Low friction brake cables and or housing

Sometimes good stuff disappears from the market.

Do sellers or veterans have some favorite cable or housing
constructions that are or were favorites but are no longer widely
available? Including stuff your own shop still sells.

I've sworn off coated cables because blemishes from nicks or abrasions
don't heal and become catastrophic failures. Same for teflon-
equivalent housing liners?

Harry Travis
Washington, DC USA

On Jun 15, 1:03 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 07:24:57 -0700 (PDT), "[email protected]"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > >I've sworn off coated cables because blemishes from nicks or
> > >abrasions don't heal and become catastrophic failures.

> > What?

> Good question.

I've tried two different Kynar or equivalent coated cables, some of
them from Jagwire, which are yellow. While they initially allow the
brake calipers to return to the open position more quickly, friction
increased over time, until the system failed.

I removed the cables and found small tears in the tough coating which
piled up inside the housing as it was stripped from the cable.

I expect this **** to fail in the marketplace when it is no longer
supported by advertising. My question was about stuff in shops which
shops may be happy with, but which doesn't have Jagwire's marketing or
Gore's and Nokon's profit margins and hi-zoot panache.

On Jun 15, 11:40 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 15, 1:03 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > What?

> > Good question.

> I've tried two different Kynar or equivalent coated cables, some of
> them from Jagwire, which are yellow.  While they initially allow the
> brake calipers to return to the open position more quickly, friction
> increased over time, until the system failed.
>
>  I removed the cables and found small tears in the tough coating which
> piled up inside the housing as it was stripped from the cable.
>
> I expect this **** to fail in the marketplace when it is no longer
> supported by advertising. My question was about stuff in shops which
> shops may be happy with, but which doesn't have Jagwire's marketing or
> Gore's and Nokon's profit margins and hi-zoot panache.

Not much marketing I see about Jagwire. Good stuff, not expensive,
what inner wires and housing should be. First and cheapest thing to
change when shifting goes south.

> Not much marketing I see about Jagwire. Good stuff, not expensive,
> what inner wires and housing should be. First and cheapest thing to
> change when shifting goes south.

You have to think about this - complaining about shifting wires that cost a
pittance and last for years. What ever have people been thinking?

On Jun 16, 8:17 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 15, 11:40 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 15, 1:03 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Good question.

> > I've tried two different Kynar or equivalent coated cables, some of
> > them from Jagwire, which are yellow. While they initially allow the
> > brake calipers to return to the open position more quickly, friction
> > increased over time, until the system failed.

> > I removed the cables and found small tears in the tough coating which
> > piled up inside the housing as it was stripped from the cable.

> > I expect this **** to fail in the marketplace when it is no longer
> > supported by advertising. My question was about stuff in shops which
> > shops may be happy with, but which doesn't have Jagwire's marketing or
> > Gore's and Nokon's profit margins and hi-zoot panache.

> Not much marketing I see about Jagwire. Good stuff, not expensive,
> what inner wires and housing should be. First and cheapest thing to
> change when shifting goes south.

Years would be nice. Less than 50 miles was not acceptable for bikes
that got "interrupter" AKA cyclocross levers.

Read the initial inquiry. No complaint about the shop that charged
handsomely for labor to install the coated jagwires.
I asked for preferences of experienced folks. Could be particular
brands, uncoated housings, particular coating inside the housing,
galvanized vs stainless. Whatever.

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> Years would be nice. Less than 50 miles was not acceptable for bikes
> that got "interrupter" AKA cyclocross levers.
>
> Read the initial inquiry. No complaint about the shop that charged
> handsomely for labor to install the coated jagwires.
> I asked for preferences of experienced folks. Could be particular
> brands, uncoated housings, particular coating inside the housing,
> galvanized vs stainless. Whatever.

Shimano cables are top of the line. Why bother with anything else?

The OP is talking about Kynar (polyvinylidene fluoride) coated cables
peeling and seizing up in cyclocross cross top levers. Jagwire has
specially formed ferules for coated cables, so perhaps it is an
installation problem. Since even coated cables are pretty cheap, I'd
take it back to the shop that installed them.

I love my orange Jagwire housing setup...

JG

"JG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> The OP is talking about Kynar (polyvinylidene fluoride) coated cables
> peeling and seizing up in cyclocross cross top levers. Jagwire has
> specially formed ferules for coated cables, so perhaps it is an
> installation problem. Since even coated cables are pretty cheap, I'd
> take it back to the shop that installed them.
>
> I love my orange Jagwire housing setup...

Does this stuff operate more smoothly with Jagwire? For instance, there's a
lot of spring in the long-run brake cables from just about anyone because of
the way the outer cable is made. Does the jagwire brake outer work with less
spring in the brake lever?

The (premium) Jagwire housing is linear steel wire, like shift
housing, held together with a Kevlar jacket. It does make for a
noticably more rigid rear brake, but I run with non-aero levers
anyway, so friction isn't really a problem.

JG

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

><[email protected]> wrote in message

[email protected]...

>> Years would be nice. Less than 50 miles was not acceptable for bikes
>> that got "interrupter" AKA cyclocross levers.
>>
>> Read the initial inquiry. No complaint about the shop that charged
>> handsomely for labor to install the coated jagwires.
>> I asked for preferences of experienced folks. Could be particular
>> brands, uncoated housings, particular coating inside the housing,
>> galvanized vs stainless. Whatever.

>Shimano cables are top of the line. Why bother with anything else?

I'd have to agree, go Shimano but shop around. I got a set of Dura-Ace
shifter and brake from Lickbike, I think $12 or $15 a set for each, well
worth it and I can't imagine other cables working better. An hour of fun
work and end of story.

On Jun 16, 8:13 pm, JG <[email protected]> wrote:
> The OP is talking about Kynar (polyvinylidene fluoride) coated cables
> peeling and seizing up in cyclocross cross top levers.  Jagwire has
> specially formed ferules for coated cables, so perhaps it is an
> installation problem.  Since even coated cables are pretty cheap, I'd
> take it back to the shop that installed them.
>
> I love my orange Jagwire housing setup...
>
> JG

We use 5mm Jagwire stuff and Wheels brass ferrules. Never had the
issues that the OP is referring to.