low energy in first miles

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by CannonChick, Aug 16, 2004.

1. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

Hi.

When I go for a ride in the morning, I really feel a lack of energy in the first mile or two. I don't eat before hand, just a glass of nonfat milk. I'm fine after the first couple of miles. If I get hungry, I eat a cliff bar or something along those lines.
    I don't know if this is normal, or if it's from something I'm eating, not eating, etc.Any ideas?

Tags:

2. gruppo

gruppo New Member

It doesn't sound like are doing any warmup before riding. If that is the case, then that first mile or two are acting as a warmup to get the blood flowing and the muscles warmed up.

5-10 minutes of warmup are recommended before riding. Of course, I don't think riding on an empty stomach is a good idea either, but that is probably not the cause of your problem.

3. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

Ah... You're right, I'm not warming up before the ride. What is a recommended warm up?
    I'll try eating before I go on the next ride too. I'm never hungry early in the morning but it might make for a better ride if I eat more.
    Thanks for the info!

4. gruppo

gruppo New Member

Warmup depends on the individual but 5-10 minutes generally works for me. A lot of people recommend 20 minutes if you are warming up for a more strenuous ride or an event. Experiment and see what works for you. If you have a treadmill or some other aerobic equipment, you could always warmup on that before riding if it more convenient.

Regarding eating, the important thing is to get some carbs (fuel) into you system. A breakfast or cereal bar would probably help, but if you really don't feel like eating, a sports drink that has some carbs would also work, or even a glass of orange juice has about 26g of carbs, so there are lots of options.

With a little warmup and a bit of fuel to get you going, I'm sure you will find your rides much more enjoyable and productive.

Good luck.

5. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

I'd agree that diet could be a component, you really should slam down some carbs before that ride.

6. zapper

zapper Banned

I ride in the a.m as well. I prefer riding on an empty stomach but then again, I usually only have time for 12-20 miles. I warm up for the first couple of miles around the neighborhood then I take off. I carry in my waterbottle a mix of 1/5 O.J. with my water and that works for me.

7. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

Thanks for the help... I'll try it.
    I'm very excited to see how my next ride turns out!
    :)

8. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

My favorite is to make some oatmeal in the AM before a ride. It has 25gm carbs per 1/2 cup if it's flavored - I usually eat a cup right as I get up before I get ready so it has time to digest.

I really, really hate eating in the mornings and always have - BUT over time I learned what I can eat in the morning to get me going. I've been eating a TON of fruit lately and along with oatmeal I have more than enough energy on the saddle and then at work all day. I like to mix in protein later in the day to help those muscles repair.

9. gruppo

gruppo New Member

ditto MaxPrime's comments about oatmeal & fruit -- not only is it a great source of carbs & fiber, but it is also heart healthy. If you study fitness and nutrition literature/books, you will always see oatmeal as part of an ideal breakfast for athletes.

10. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

I also wanted to add that you can mix in other things to fit your diet. I tend to be very protein deficient because I enjoy fruits and pasta so much so I have a boiled egg (no yoke) or two to make sure my body can replinish those damaged muscles.

If you control your diet, you'll learn to listen to your body in what it needs. Make sure you keep those really good carbs in your system - they are what make your rides possible.

11. MaxPrime

MaxPrime New Member

To add - I wanted to ditto gruppo's heart comment. Those foods are VERY heart healthy - with diets like Atkins around, I really try to stress heart health. When that sucker is beating 180 times per minute as you sprint that last mile, you want it in tip-top shape. :)

12. tanggoman

tanggoman New Member

I make sure I have time to eat breakfast before a ride, at least 2-3 hours before a ride. I eat a variety which includes a cup of cereals with fat-free milk, a bagel, a banana and an egg.

13. closesupport

closesupport Banned

the body takes some 5 to 10 minutes to reach a steady state at which carbs glycogen and fats are converted into energy. once your body reaches a steady state then energy is provided at a rate at which to continue its workout, the body will try its hardest to provide equal amounts of energy to energy that is required once the balance is made then the exercise seems to become easier, its not its just your body adjsting to the requirements.

thats why a warm up is required not only that a warm down is also required, the warm down will allow you to remove some of the lactic acid that has built up in the muscles not only that fats that are stored in and around that muscle will be used to help aid the recovery period.