Low Fructose Fruits

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Brook Stevens, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. I have fructose sensitivity (gives me gas, bloating). It's not super severe
    but it's annoying. Ketchup and orange juice are favorites that I have had to
    give up. I don't want to cut out fruit altogether - that seems unhealthy.
    Are their low fructose fruits to eat?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    You might look at the data for blueberries.

    "Brook Stevens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BE4C99AC.25E1E%[email protected]

    > I have fructose sensitivity (gives me gas, bloating). It's not super

    severe
    > but it's annoying. Ketchup and orange juice are favorites that I have had

    > give up. I don't want to cut out fruit altogether - that seems unhealthy.
    > Are their low fructose fruits to eat?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Femme

    Femme Guest

    Some lower fructose fruits are:

    Apricots (10% sugars from fructose)
    Nectarines (18% sugars from fructose)
    Peaches (18% sugars from fructose)
    Tangerines (23% sugars from fructose)
    Cantaloupe (24% sugars from fructose)
    Oranges (24% sugars from fructose)
    Grapefruit (26% sugars from fructose)

  4. Femme on 3/3/05 wrote:

    > Apricots (10% sugars from fructose)
    > Nectarines (18% sugars from fructose)
    > Peaches (18% sugars from fructose)
    > Tangerines (23% sugars from fructose)
    > Cantaloupe (24% sugars from fructose)
    > Oranges (24% sugars from fructose)
    > Grapefruit (26% sugars from fructose)

    Thanks! May I ask where you found this list?

  5. Femme

    Femme Guest

    > Thanks! May I ask where you found this list?

    http://www.nutritiondata.com gives a breakdown of the sugars in
    different foods (along with vitamin and mineral content, etc.). I did
    the calculations from the numbers there to get a percentage.

  6. Snortley

    Snortley New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    Old thread, I know.

    Add mangoes to the list. About 16% fructose; most of the rest is sucrose, at least according to one study:

    http://ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/10113/32671/1/IND44226201.pdf

  7. goldrushdave

    goldrushdave New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2011
    Eat berries!!

    Atkins recommends them highly, and I believe calorie for calorie they are the best fruits for nutrition, and the richest in anti-oxidants!!

    blueberries, as mentioned, but also strawberries, raspberries, mulberries (hard to find in stores, but they grow great in hot climates), are great choices!

    I believe all are very low in fructose. Canteloupe is fairly low I believe, but you should check.

    Most of the atkins allowed fruits are low in sucrose, as high sucrose fruits are always higher in carbs. I think knowledge of low carb foods is great for athletes (not that we don't need carbs).

  8. yanna

    yanna New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2011
    I surf the net and I found out that among the lower-fructose fruits are pineapples, strawberries, blackberries, lemons, limes, rhubarb, avocado and bananas. Since bananas may lead to uncomfortable gas, however, you may need to eat them in moderation.

    Singapore Restaurants Reviews