Low End Wheelsets

G

I currently run Mavic Open Pros with 105 hubs and bouble butted (probabaly Sapin) spokes (36, 3 cross). I know this makes a pretty sturdy wheel, but am looking for something lighter and if possible, more aerodynamic. Since I want to keep things cheap as much as possible, I am looking at the Mavic Cosmos or the Shimano R535 wheelset. How do these compare to the Ksyrium? The Ks have a pretty steep price though. Any opinions on the wheelsets mentioned above would be appreciated. :D

Hmmm, or should I just keep my OPs? ???

I've also contemplated lighter wheels. The problem is that, if you are on a tight budget, training AND racing with them becomes risky in my opinion. I would keep the current OP's for training and maybe get myself a nice pair just for racing.

The problem with my OPs is that they're not nice enough. I'm looking for a dual purpose wheelset. Cheap enough to train on, but trick enough to make my bike look fast.

Before you guys flame me, I know the most important 'change' should be the rider. But hey, who doesn't want a trick wheelset?

The OPs do their job well, but they don't do it in style. I want style baby! yeah!

Before you guys flame me, I know the most important 'change' should be the rider. But hey, who doesn't want a trick wheelset?

These are quite trick, yet really cheap;
http://www.shimanocycling.com/Wheels/road/index.asp Scroll down to the WH-R535 Road Wheels

I brought pair today, gonna use 'em for training and club racing (when i'm fit enough)  :)

cheers!

Am actually considering getting a set just like yours, but am a bit doubtful about its durability. Also, its listed weight is much heavier than my currrent OP/105. However, the aero benefit may outweigh this. Have you gone for a ride with your new wheels? How did they compare to your old wheels?

Would liek to know more about their performance ;D

I'll let you know what they are like once i pick them up, only ordered and payed for 'em yesterday. I'm hoping they come in this arvo ;D

They should be quite strong, the only think that worries me is truing the wheel. With so few spokes it could be hard to get it nice and straight.

cheers!

im thinking of geting another wheel set as mine are not to fancy and dont look that cool :) any recomondations? also what are the mavic kyrysums like? and whats there price?

I've heard that Ksyriums are very tough wheels, and quite aero too. Well worth you rmoney they say. Ksyrium is Mavic's best (in my view anyway) wheelset. Here in teh Philippines, they are said to cost around P27,000, which is around $540 per pair.

BTW Nic, what are your current wheels and how are they laced?

Would liek to know more about their performance  ;D

I went out on them for a couple of hours yesterday morning, IMO they are quite good wheels for their price. They are nothing special, just a good alround wheel that can be used for training or club racing etc... They feel alot better than my old campag shamals (indurian once used shamals)

If I only had 500AUD to spend on wheels i'd buy 'em again ;D

BTW they look very cool 8)

cheers!

The Wheels i have now altweg are Mavic opens, shimano 105
how are they laced i dont kow ;D , there is a pic of them on my bike in the 'Your Bike' threed

Nicholas: Hey, we use the same wheels! Pretty good set huh? Too bad they don't make the bike look fast! guess it's all up to us...until we can get a set of Ks.

Admin: How did the wheel hold up on potholes? I have heard that they easily get out of true...is this true?

I imagine they'd be very hard to true, any wheel with only 16 spokes will be like this though.

Mavics will be 100% better if you have the money and a once a week racing wheel ;)

cheers!

Originally posted by Guest
I've heard that Ksyriums are very tough wheels, and quite aero too. Well worth you rmoney they say. Ksyrium is Mavic's best (in my view anyway) wheelset. Here in teh Philippines, they are said to cost around P27,000, which is around $540 per pair.

BTW Nic, what are your current wheels and how are they laced?

Ksryiums are wonderful wheels, but either I had a fluke or they really are not made for somebody in the 195 lb. range. I actually cracked the wheels around 2500 miles. Stick with OP's and quit worry about what you look like...if you want to be fast...train harder :)

I've been riding a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for the past two years. They're as aero as a wheel can get (short of a disc), fairly light, and extremely strong. I now have two sets, neither has ever needed truing, both have taken some pretty good licks at one time or another. They can be had on ebay in the $300-350 range.

Oh, and they're VERY LOW spoke count. 14 spokes front, 16 rear, and bladed spokes. Spokes are paired very closely together, which was Rolf Dieter's invention. Definitely cool looking.

Disadvantages of the Vector Pros: very stiff ride. Spokes are expensive and hard to find, and the LBS has to do the truing, takes special wrenches. Freehub is noisy, if that bothers you.

Avoid the Vector Comp wheels, they're not in the same league.

you might consider having a set of wheels built up for you. if you know a good wheel builder.

consider mavic cxp33 rims (or open pros) with chris king hubs. depending on your weight, you might get by with 28 spoke 3x wheels. or you might have to go 32 spoke. the chris king hubs are expensive, but arguably the best available (5 year guarantee) and will weigh over 0.25 pound lighter than your 105 hubs.

mavic rims with chris king hubs built 3x with standard double-butted 14/15 spokes will be bombproof, and if you break a spoke out in the middle of no-where, any bike shop can replace it. break a ksyrium spoke and try and find one in smalltown, anywhere.

Originally posted by JohnO
I've been riding a set of Rolf Vector Pro's for the past two years. They're as aero as a wheel can get (short of a disc), fairly light, and extremely strong. I now have two sets, neither has ever needed truing, both have taken some pretty good licks at one time or another. They can be had on ebay in the $300-350 range.

Oh, and they're VERY LOW spoke count. 14 spokes front, 16 rear, and bladed spokes. Spokes are paired very closely together, which was Rolf Dieter's invention. Definitely cool looking.

Disadvantages of the Vector Pros: very stiff ride. Spokes are expensive and hard to find, and the LBS has to do the truing, takes special wrenches. Freehub is noisy, if that bothers you.

Avoid the Vector Comp wheels, they're not in the same league.

Boy are you misinformed. Maybe you noticed that the Bontragers that the USPS guys are using look an awful lot like Rolf Vector Comps. That's because the Vector Comps were MUCH more aero than the Pro's, confirmed by none other than John Cobb, Lance Armstrong's aerodynamicist who also helped Trek design the TT frame. The "paired spokeing" actually creates more drag than the Comp design. The one advantage of the Pros is the they weighed less. Even Shimano is getting away from the paired spoke wheel with their 2004 wheels.