low carb is nothing but a gimmick

Jimmy Camp

Guest
Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. Don't
believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content. So if this
diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
its a bad diet but a miss representation.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. Avoiding junk food, soft
drinks, sugar, and getting plenty of exercise are certainly good steps
for anyone to take. However, for some people perhaps this is part -
but not all - of the solution. For example, I have had a noticeable
tendency in the past to overeat starchy foods like bread & pasta - and
I feel a lot better for getting rid of 95% of this stuff from my diet
(and I've since lost almost 10% of my bodyweight, with more to come).
After all, most (possibly all) starchy foods are - in their raw state -
indigestible at best and poisonous at worst. Did mother nature really
mean for us to eat this stuff, or is it best left for birds and mice?!

Even if you think a low carb approach isn't "the answer", I don't see
why it's a "scam". Following this diet hasn't involved me giving any
of my hard-earned money to snake oil salesmen. Nobody has scammed me.
Or am I missing something?

Jimmy Camp <[email protected]> wrote:
[...]

You're too stupid to understand why low carb works, webtv'er.

Jimmy Camp is an intellectual "LOSSER", trying to prove his bad taste.

Thanks for the chuckle :)

> Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are *lossing*
> weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
> drinks thats doing the trick.

"Jimmy Camp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
> weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
> drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
> deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
> your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
> the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
> to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
> anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
> reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range.

You're 100% correct, I've done it. However most of us have to do more than
keep our weight in a decent range. We have to lose weight. Unless you cut
something out, simply eating as you described will not result in any loss.

Jimmy Camp wrote:
> Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
> weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
> drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
> deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
> your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
> the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
> to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
> anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
> reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. Don't
> believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
> product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content. So if this
> diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
> its a bad diet but a miss representation.

So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
no magic.

Well D'UH.

TC

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
> to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
> no magic.
>
> Well D'UH.

Heh... good one TC.

I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating low...
or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered calories, so
that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

HG

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you need
> to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works. There is
> no magic.
>
> Well D'UH.

Heh... good one TC.

I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating low...
or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered calories, so
that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

HG

Webtv.

Low-carb can work in different manners. In my case, it was because (1)
eating more proteins just did a better jobs of preventing me from starving
(2) and my taste for sugar has significantly decreased, thus eating more
wisely. I also make sure to eat a lot of vegetables. After 20 yrs of
trying something else that obviously didn't work, I can only laugh at your
judgemental and baseless rationale.

Hannah Gruen wrote:
:: <[email protected]> wrote in message
::
::: So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you
::: need to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works.
::: There is no magic.
:::
::: Well D'UH.
::
:: Heh... good one TC.
::
:: I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating
:: low... or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered
:: calories, so that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk (rice,
pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat stuff) and
that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

Hannah Gruen wrote:
:: <[email protected]> wrote in message
::
::: So what you are saying is that it is a cheap trick to do what you
::: need to do to succesfully lose weight. It works because it works.
::: There is no magic.
:::
::: Well D'UH.
::
:: Heh... good one TC.
::
:: I love it when anti-lc'ers get all huffy about the fact that eating
:: low... or lower... carb gets rid of the junk and results in lowered
:: calories, so that you lose weight... a cheap trick, alrightee.

Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk (rice,
pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat stuff) and
that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

Why does everyone bother to answer these people? We all know they come
in to start up problems and then bounce out laughing, GEEZ!!!

"Jimmy Camp" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

<SNIP>

Q: What kind of people use WebTV?

A: Those that think AOL is too complicated!!!
--
ClabberHead 6.0 (aka Iron Chef Atkins)
248.5/213.0/185.0 Livin' La Vida Low-Carb since 5/1/03

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider junk
> (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that low fat
> stuff) and that still results in lowered calories, and weight loss.

When you look at it from a nutrient density standpoint, however, these
"nonjunk" foods don't have much value either, they just aren't as actively
harmful as the "junk." Starchy foods don't really contain much more than
linked sugar molecules. The proportion of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and
protein is proportionally *very* low compared to most low-starch vegetables.
I think most people overestimate the nutritional value in starchy foods,
such as grains, don't you?

HG

Hannah Gruen <[email protected]> wrote:
:> "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
:> news:[email protected]...
:>
:>> Interestingly, LC also get rid of foods that many don't consider
:>> junk (rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, juice, and all the rest of that
:>> low fat stuff) and that still results in lowered calories, and
:>> weight loss.
:>
:> When you look at it from a nutrient density standpoint, however,
:> these "nonjunk" foods don't have much value either, they just aren't
:> as actively harmful as the "junk." Starchy foods don't really
:> contain much more than linked sugar molecules. The proportion of
:> vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein is proportionally *very* low
:> compared to most low-starch vegetables. I think most people
:> overestimate the nutritional value in starchy foods, such as grains,
:> don't you?

Of course. It's called "non-junk food" abuse and it generally leads to
people getting fat over time. :)

ROger you are wise and knoweldgable when ever I think of stopping or
changing my eating habits,your logic and true facts help. Please know
that you are a great asset to a lot of people who are new and
learning!!!!!

I think of the "rice, pasta, potatoes, bread" like sugar. What I mean is,
if there is a pile of potatoes on my plate, I imagine it as a pile of sugar.
This helps me. Eating a pile of sugar would taste good, but somehow it is
obvious that one should not do it. We should feel the same way about a pile
of pasta, but the lifetime training is different.

I have suspected that in cooking and preparing starches, that the sugary
nature is made apparent to the body on a subliminal level. There may not be
an obvious sugar taste to the conscious mind, but somewhere deep inside our
brain says: Damn, that's sugar! eat eat

news:[email protected]...

[email protected] (Jimmy Camp) wrote:

>Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
>weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
>drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
>deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
>your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
>the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
>to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
>anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
>reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. So if this
>diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
>its a bad diet but a miss representation.

And diabetics don't need to avoid sugar either. Sugar is harmless.
Diabetes is a fad.

>Don't
>believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
>product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content.

You haven't looked at enough foods. But here's a shocking news flash
for you... carbs are sugars... except for fiber the human body breaks
all of them down into glucose.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/289/225 month-start: 288 monthly-goal: 0 since: 12/01/2004
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
In Maintenance, not counting (CCLL=50-60)

[email protected] (Jimmy Camp) wrote:

>Low carb is nothing but a scam and the truth is if you are lossing
>weight its not because of ketosis its really avoiding junk food and soft
>drinks thats doing the trick. Low carb is nothing more than a sugar
>deprivation diet that only limits meat, cheese, milk, unsweaten tea, as
>your only source of food. The whole trick is in this diet is to convince
>the dieter thats its the carbs thats determines everthing and you have
>to keep the carbs under 20 to 40 grams a day. But the truth is if
>anybody can avoid fast food, chips, twinkes, sodas, candy bars, and get
>reasonable exercise you can keep your weight in a decent range. So if this
>diet isn't working so far for you don't give up keep it up im not saying
>its a bad diet but a miss representation.

And diabetics don't need to avoid sugar either. Sugar is harmless.
Diabetes is a fad.

>Don't
>believe me the next time you check out the carbs on the back of a food
>product it will be almost equilavent to the sugar content.

You haven't looked at enough foods. But here's a shocking news flash
for you... carbs are sugars... except for fiber the human body breaks
all of them down into glucose.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
350/289/225 month-start: 288 monthly-goal: 0 since: 12/01/2004
Atkins since Jan 12, 2004
In Maintenance, not counting (CCLL=50-60)

"Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>I think of the "rice, pasta, potatoes, bread" like sugar. What I mean is,
> if there is a pile of potatoes on my plate, I imagine it as a pile of
> sugar.
> This helps me.

That's a good mental tool to use. I'll have to try that the next time rolls
or rice tempt me. I find that kind of imaging to be quite effective - except
that I have to be focused enough to *remember* to use it. .

> Eating a pile of sugar would taste good, but somehow it is
> obvious that one should not do it. We should feel the same way about a
> pile
> of pasta, but the lifetime training is different.

I'm more that way with rice. I still feel a little deprived when I go out
for Thai or Chinese food and have the lovely stir fry dishes or curries with
no rice. And even with several years of Atkins behind us, at those Chinese
takeout places they always seem to think I'm insane when I specify "no rice
or noodles."

> I have suspected that in cooking and preparing starches, that the sugary
> nature is made apparent to the body on a subliminal level. There may not
> be
> an obvious sugar taste to the conscious mind, but somewhere deep inside
> our
> brain says: Damn, that's sugar! eat eat

Oh definitely. Your body is pretty well aware of what it needs and wants,
and what foods contain what. Unnatural and processed foods often throw
things off, though, I think.

They say that, left to their own selection, and not distracted by unnatural
junk/processed foods, kids will generally choose a pretty good diet for
themselves. I remember loving vegetables, wanting more meat/fish/chicken,
and being less enthusiastic about starches. As if my body knew.

HG