Low carb not a healthy beer option

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
This is bad news :D

news.com.au said:
Low carb beer has been branded an "insidious health risk" by a doctor who says it could encourage more drinking and, take note girls, it does little to prevent a beer gut.

Diet conscious drinkers have flocked to beers like Foster's Pure Blonde and Bluetongue's Bondi Blonde which make much of their low-carbohydrate credentials, says addiction expert Dr Peter Miller.

But such beers should not be seen as a "healthy alternative" to full-strength beer, he said, and if your waistline was the concern then a switch to light beer would be better.

"The recent rapid increase in popularity of low-carbohydrate beers in Australia ... may represent an insidious health risk," Dr Miller said.

"The message should be made explicit - low-carb beers are not a healthy choice."

The problem, Dr Miller said, was that while the beers had lower carbohydrate levels they delivered almost the same energy load to the body as full strength beer.

Low-carb beers contain around 1.5 grams of carbohydrate per 100ml - about half that found in full strength beer.

But when it comes to overall kilojoules of energy delivered to the body, low carb is not far short of full strength beer.

Low-carb beers pack about 130 kilojoules of energy per 100ml while full strength beer can range from 150 - 170 kilojoules.

Link: Low carb not a healthy beer option, doctor warns | News.com.au

I think low carb beer is just like non-alcoholic beer: a drink without a purpose.

Low carb beer is the creation of Satan, and about as much use in the real world as a whistle on a plow.

taniwha said:
Low carb beer is the creation of Satan, and about as much use in the real world as a whistle on a plow.

That would lend creedence to my theory that angels told the monks how to brew the Trappist ales...sooooo good.

This isn't a suprise, look at the carbs in a full strength beer ( bout 8 grams from memory ) whish is hardly any then look at a low carb bout a quater of that. A quater of nothing is still nothing, it's always been a sales gimmick

Low carb beer is like having sex on the beach. "F**king close to water".

I don't bother with all the low carb rubbish. I drink real beer content that i will work it all off on the bike. After a good session in the pub the day after on the bike is a little rough at first but once the sweat starts to seep through thinhs soon return to normal. Everything in moderation is my motto. I can't imagine drinking low carb beer.