Low Carb Pancake Syrup?

PJx

Guest
I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.

What brand do you recommend?

I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which I add
some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health. Often
I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.

PJ
180/158/158

Ignoramus23449 wrote:
|| it is kinda pointless to look for a low carb syrup to put on high
|| carb pancakes.

One can make LC pancakes - they certainly would be homemade, too.

|| On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:36:49 -0600, PJx <[email protected]> wrote:
||| I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
||| with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
||| What brand do you recommend?
||| I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which I
||| add some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health.
||| Often I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.
||| PJ
||| 180/158/158
|| --
|| 223/172.3/180

PJ,

The very best low carb pancake syrup is the Cozy Cottage sugar free brand.
There's another version from the same company that has "Vermont" in the
title. They sell them at the supermarket all over the Northeast. One huge
serving has 2 grams of sorbitol and I never use anywhere near the full
serving.

The texture is thick, the flavor mapley, and it goes great on my low carb
protein pancakes.

(The pancake recipe is at
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/recipes.htm)

- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.7 .
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/

Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm

"PJx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
> with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
>
> What brand do you recommend?
>
> I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which I add
> some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health. Often
> I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.
>

> PJ
> 180/158/158

"Roger Zoul" <
: ||| I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
: ||| with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
:
: try this: http://tinyurl.com/42tpz

Thanks, Roger.

Pat in TX
:
:

i absolutely LOVE da vinci pancake syrup.
SF and sweetened with splenda ONLY!

--

"GQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:36:49 -0600, PJx <[email protected]> wrote:
:
: >I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very
disappointed
: >with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
: >
: > What brand do you recommend?
: >
: > I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which
I add
: >some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health.
Often
: >I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.
: >
: >
: >PJ
: >180/158/158
:
: What about making your own syrup? One could use some Splenda along
: with whatever kind of berries or whatever you used for the syrup
and
: wouldn't that be low-carb? I have no idea and haven't even started
the
: diet yet but I am reading his book. I wonder about this because I
do
: make my own syrups and jellies and jams and would lo9ve to be able
: make my own low-carb type of toppings and all. What say any of you
: about this anyway?

Pat wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" <
||| try this: http://tinyurl.com/42tpz
|| Thanks, Roger.
|| Pat in TX

Someone posted a nice recipe in this ng not too long ago, that resulted in a
thick LC syrup. However, it was under a thread that I can't remember and I
didn't feel like spending more time googling.

:
: Someone posted a nice recipe in this ng not too long ago, that resulted in
: thick LC syrup. However, it was under a thread that I can't remember and
: didn't feel like spending more time googling.

I was just thinking that maybe I would put the syrup that I have into a
small pot and simmer it until a lot of the water vaporizes. Why not? It's
useless the way it is now.

Pat in TX
:
:

" rosie readandpost" <: i absolutely LOVE da vinci pancake syrup.
: SF and sweetened with splenda ONLY!

I need to know which store might carry it locally. Their website doesn't
tell.

Where do you get it if you don't mail order it?

Pat in TX

Yes, you can make your own syrups with water, Splenda (or other LC
sweetener) and any flavoured extract that you buy in the baking section of
you grocery store. Maple extract works great. Use xanthan or guar gum for
the thickener to your desired consistency. The only carbs will be from
whichever sweetener you use.
Another thing I like is pureed fruit like peaches, blueberries,
strawberries, etc. with some Splenda mixed in for a little sweetness.

on Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:05:45 GMT, GQ <[email protected]> wrote:

>What about making your own syrup? One could use some Splenda along
>with whatever kind of berries or whatever you used for the syrup and
>wouldn't that be low-carb? I have no idea and haven't even started the
>diet yet but I am reading his book. I wonder about this because I do
>make my own syrups and jellies and jams and would lo9ve to be able to
>make my own low-carb type of toppings and all. What say any of you
>about this anyway?

-----
Bev

If you do a google search on this newsgroup, you'll find one of my previous
posts where I give a recipe. I'm just too lazy right now to look for it
myself. :)

on Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:50:24 GMT, GQ <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thanks for the info.

-----
Bev

ummm. Sounds good.

thanks to all

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:02:30 -0500, "Jenny"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>PJ,
>
>The very best low carb pancake syrup is the Cozy Cottage sugar free brand.
>There's another version from the same company that has "Vermont" in the
>title. They sell them at the supermarket all over the Northeast. One huge
>serving has 2 grams of sorbitol and I never use anywhere near the full
>serving.
>
>The texture is thick, the flavor mapley, and it goes great on my low carb
>protein pancakes.
>
>(The pancake recipe is at
>http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/recipes.htm)
>
>- Jenny - Low Carbing for 5 years. Below goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
>hba1c 5.7 .
>Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!
>
>Jenny's new site: What they Don't Tell You About Diabetes
>http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/
>
>Jenny's Low Carb Diet Facts & Figures
>http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/
>
>Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
>Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/Newly Diagnosed.htm
>

>"PJx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
>> with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
>>
>> What brand do you recommend?
>>
>> I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which I add
>> some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health. Often
>> I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.
>>

>> PJ
>> 180/158/158

I think the Atkins syrup is OK, not great perhaps, but it serves the
purpose. If you want to thicken it up, you could try adding some
xanathan or guar gum.

Hi,
On 9-Dec-2004, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was just thinking that maybe I would put the syrup that I have
> into a small pot and simmer it until a lot of the water vaporizes.
> Why
> not? It's useless the way it is now.

One point: that'll concentrate the carb content. Another idea would
be to simmer some with a smidge of one of the vegetable gums (guar,
xanthan, etc.). You could add a touch of extract and improve the
flavor.
I'd just chuck it out and, using water, extract and sweetener with a
vegetable gum for thickening make my own. It could be fun. :)

take care,
Carmen

:
: One point: that'll concentrate the carb content. Another idea would
: be to simmer some with a smidge of one of the vegetable gums (guar,
: xanthan, etc.). You could add a touch of extract and improve the
: flavor.
: I'd just chuck it out and, using water, extract and sweetener with a
: vegetable gum for thickening make my own. It could be fun. :)
:
: take care,
: Carmen

I know! I'll put it outside in a platter and maybe it'll drive the squirrels
away.

I have never seen such a worthless product.

Pat in TX

I like Log Cabin.

"PJx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a bottle of Atkins sugar free syrup and am very disappointed
> with the consistency - like water and the flavor - yuck.
>
> What brand do you recommend?
>
> I sometimes use it on some homemade blueberry pancakes to which I add
> some foods that I hope are beneficial to my long term health. Often
> I just use the dry pancakes as snack food.
>

> PJ
> 180/158/158

Pat,

Here's is one that I have. I haven't tried it yet but I think Peanut Jake
posted it.

Maple Syrup

Serving Size : 24

1 1/2 cups cold water
3/4 cup Splenda
1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon guar gum
1/8 teaspoon salt

-In a microwave safe bowl, add the water & bring to a boil on high.
-Pour water into blender container.
-Add remaining ingredients & whirl until smooth.
-Pour into a container with a lid, store in the fridge; heat before using.
-Makes 1 1/2 cups syrup @ 0.8 carb per Tbsp.{I use only 3/4 cup Splenda as 1
cup is too sweet for me}

news:[email protected]...

On 10 Dec 2004 06:42:03 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>I think the Atkins syrup is OK, not great perhaps, but it serves the
>purpose. If you want to thicken it up, you could try adding some
>xanathan or guar gum.

No, it is not OK. It is watery and almost tasteless. YUCK!!

The bubble rises to the top instantly when you turn it upside down.
What were they thinking? (Profit??).

But you have your right to your opinion.
PJ

I bought a bottle of all the sugar free syrup I could find and ended
up with
Spring Tree Sugar Free Low Calorie Syrup as my favorite.
Maple Grove Farms cozy cottage as a distant second
Atkins Syrup at the bottom of the list.

PJ