Low cost SPD pedals/shoes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Graeme Dods, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    My wife has had some knee problems over the last year or so and from feedback from various sources
    (osteopath, physio, me looking at her pedalling style) we've decided that a set of SPD pedals &
    shoes will probably improve matters. She's keen not to spend too much money, so does anyone have any
    recommendations on pedals/shoes and/or places to buy them?

    Thanks,

    Graeme

    Tags:

  2. On 24 Mar 2003 04:42:34 -0800, [email protected] (Graeme Dods) in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >probably improve matters. She's keen not to spend too much money, so does anyone have any
    >recommendations on pedals/shoes and/or places to buy them?

    www.mikedyason.com for shoes which are reasonably priced, and are SPD compatible.

    I can't comment on any particular design tho 'cos I don't use SPDs any longer.

    Love and toeclips from Rich xx

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife has had some knee problems over the last year or so and from feedback from various sources
    > (osteopath, physio, me looking at her pedalling style) we've decided that a set of SPD pedals &
    > shoes will probably improve matters. She's keen not to spend too much money, so does anyone have
    > any recommendations on pedals/shoes and/or places to buy them?

    Edinburgh had some cheap spd compatible pedals a while back. Don't know about shoes.

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My wife has had some knee problems over the last year or so and from feedback from various sources
    > (osteopath, physio, me looking at her pedalling style) we've decided that a set of SPD pedals &
    > shoes will probably improve matters. She's keen not to spend too much money, so does anyone have
    > any recommendations on pedals/shoes and/or places to buy them?

    Not sure the twisting out of the pedals will help knee problems ... why not try some toe clips first
    ... I sold some SPDs a while back that had SPD one side and pedal the other. Shimano Pedals -
    PD-M515 and SM-PD21. (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2077265069)

  5. A Lee

    A Lee Guest

    Graeme Dods <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My wife has had some knee problems over the last year or so and from feedback from various sources
    > (osteopath, physio, me looking at her pedalling style) we've decided that a set of SPD pedals &
    > shoes will probably improve matters. She's keen not to spend too much money, so does anyone have
    > any recommendations on pedals/shoes and/or places to buy them?

    J.E.James cycle shop have a lot of Adidas shoes on sale for half price at the mo.I got some lovely
    shoes for £35. www.jejames.co.uk possibly. They did have some from £10, up to £40.

    If you want some Time ATAC pedals, I may have some for sale - £25 inc cleats and post.

    Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  6. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:50:13 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Edinburgh had some cheap spd compatible pedals a while back. Don't know about shoes.

    If you mean the FPD brand then I'd recommend giving them a very wide berth indeed. Bought a pair
    from EBC in January and was deeply disappointed with them.

    Quality seemed poor (even considering the low price) and they aren't entirely SPD compatible. Yes, I
    could (just!) get them to work OK with Shimano cleats, but they need a completely different tension
    setting than when using the FPD ones. To use them I'd have to break out the allen keys each time I
    jumped on the bike to adjust for the shoes I was wearing at the time. After a fortnights use they
    have been consigned to the cupboard which is where they'll probably stay forever more.

    For cheap SPD's I think the best choice would be Shimano 515s.

    http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/PDM515_SPD_Pedals_169.asp

    Less than 20 quid including delivery. I've had a pair for a while and they are excellent for the
    money, do just what they should.

    Bob

  7. >J.E.James cycle shop have a lot of Adidas shoes on sale for half price at the mo.I got some lovely
    > shoes for £35. www.jejames.co.uk possibly.

    I think it's

    www.jejamescycles.co.uk

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    <snip>
    > For cheap SPD's I think the best choice would be Shimano 515s.
    >
    > http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/PDM515_SPD_Pedals_169.asp
    >
    > Less than 20 quid including delivery. I've had a pair for a while and they are excellent for the
    > money, do just what they should.

    I've got a pair of these & they're great. £20 is a good price too. I paid around £26 from Chain
    reaction cycles. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Default.asp

    I bought Sidi shoes which have been good too. I had difficulty finding my size a not abnormal 11 but
    I needed a 47.

    If your wife has smaller feet she may find some bargin shoes on Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    > Bob
    > --
    > Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

  9. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 24 Mar 2003 04:42:34 -0800, Graeme Dods <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My wife has had some knee problems over the last year or so and from feedback from various
    > sources (osteopath, physio, me looking at her pedalling style) we've decided that a set of SPD
    > pedals & shoes will probably improve matters.

    Genuine SPDs generally make knee problems worse. Some of the alternatives are better. ATAC have a
    particularly good reputation, and my own knee problems (skeletal deformity -> knee joint doesn't
    work as designed -> pain) were greatly reduced when I went from toeclips to ATAC, having been
    previously made worse when I tried to go from toeclips to SPD.

    Other people have said similar to me.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  10. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Not sure the twisting out of the pedals will help knee problems ...

    That was my concern at first, then I realised that I generally have my own SPDs set so loose that
    the rotational force required to release is minimal.

    > why not try some toe clips first

    She has those already and I think they make matters worse. She has a "patellofemoral" problem,
    basically the knee cap is not in the groove in the base of the femur as it should be, it's to the
    outside, sliding over non-lubricated bone. She is slightly knock-kneed and toe clips allow her to
    point her feet inwards too easily. When I cycle behind her shouting "foot forward, knee straight
    ahead!" then the pain goes (not because I shout, but because she puts her leg in the right
    position:) The idea is that it is easier to set a "minimum pointy in angle" on an SPD but still
    have a few degrees of float compared to a toe clip. Plus she tends not to put her foot fully into
    toe clips so she pedals from near the base of her toes rather then slightly further back so she's
    putting more strain on her knee/feet/etc..

    We've been taping the knee to move the patella over. This works well for walking but cycling
    requires more flexibility than our current taping method allows.

    ... I sold some SPDs a while back
    > that had SPD one side and pedal the other. Shimano Pedals - PD-M515 and SM-PD21.
    > (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2077265069)

    I'd considered pedals like that, but I found out last night that my brother in law is buying a new
    bike (my relatives seem to buy new bikes every couple of years, have they not heard of maintenance
    ;-) His old bike has SPDs so we'll try to use them for a few rides to see if they help matters.
    We'll still need to buy some shoes, but SPD capable shoes make good cycling shoes even without the
    cleats (a damn sight better than my wife's ubiquitous trainers!).

    Thanks,

    Graeme

  11. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    > >J.E.James cycle shop have a lot of Adidas shoes on sale for half price at the mo.I got some
    > > lovely shoes for £35. www.jejames.co.uk possibly.
    >
    > I think it's
    >
    > www.jejamescycles.co.uk

    Damn, why have I got such big feet. No size 12's in any of the type I like. Or in any shoe for
    that matter.

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Graeme <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > We've been taping the knee to move the patella over. This works well for walking but cycling
    > requires more flexibility than our current taping method allows.

    Using shorter cranks would decrease the degree of flexing of the knee and might help. Depending on
    her leg length and current crank size they might be a good idea even without a knee problem. Have a
    look at the following web pages, for example: http://www.cranklength.info/ and
    http://www.nettally.com/palmk/Crankset.html .

    --
    Dave...

  13. [email protected] (A Lee) wrote in message
    news:<1fsc6gh.462qq81i4gzcwN%[email protected]>...

    > If you want some Time ATAC pedals, I may have some for sale - £25 inc cleats and post.

    Good suggestion - I'm a great fan of ATACs. As far as shoes go, Lake MX100s are a good, low-price
    leisure shoe, compatible with SPD and ATAC systems, or indeed non-clipless systems (the sole has a
    panel to cut out with a Stanley/craft knife if you need cleats for clipless), and are very
    well-suited to walking when off the bike - I've worn mine for an evening down the pub before now
    [1]! I got mine in a Geoffrey Butler winter sale for just eleven quid (!) a couple of years back.
    Any downsides? Well, they're lace-up, and the nice stripey laces provided are a wee bit too long -
    snagged my R/H one on the chainset.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Only if riding to the pub, obviously - my usual choice of DMs aren't ATAC-compatible!

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:17:39 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not sure the twisting out of the pedals will help knee problems ... why not try some toe clips
    >first ...

    I'd disagree with this, Elyob. With toe clips your feet are forced to point straight ahead whereas
    with SPDs you have a certain amout of float.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  15. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Using shorter cranks would decrease the degree of flexing of the knee and might help. Depending on
    > her leg length and current crank size they might be a good idea even without a knee problem. Have
    > a look at the following web pages, for example: http://www.cranklength.info/ and
    > http://www.nettally.com/palmk/Crankset.html .

    Okay, this makes perfect sense as one of the things I also noticed was the excessive range of
    up/down movement in her knees. I must admit that I'd just assumed the cranks would be of a roughly
    correct size when we bought it but reading the above web sites her cranks are way too long.

    So the question now is, where can I get reasonably priced 165mm long 3 ring cranks? Wiggle, Mike
    Dyason, EBC etc don't seem to have anything.

    Thanks,

    Graeme

  16. In message <[email protected]>, Graeme Dods
    <[email protected]> writes

    The www.cranklength.info page contained a link to these people.
    http://www.argonet.co.uk/highpath/cycle.htm
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  17. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Hi Folks

    I recently swapped the standard (Ritchey, 175mm) cranks on my Specialized. Being 5'9" but with the
    vaguely typical long body/short legs combo us blokes tend to have, I went for 165mm cranks, fitting
    a TA Zephyr chainset. I got this from Spa Cycles in Harrogate, who do mail order. Not exactly
    bargain-basement (about £150 by the time they'd swapped the rings for the size I wanted), plus it
    needed a longer bottom bracket, but lovely quality.

    Best wishes Phil Bixby York UK

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Graeme Dods
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Using shorter cranks would decrease the degree of flexing of the knee and might help. Depending
    > >> on her leg length and current crank size they might be a good idea even without a knee problem.
    > >> Have a look at the following web pages, for example: http://www.cranklength.info/ and
    > >> http://www.nettally.com/palmk/Crankset.html .
    > >
    > >Okay, this makes perfect sense as one of the things I also noticed was the excessive range
    > >of up/down movement in her knees. I must admit that I'd just assumed the cranks would be of
    > >a roughly correct size when we bought it but reading the above web sites her cranks are way
    > >too long.
    > >
    > >So the question now is, where can I get reasonably priced 165mm long 3 ring cranks? Wiggle, Mike
    > >Dyason, EBC etc don't seem to have anything.
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Graeme
    >
    > The www.cranklength.info page contained a link to these people.
    > http://www.argonet.co.uk/highpath/cycle.htm
    > --
    > Michael MacClancy

  18. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Using shorter cranks would decrease the degree of flexing of the knee and might help. Depending
    > > on her leg length and current crank size they might be a good idea even without a knee problem.
    > > Have a look at the following web pages, for example: http://www.cranklength.info/ and
    > > http://www.nettally.com/palmk/Crankset.html .
    >
    > Okay, this makes perfect sense as one of the things I also noticed was the excessive range of
    > up/down movement in her knees. I must admit that I'd just assumed the cranks would be of a roughly
    > correct size when we bought it but reading the above web sites her cranks are way too long.
    >
    > So the question now is, where can I get reasonably priced 165mm long 3 ring cranks? Wiggle, Mike
    > Dyason, EBC etc don't seem to have anything.

    Try Spa Cycles in Harrogate (use directory enquiries to find the number, doubt there is a website).
    They had a triple in 160mm for around £33 a couple of years back. Might have been Stronglight brand.

    If that fails, possible an Orbit dealer might be able to help you as Orbit ship the Mercury with
    shorter cranks. And I expect that St John's Cycles will have something (possibly at a fairly
    high price).

    You'll find the choice at lower prices is limited and will have to take what's around. At the top
    end (£100 and up) there is a wider selection.

    - NC

  19. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On 28 Mar 2003 05:25:15 -0800, [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote:

    >So the question now is, where can I get reasonably priced 165mm long 3 ring cranks? Wiggle, Mike
    >Dyason, EBC etc don't seem to have anything.

    I thought the bandits of Bridgewater (1) had some thing like this? Not too sure about the reasonably
    priced bit though.

    Tim

    (1) St John St Cycles.

  20. Markyp

    Markyp Guest

    [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Using shorter cranks would decrease the degree of flexing of the knee and might help. Depending
    > > on her leg length and current crank size they might be a good idea even without a knee problem.
    > > Have a look at the following web pages, for example: http://www.cranklength.info/ and
    > > http://www.nettally.com/palmk/Crankset.html .
    >
    > Okay, this makes perfect sense as one of the things I also noticed was the excessive range of
    > up/down movement in her knees. I must admit that I'd just assumed the cranks would be of a roughly
    > correct size when we bought it but reading the above web sites her cranks are way too long.
    >
    > So the question now is, where can I get reasonably priced 165mm long 3 ring cranks? Wiggle, Mike
    > Dyason, EBC etc don't seem to have anything.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Graeme

    Graeme

    Shimano do a road triple (30-40-50) and the prices aren't too bad (ultegra =approx £87). I got mine
    from Deeside Cycles.....

    Hunt around and you may manage to locate a Shimano XT mountain bike chainset (22-32-42)...bit
    rare though!

    I think St John Street Cycles are still doing the Sugio PX chainset (26-38-48); same rings as TA
    Cyclotourist .....£69. I've been using one on my touring bike for about 6 years now.....

    good luck!

    MarkyP MK, UK