Low-Glycemic Load Diet Facilitates Weight Loss in Overweight Adults with High Insulin Secretion

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Dec 9, 2005.

  1. http://www.docguide.com/news/conten...=FDE48C5AAAA580E785256BD5007E630B&lan=English

    When weight loss is the goal, most diets restrict calories. It is a
    relatively simple concept--a person can lose weight by taking in fewer
    calories than he or she expends. But does it matter where the calories
    come from? It might, according to findings from a small study published
    in the December 2005 issue of the medical journal Diabetes Care.

    Researchers at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on
    Aging at Tufts University discovered that a diet's overall "glycemic
    load" may be an important determinant of weight loss, but only for some
    people.

    Senior author Susan Roberts, PhD, director of the Energy Metabolism
    Laboratory at the Center says, "Our results suggest that in the future
    there may be a way to predict who will do best on a low glycemic load
    diet." The key, they have found, may be in knowing a person's level of
    insulin secretion.

    "Insulin is a hormone that is important in glucose (sugar) metabolism,"
    explains senior author Andrew Greenberg, MD, director of the Obesity
    and Metabolism Laboratory at the Center. "The regulation of body weight
    is, at least in part, influenced by how much insulin a person secretes
    person is to insulin's glucose-lowering effects."

    "In our study," says first author Anastassios Pittas, MD, assistant
    professor at Tufts University School of Medicine, "everyone lost some
    weight as a result of restricting calories, but people who had high
    levels of insulin secretion and ate a diet with a low glycemic load
    lost the most weight."

    As part of the ongoing Comprehensive Assessment of Long-term Effects of
    Reducing Intake of Energy (CALERIE) trial at Tufts, the authors studied
    32 healthy overweight adults on a reduced-calorie diet for 6 months.
    Half of the subjects were randomly assigned to a low glycemic load
    diet, and the other half followed a diet with a high glycemic load.

    "A food's glycemic load is a relative measure of how much carbohydrate
    is in the diet and how quickly that food is converted in the body to
    blood sugar. Foods with lower numbers typically have a greater
    proportion of protein and fat, which usually result in a smaller rise
    in blood glucose following a meal. Examples of low glycemic load foods
    include salads with oil and vinegar dressing, high fat granola cereal,
    and most fresh fruits and vegetables. Glycemic load may not be the
    'be-all, end-all' of weight-loss diets for everyone," says Roberts, who
    is also a professor at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and
    Policy at Tufts, "but it significantly enhanced weight loss in our
    high-insulin-secreting subjects."

    "Our findings may eventually have implications for individualizing
    weight-loss diets," says Roberts. "We need to confirm our results with
    further studies of larger groups of subjects first, but measuring
    insulin secretion might be a simple way to target dietary
    recommendations that help enhance successful weight loss." Greenberg,
    who is also an assistant professor at the Friedman School, notes that
    "only when we have completed these future studies can we determine
    whether these tests will be useful for making recommendations for the
    general public."

    Pittas AG, Das SK, Hajduk, CL, Golden J, Saltzman E, Stark PC,
    Greenberg AS, Roberts SB. Diabetes Care, (December) 2005; 28:
    2939-2941. "A Low-Glycemic Load Diet Facilitates Greater Weight Loss in
    Overweight Adults With High Insulin Secretion but Not in Overweight
    Adults With Low Insulin Secretion in the CALERIE Trial."

    Tags:

  2. In alt.support.diabetes [email protected] wrote:
> [...]

    > and most fresh fruits and vegetables. Glycemic load may not be the
    > 'be-all, end-all' of weight-loss diets for everyone," says Roberts, who
    > is also a professor at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and
    > Policy at Tufts, "but it significantly enhanced weight loss in our
    > high-insulin-secreting subjects."

    > "Our findings may eventually have implications for individualizing
    > weight-loss diets," says Roberts. "We need to confirm our results with
    > further studies of larger groups of subjects first, but measuring
    > insulin secretion might be a simple way to target dietary
    > recommendations that help enhance successful weight loss." Greenberg,
    > who is also an assistant professor at the Friedman School, notes that
    > "only when we have completed these future studies can we determine
    > whether these tests will be useful for making recommendations for the

    That's the artificial problem they're suffering from, that they want
    to be able to make recommendations to the general public. It may be
    the case that the nutritional biochemistry of the general public is
    too diverse for general recommendations to be safe enough for all.

    For diabetics, pre-diabetics, etc. there is a simple answer to this
    problem: get a BG meter and avoid the foods which spike your BG.

    Wait a minute! That involves allowing patients to make their own
    decisions about how to treat their illness! That's the beginning of a
    very slippery slope involving a very important matter of medical
    principle!

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]