the web site. Something about "Net Carbs." What are net carbs? Have seen this on
    > other products. Dietitian did not know either. Betty.

    The term refers to carbs that are bioavailable. I don't remember enough biochemistry to explain the
    details (or maybe neer knew enough), but the idea is that some carbs may be present but bound or
    somehow indigestible. If I were you, I would use tot total carb number first, then see how the food
    in quesitn affects you. There are just too many variables from persone to person to trust a
    significant difference in this area.

    Speaking only for myself,

    Joe Durusau

  4. BMoss69893 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >Breyer's low-carb ice cream
    > >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/ola4
    >
    > I checked out the web site. Something about "Net Carbs." What are net
    carbs?
    > Have seen this on other products. Dietitian did not know either. Betty.

    'Net carbs' are the carbohydrates one takes in while surfing the World Wide Web - aka 'E-carbs.'

    (Seriously, I'd assume it's the net amount of digestible carbs, as opposed to the gross carbohydrate
    content, which might include indigestible carbs.)

  5. Jenny

    Jenny Guest

    Net carbs is a scam put out by food companies to let you think their foods
    are low carb when they are not. They deduct the grams of sugar alcohols
    from the carb count and pretend they have no impact on blood sugar. Here's a
    great new resource for understanding the physiological impact of sugar
    alcohols:
    http://www.diabetes.ca/Files/SugarAlcohols--Wolever--CJDDecember2002.pdf

    That said, the Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream is STILL low carb even if you count all the sugar
    alcohol grams they ignore as full grams of carbs. It tastes very good and my blood sugar meter loves
    it! Just be careful to keep an eye on portion size.

    -- Jenny

    168.5/137

    Low Carb 9/1998 - 8/2001 and 11/10/02 - Now

    http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean How to calculate your need for protein * How much people
    really lose each month * Water Weight Gain & Loss * The "Two Gram Cure" for Hunger Cravings
    * Characteristics of Successful Dieters * Indispensible Low Carb Treats * Should You Count that Low
    Impact Carb? * Curing Ketobreath * Exercise Starting from Zero * NEW! Do Starch Blockers Work?

    "BMoss69893" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m15.aol.com...

    > >Breyer's low-carb ice cream
    > >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/ola4
    >
    > I checked out the web site. Something about "Net Carbs." What are net
    carbs?
    > Have seen this on other products. Dietitian did not know either. Betty.

  6. loralspam

    loralspam Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:36:35 GMT, "Robert E. Lewis"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >'Net carbs' are the carbohydrates one takes in while surfing the World Wide Web - aka 'E-carbs.'
    >
    >(Seriously, I'd assume it's the net amount of digestible carbs, as opposed to the gross
    >carbohydrate content, which might include indigestible carbs.)

    Personally, as far as using them as a useful diabetic eating guide, I reckon you were right
    first time.

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz

  7. Carmen

    Carmen Guest

    Hi Jenny,
    On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 14:25:58 GMT, you held up the following for
    inspection:

    > Net carbs is a scam put out by food companies to let you think their foods are low carb when they
    > are not. They deduct the grams of sugar alcohols from the carb count and pretend they have no
    > impact on blood sugar. Here's a great new resource for understanding the physiological impact of
    > sugar alcohols: http://www.diabetes.ca/Files/SugarAlcohols--Wolever--CJDDecember2002.pdf
    >
    > That said, the Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream is STILL low carb even if you count all the sugar
    > alcohol grams they ignore as full grams of carbs. It tastes very good and my blood sugar meter
    > loves it! Just be careful to keep an eye on portion size.

    <Laughing> And you said you had me killfiled. Admit it, I'm just too darn adorable to killfile.
    <BEG> It is a good resource, which is why I posted it to both ASDLC and ASD. If I find any more like
    that one I'll post them too.

    Take care, Carmen