Low Carb Study

Cookie Cutter

Guest
I wish someone would do a study on the intersection of carbs and GI.
The higher the GI, the fewer carbs I can eat. The lower the GI, the
more carbs I can eat. Maybe they will eventually get around to it.
These studies are all related to weightloss diets or diabetes. Would be
nice to see a study of the effects of GI/carb in less regimented situations.

Lana

Funding by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the
American Diabetes Association.

http://www.temple.edu/news_media/AtkinsDiabetes.html

STUDY OF OBESE DIABETICS EXPLAINS WHY LOW-CARB DIETS PRODUCE FAST RESULTS
(Philadelphia) - A new study by Temple University School of Medicine
researchers has shown why the pounds melt so quickly on low-carbohydrate
diets, and it's not related to water, metabolism or boredom. The
research was conducted in a group of obese patients with type 2 diabetes
who followed the Atkins diet.

According to lead researcher, Guenther Boden, M.D., "When carbohydrates
were restricted, study subjects spontaneously reduced their caloric
intake to a level appropriate for their height, did not compensate by
eating more protein or fat, and lost weight. We concluded that excessive
overeating had been fueled by carbohydrates."

Almost 80 percent of diabetics are overweight or obese, compounding
health risks such as heart disease and stroke. Boden wanted to examine
how low-carbohydrate diets, which have been shown to produce rapid
weight loss, affected weight, appetite and blood sugar in obese diabetics.

He discovered that study subjects did not eat less because they were
bored with the food selection, and their weight loss was not
attributable to water loss, two common speculations about low-carb
diets. Further, weight loss could not be explained by a change in
metabolism, another popular misconception.

The study, "Short-Term Effects of Low-Carbohydrate Diet Compared with
Usual Diet in Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes," is published in the
March 15 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine. It is the only study
of the Atkins diet to have been conducted in the strictly controlled
environment of a clinical research center where every calorie eaten and
spent was measured.

After a week of typical eating, ten obese patients with type 2 diabetes
followed the Atkins diet for two weeks, with carbohydrates limited to 20
grams per day and unlimited protein and fat.

"When we took away the carbohydrates, the patients spontaneously reduced
their daily energy consumption by 1,000 calories a day. Although they
could have, they did not compensate by eating more proteins and fats and
they weren't bored with the food choices. In fact, they loved the diet.
The carbohydrates were clearly stimulating their excessive appetites,"
said Boden.

All patients stayed in the hospital for the length of the study to
insure exact measurements of calorie intake and expenditure. In other
studies of the Atkins diet, subjects were at home and reported their own
diet and exercise, making it difficult to ensure accuracy.

In addition to the calorie reduction and weight loss, subjects
experienced markedly improved glucose levels and insulin sensitivity, as
well as lower triglycerides and cholesterol.

Treatment for diabetes centers on closely monitoring sugar levels, diet
and medication. Weight loss can often reduce or eliminate the need for
medication, including insulin.

Boden warns that the long term effects of low-carbohydrate diets are not
known. Whether other types of diets would have a similar impact also
remains to be investigated.

Other research projects of Boden's include a National Institutes of
Health supported study of obesity-associated diabetes and cardiovascular
disease.

This study was funding by grants from the National Institutes of Health
and the American Diabetes Association.

A study would be nice.

IMHO: The concept of Glycemic Load makes GI irrelevant. If the carbs are
very low, the glycemic load is low, and it doesn't matter what the GI is.
In other words, I don't worry about eating even pure sugar, if the quantity
is small.

Cubit
311/178.6/165

"Cookie Cutter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [...]

> diet and exercise, making it difficult to ensure accuracy.
>
> In addition to the calorie reduction and weight loss, subjects
> experienced markedly improved glucose levels and insulin sensitivity, as
> well as lower triglycerides and cholesterol.
>
> Treatment for diabetes centers on closely monitoring sugar levels, diet
> and medication. Weight loss can often reduce or eliminate the need for
> medication, including insulin.
>
> Boden warns that the long term effects of low-carbohydrate diets are not
> known. Whether other types of diets would have a similar impact also
> remains to be investigated.
>
> Other research projects of Boden's include a National Institutes of
> Health supported study of obesity-associated diabetes and cardiovascular
> disease.
>
> This study was funding by grants from the National Institutes of Health

I agree, but I've found that eating even small amounts of high-GI foods
that stay within my daily net carb allotment gives me hunger pangs within
an hour. I never payed attention to GI until I noticed that I was
*famished* about an hour after eating 4 small figs whereas this doesn't
happen when I eat something low-GI with the same net carbs.

on Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:49:43 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A study would be nice.
>
>IMHO: The concept of Glycemic Load makes GI irrelevant. If the carbs are
>very low, the glycemic load is low, and it doesn't matter what the GI is.
>In other words, I don't worry about eating even pure sugar, if the quantity
>is small.

-----
Bev

Eating low carb foods is not that hard to figure out. There's no need for a
study, there's only a need for some critical thinking skills on your part.

--
Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW