Low drop road stem

Tech72

Nov 29, 2003
I've been looking at various brands and models of road stem to find the one with the lowest drop. Since there is no industry measuring standard, trying to decipher the manufacturer's posted specs is confusing. Some use the steerer column angle as the reference point. Others use the rise from horizontal and/or vertical, etc. I'm getting a headache trying to cross reference all the various specs.

So my question is; what is the road stem with the lowest or greatest amount of drop without having to go with a track stem or an adjustable angle stem? I'm looking for a stem that in essence, points downwards, not rise above the horizontal line. For reference, the head tube angle on my frame is 73 degrees and I'm looking for a 11cm length stem. The stem must be a threadless type with a steerer tube diameter of 1-1/8" and the handlebar clamp diameter of 31.8mm. Preferred brands are (in no particular order): FSA, Cinelli, 3T, Ritchey, ITM, Deda, ZIPP.

I've searched the forum but have had no luck finding the information I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Well, 17° (or 73°) would leave you with a horizontal stem. I can't help you with a specific stem, though.

Horizontal is a good start. But are there any particular road stem that would actually point downwards below the horizontal line, given my frame's head tube angle? Basically, I've already removed all spacers on the headtube and with my current stem/bar combo(FSA K-Force stem and handlebar), the handlebar is still positioned slightly too high for my liking. I'm looking to have the handlebar go slightly lower than the current position by using a more agressively downward pointing stem.

Track stems and adjustment stems will get my handlebar where I want it but I'd rather not use them, unless I can't find a comparable road stem.

Tech72 said:
Horizontal is a good start. But are there any particular road stem that would actually point downwards below the horizontal line, given my frame's head tube angle? Basically, I've already removed all spacers on the headtube and with my current stem/bar combo(FSA K-Force stem and handlebar), the handlebar is still positioned slightly too high for my liking. I'm looking to have the handlebar go slightly lower than the current position by using a more agressively downward pointing stem.

Track stems and adjustment stems will get my handlebar where I want it but I'd rather not use them, unless I can't find a comparable road stem.

Hmmm. Cadel Evans had the same problems with his bike when he rode for Silence Lotto, and he had a stem that pointed down.

You might Pro (A Shimano brand. Well respected.) and Specialized. Also you could try posting your question over at Weight Weenies. They're pretty equipment intensive over there.

easy fix... many stems work in either position (pointing up or pointing down)
they are build for that purpose with their brand name written up/down on the side

vspa said:
easy fix...
No, not so easy, there are very few stems that drop more than the 17 degrees the OP needs to get his bars below horizontal.

I've got the same situation on my TT bike and the best I've found in fixed stems are the Profile Designs Aris(+/- 25), the Cinelli Pista(+/- 25) or if you need even more the Ritchey 30 degree stem flipped(I haven't actually seen one of these so you should double check that it can be flipped without problems). I haven't been able to find any fixed stems with more than 17 degrees but less than 25 degrees of drop yet. Twenty degrees of stem drop would be about perfect on my TT bike. In adjustables the Oval Concepts R710 seems to be the best value.

I haven't found exactly what I'm after in a drop stem yet, but I'm still lookin'...
-Dave

Tech72 said:
I've been looking at various brands and models of road stem to find the one with the lowest drop. Since there is no industry measuring standard, trying to decipher the manufacturer's posted specs is confusing. Some use the steerer column angle as the reference point. Others use the rise from horizontal and/or vertical, etc. I'm getting a headache trying to cross reference all the various specs.

So my question is; what is the road stem with the lowest or greatest amount of drop without having to go with a track stem or an adjustable angle stem? I'm looking for a stem that in essence, points downwards, not rise above the horizontal line. For reference, the head tube angle on my frame is 73 degrees and I'm looking for a 11cm length stem. The stem must be a threadless type with a steerer tube diameter of 1-1/8" and the handlebar clamp diameter of 31.8mm. Preferred brands are (in no particular order): FSA, Cinelli, 3T, Ritchey, ITM, Deda, ZIPP.

I've searched the forum but have had no luck finding the information I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.
Inverting a 'Hi-Rise' MTB stem will give you a significantly lower drop than a typical ROAD stem ...

I "lent" my Hi-Rise stem to someone a few years ago, but I reckon the angle is about -30º from the horizontal when it is inverted ... maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

I recall the effective length is only about 90mm when it is mounted in the normal position ... the effective length will be slightly longer when a Hi-Rise stem is inverted, but I don't know how much longer.

You can find them at any REI if your LBS doesn't have any in stock.

You could always get a Look Ergostem...
... but with that it'd be recommended that you get an torque wrench.

You might check to see what Oval Concepts has to offer. Here is a pic of Cadel Evans on his Silence Lotto bike, and as you can see, his stem drops below horizontal (is >17°). It appears to be an Oval stem.

ce_rh_complete_bike.jpg

I have already removed all spacers on the headtube and with my current stem/bar combo(FSA K-Force stem and handlebar), the handlebar is still positioned slightly too high for my liking. I am looking to have the handlebar go slightly lower than the current position by using a more agressively downward pointing stem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I followed up on them and agree that inverting a high-rise mountain bike stem would give me the downward stem angle that I want. But installing such a stem on my carbon Eddy Merckx frame would drive me crazy every time I looked at it. An adjustable stem would also work but the look and the weight will ruin it for me as well. Hey, I realize it's somewhat vain but having spent a bucket of cash on my dream frameset, I just have some particular ideas for the machine.

Flipping my current FSA K-Force stem as someone suggested is not an option because it is already in the lowest position. Flipping it will actually put the bar higher. Getting a track stem would work as well but it's next to impossible to find a "pista" stem in my neck of the woods. I don't see many track stems with online sellers either.

Searching further, I've narrowed it down to a few road specific stems that have the measurements I want. Most road stems (ie FSA/3T/Ritchey) are 84 deg rise and would put the stem horizontal on a 73 deg head tube. But PRO (Shimano owned), Oval Concepts and Thomson road stems are more aggresive at 80deg rise and will give me the downward slope to set the handlebar lower at the 11cm stem length. I've checked out the PRO stems at the LBS and will be getting one this week. The question now is to get the aluminum PRO Vibe 7S (very nice...) or the PRO Vibe Carbon (drool...) at 2.5 times the price.....

Thanks all.

You need to double check your numbers. A stem with 6° of rise will not be horizontal when flipped down. Instead it will point up 11° from horizontal. A 17° stem will be horizontal when flipped down.

Tech72 said:
The question now is to get the aluminum PRO Vibe 7S (very nice...) or the PRO Vibe Carbon (drool...) at 2.5 times the price.....

The graphics on that stem pictured seem a little too "manly" for my tastes. I don't think I'd want to stare at that for 10 hrs/wk.

alienator said:
You need to double check your numbers. A stem with 6° of rise will not be horizontal when flipped down. Instead it will point up 11° from horizontal. A 17° stem will be horizontal when flipped down.

Yep, there's a lot wrong with that post. The Specialized pro-set stem comes in -17 (ie, horizontal) and with the -4deg shim it'll put it at -21 deg. Also comes in carbon.

That only drops the bars a cm from the horizontal, which seems like much ado about nothing.

Tech72 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I followed up on them and agree that inverting a high-rise mountain bike stem would give me the downward stem angle that I want. But installing such a stem on my carbon Eddy Merckx frame would drive me crazy every time I looked at it. An adjustable stem would also work but the look and the weight will ruin it for me as well. Hey, I realize it's somewhat vain but having spent a bucket of cash on my dream frameset, I just have some particular ideas for the machine.
Paint it with some FLAT BLACK paint.

Not all spray paint is equal ... and, the best paint for the forementioned project is the CHEAP, flat black paint which WalMart sells for about a dollar per rattle can ...

Buy a can of the spray paint AND test it on a clean metal surface ... no priming other than to fill in small imperfections which will be sanded down -- preferably an "old" bike part like a chainring so you can test the durability.

I think that you will be amazed by how durable the particular paint finish is.

Krylon may-or-may-not be as durable ... Krylon will provide more color choices if Flat Black or Flat White aren't suitable stem colors for your bike.

frenchyge said:
Yep, there's a lot wrong with that post. The Specialized pro-set stem comes in -17 (ie, horizontal) and with the -4deg shim it'll put it at -21 deg. Also comes in carbon.

That only drops the bars a cm from the horizontal, which seems like much ado about nothing.

Yup. That's why I mentioned the Specialized stems. Having 4 rises in one stem beats the pants off traditional adjustable stems.