low-carb / low-fat ??

Ray Miller

Guest
Just watched a program in the UK on Atkins.

It gave a potted history, showing how atkins came from nowhere to huge, and tried to prove or
disprove some of the claims.

The conclusion is that Atkins works in exactly the same way as all the other diets. It works because
people eat less calories. The intriguing bit was WHY people ate fewer calories.

It seems that probably all the claims are untrue. You can't eat as much as you used to. Fat doesn't
fill you up. Ketosis doesn't help - it's probably a red herring. etc. (Ketosis may be a smoke and
mirrors device to keep you OP).

The answer is that high protein fills you up (probably by suppressing appetite. So on Atkins you eat
less because you eat more protein.

Interesting or what!!

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

Very interesting Ray--thanks for sharing!!!

--
Janice
263/250.5/150 (maybe 130)

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just watched a program in the UK on Atkins.
>
> It gave a potted history, showing how atkins came from nowhere to huge, and tried to prove or
> disprove some of the claims.
>
> The conclusion is that Atkins works in exactly the same way as all the other diets. It works
> because people eat less calories. The intriguing bit was WHY people ate fewer calories.
>
> It seems that probably all the claims are untrue. You can't eat as much as you used to. Fat
> doesn't fill you up. Ketosis doesn't help - it's probably a red herring. etc. (Ketosis may be a
> smoke and mirrors device to keep you OP).
>
> The answer is that high protein fills you up (probably by suppressing appetite. So on Atkins you
> eat less because you eat more protein.
>
> Interesting or what!!
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

ooh - i watched that too - with fascination. I was sure they were going to tell us it works - but
that they couldn't figure out why, and then I was going to feel obliged to go and try it.....

luckily they didn't!

They showed that eating the protein - NOT the FATS - makes you feel fuller, so you eat less. Ergo -
you eat less calories than you did before. So, basically it works like all diets - you eat less
calories - you lose weight.

i always reckoned that might be the case - my mum has sorta done it, and it sorta worked, and
basically it means she eats like she did before - minus the pasta/bread etc..........so - less
calories then!

however - unlike the wonderful balanced approach of WW - there are still outstanding concerns about
the long term effects of eating in such a way - the worry being that with it's huge popularity, it's
like society is having one big diet experiment, with the side-effects lurking to show up in the next
20 year or so. A scarey thought.

So, I'll be sticking with WW then........phew, that was a relief!

--
krys

UK 157/133/126 Started March 1st 2001 GOAL August 16th 2001 ...definitely making progress...

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just watched a program in the UK on Atkins.
>
> It gave a potted history, showing how atkins came from nowhere to huge, and tried to prove or
> disprove some of the claims.
>
> The conclusion is that Atkins works in exactly the same way as all the other diets. It works
> because people eat less calories. The intriguing bit was WHY people ate fewer calories.
>
> It seems that probably all the claims are untrue. You can't eat as much as you used to. Fat
> doesn't fill you up. Ketosis doesn't help - it's probably a red herring. etc. (Ketosis may be a
> smoke and mirrors device to keep you OP).
>
> The answer is that high protein fills you up (probably by suppressing appetite. So on Atkins you
> eat less because you eat more protein.
>
> Interesting or what!!
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

A lot of us who have been on Atkins before came to this same conclusion, which is why I'm always
banging on to people about getting more protein to fill you up (and reduce simple carbs). I could
never stick to such a low carb diet for life, but a lowER carb diet seems to work well for me. If I
stick to wholegrain versions of bread, rice, and pasta, I feel fuller longer and don't seem to put
on as much weight.

I had to laugh, I looked at my old Atkins daily menus recently and no wonder I lost weight:

Breakfast Omelette: 2 eggs, 1 oz. cheese, turkey bacon, mushrooms

Lunch Tuna salad: tuna, lettuce, mayo

Snack almonds

Dinner lettuce salad dressing grilled chicken

Total Carbs 21

Wow, it's a miracle! I lost (a ton of water) weight that week! All the fun ended when the weight
stopped coming off and I felt ill. It might work for others, but personally, I would never try it
again. It's not exactly a miracle diet, as you can see from my old menu.

Cheers, Petal

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just watched a program in the UK on Atkins.
>
> It gave a potted history, showing how atkins came from nowhere to huge, and tried to prove or
> disprove some of the claims.
>
> The conclusion is that Atkins works in exactly the same way as all the other diets. It works
> because people eat less calories. The intriguing bit was WHY people ate fewer calories.
>
> It seems that probably all the claims are untrue. You can't eat as much as you used to. Fat
> doesn't fill you up. Ketosis doesn't help - it's probably a red herring. etc. (Ketosis may be a
> smoke and mirrors device to keep you OP).
>
> The answer is that high protein fills you up (probably by suppressing appetite. So on Atkins you
> eat less because you eat more protein.
>
> Interesting or what!!
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/205/182

that is very interesting. protein doesn't do it for me in a satisfaction
way, I need veggies and carbos to feel full, but I don't care for the
textures of most protein items. I work at eating more and when I get more
in I do lose better but I find it odd that this theory, which makes so much
sense is the reason I never tried the diet. The thought of eating that much
meat just gags me, I am sure I even have a limit on eating bacon, although I
don't actually know what that would be, Lee