low carb is nothing but a gimmick

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jimmy Camp, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Jimmy Camp

    Jimmy Camp Guest

    Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. Don't
    believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
    product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content. So if this
    diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
    its a bad diet but a miss representation.

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Avoiding junk food, soft
    drinks, sugar, and getting plenty of exercise are certainly good steps
    for anyone to take. However, for some people perhaps this is part -
    but not all - of the solution. For example, I have had a noticeable
    tendency in the past to overeat starchy foods like bread & pasta - and
    I feel a lot better for getting rid of 95% of this stuff from my diet
    (and I've since lost almost 10% of my bodyweight, with more to come).
    After all, most (possibly all) starchy foods are - in their raw state -
    indigestible at best and poisonous at worst. Did mother nature really
    mean for us to eat this stuff, or is it best left for birds and mice?!

    Even if you think a low carb approach isn't "the answer", I don't see
    why it's a "scam". Following this diet hasn't involved me giving any
    of my hard-earned money to snake oil salesmen. Nobody has scammed me.
    Or am I missing something?

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Jimmy Camp <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

    You're too stupid to understand why low carb works, webtv'er.

  4. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Jimmy Camp is an intellectual "LOSSER", trying to prove his bad taste.

    Thanks for the chuckle :)

    > Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are *lossing*
    > weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    > drinks thats doing the trick.

  5. "Jimmy Camp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    > weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    > drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    > deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    > your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    > the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    > to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    > anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    > reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range.

    You're 100% correct, I've done it. However most of us have to do more than
    keep our weight in a decent range. We have to lose weight. Unless you cut
    something out, simply eating as you described will not result in any loss.

  6. Jimmy Camp wrote:
    > Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    > weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    > drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    > deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    > your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    > the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    > to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    > anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    > reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. Don't
    > believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
    > product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content. So if this
    > diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
    > its a bad diet but a miss representation.

    So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
    to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
    no magic.

    Well D'UH.

    TC

  7. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
    > to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
    > no magic.
    >
    > Well D'UH.

    Heh... good one TC.

    I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating low...
    or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered calories, so
    that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

    HG

  8. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
    > to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
    > no magic.
    >
    > Well D'UH.

    Heh... good one TC.

    I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating low...
    or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered calories, so
    that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

    HG

  9. Saintor

    Saintor Guest

    Webtv.

    Low-carb can work in different manners. In my case, it was because (1)
    eating more proteins just did a better jobs of preventing me from starving
    (2) and my taste for sugar has significantly decreased, thus eating more
    wisely. I also make sure to eat a lot of vegetables. After 20 yrs of
    trying something else that obviously didn't work, I can only laugh at your
    judgemental and baseless rationale.

    "Jimmy Camp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    > weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    > drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    > deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    > your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    > the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    > to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    > anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    > reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. Don't
    > believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
    > product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content. So if this
    > diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
    > its a bad diet but a miss representation.

  10. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Hannah Gruen wrote:
    :: <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ::
    ::: So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you
    ::: need to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works.
    ::: There is no magic.
    :::
    ::: Well D'UH.
    ::
    :: Heh... good one TC.
    ::
    :: I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating
    :: low... or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered
    :: calories, so that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

    Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk (rice,
    pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat stuff) and
    that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

  11. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Hannah Gruen wrote:
    :: <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ::
    ::: So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you
    ::: need to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works.
    ::: There is no magic.
    :::
    ::: Well D'UH.
    ::
    :: Heh... good one TC.
    ::
    :: I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating
    :: low... or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered
    :: calories, so that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

    Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk (rice,
    pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat stuff) and
    that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

  12. gweebles

    gweebles Guest

    Why does everyone bother to answer these people? We all know they come
    in to start up problems and then bounce out laughing, GEEZ!!!

  13. "Jimmy Camp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <SNIP>

    Q: What kind of people use WebTV?

    A: Those that think AOL is too complicated!!!
    --
    ClabberHead 6.0 (aka Iron Chef Atkins)
    248.5/213.0/185.0 Livin' La Vida Low-Carb since 5/1/03

  14. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk
    > (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat
    > stuff) and that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

    When you look at it from a nutrient density standpoint, however, these
    "nonjunk" foods don't have much value either, they just aren't as actively
    harmful as the "junk." Starchy foods don't really contain much more than
    linked sugar molecules. The proportion of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and
    protein is proportionally *very* low compared to most low-starch vegetables.
    I think most people overestimate the nutritional value in starchy foods,
    such as grains, don't you?

    HG

  15. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Hannah Gruen <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :> news:[email protected]
    :>
    :>> Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider
    :>> junk (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that
    :>> low fat stuff) and that still results in lowered calories, and
    :>> weight loss.
    :>
    :> When you look at it from a nutrient density standpoint, however,
    :> these "nonjunk" foods don't have much value either, they just aren't
    :> as actively harmful as the "junk." Starchy foods don't really
    :> contain much more than linked sugar molecules. The proportion of
    :> vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein is proportionally *very* low
    :> compared to most low-starch vegetables. I think most people
    :> overestimate the nutritional value in starchy foods, such as grains,
    :> don't you?

    Of course. It's called "non-junk food" abuse and it generally leads to
    people getting fat over time. :)

  16. ROger you are wise and knoweldgable when ever I think of stopping or
    changing my eating habits,your logic and true facts help. Please know
    that you are a great asset to a lot of people who are new and
    learning!!!!!

  17. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I think of the "rice, pasta, potatoes, bread" like sugar. What I mean is,
    if there is a pile of potatoes on my plate, I imagine it as a pile of sugar.
    This helps me. Eating a pile of sugar would taste good, but somehow it is
    obvious that one should not do it. We should feel the same way about a pile
    of pasta, but the lifetime training is different.

    I have suspected that in cooking and preparing starches, that the sugary
    nature is made apparent to the body on a subliminal level. There may not be
    an obvious sugar taste to the conscious mind, but somewhere deep inside our
    brain says: Damn, that's sugar! eat eat

    "Hannah Gruen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk
    > > (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat
    > > stuff) and that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

    > When you look at it from a nutrient density standpoint, however, these
    > "nonjunk" foods don't have much value either, they just aren't as actively
    > harmful as the "junk." Starchy foods don't really contain much more than
    > linked sugar molecules. The proportion of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and
    > protein is proportionally *very* low compared to most low-starch

    vegetables.
    > I think most people overestimate the nutritional value in starchy foods,
    > such as grains, don't you?
    >
    > HG

  18. DigitalVinyl

    DigitalVinyl Guest

    [email protected] (Jimmy Camp) wrote:

    >Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    >weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    >drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    >deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    >your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    >the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    >to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    >anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    >reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. So if this
    >diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
    >its a bad diet but a miss representation.

    And diabetics don't need to avoid sugar either. Sugar is harmless.
    Diabetes is a fad.

    >Don't
    >believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
    >product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content.

    You haven't looked at enough foods. But here's a shocking news flash
    for you... carbs are sugars... except for fiber the human body breaks
    all of them down into glucose.
    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
    350/289/225 month-start: 288 monthly-goal: 0 since: 12/01/2004
    Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
    In Maintenance, not counting (CCLL=50-60)

  19. DigitalVinyl

    DigitalVinyl Guest

    [email protected] (Jimmy Camp) wrote:

    >Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
    >weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
    >drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
    >deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
    >your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
    >the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
    >to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
    >anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
    >reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. So if this
    >diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
    >its a bad diet but a miss representation.

    And diabetics don't need to avoid sugar either. Sugar is harmless.
    Diabetes is a fad.

    >Don't
    >believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
    >product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content.

    You haven't looked at enough foods. But here's a shocking news flash
    for you... carbs are sugars... except for fiber the human body breaks
    all of them down into glucose.
    DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
    350/289/225 month-start: 288 monthly-goal: 0 since: 12/01/2004
    Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
    In Maintenance, not counting (CCLL=50-60)

  20. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >I think of the "rice, pasta, potatoes, bread" like sugar. What I mean is,
    > if there is a pile of potatoes on my plate, I imagine it as a pile of
    > sugar.
    > This helps me.

    That's a good mental tool to use. I'll have to try that the next time rolls
    or rice tempt me. I find that kind of imaging to be quite effective - except
    that I have to be focused enough to *remember* to use it. .

    > Eating a pile of sugar would taste good, but somehow it is
    > obvious that one should not do it. We should feel the same way about a
    > pile
    > of pasta, but the lifetime training is different.

    I'm more that way with rice. I still feel a little deprived when I go out
    for Thai or Chinese food and have the lovely stir fry dishes or curries with
    no rice. And even with several years of Atkins behind us, at those Chinese
    takeout places they always seem to think I'm insane when I specify "no rice
    or noodles."

    > I have suspected that in cooking and preparing starches, that the sugary
    > nature is made apparent to the body on a subliminal level. There may not
    > be
    > an obvious sugar taste to the conscious mind, but somewhere deep inside
    > our
    > brain says: Damn, that's sugar! eat eat

    Oh definitely. Your body is pretty well aware of what it needs and wants,
    and what foods contain what. Unnatural and processed foods often throw
    things off, though, I think.

    They say that, left to their own selection, and not distracted by unnatural
    junk/processed foods, kids will generally choose a pretty good diet for
    themselves. I remember loving vegetables, wanting more meat/fish/chicken,
    and being less enthusiastic about starches. As if my body knew.

    HG