low hdl

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Ivetriedhard, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Ivetriedhard

    Ivetriedhard Guest

    my lipid levels are: tot cholesterol 121; Triglycerides 114; LDL calculated
    72 and the loser HDL 26.

    A year ago my HDL was 36 - still a bit on the low side. since a year ago I have
    increased my exercise to a 3 mph hilly walk 6 - 7 days a week. I eat a
    relatively low fat diet. I have had paroxysmal AF which is controlled by the
    sotalol and lots of pacs from time to time which limits my alcohol intake.

    My cardiologist has suggested Niaspan. However I also suffer from gout and
    Myelodysplastic Syndrome which depresses bone marrow (anemia and low
    platelets). Possible side effects of Niaspan include gout and anemia.

    I feel between a rock and a hard place. Risk of further artery problems caused
    by low HDL vs possible gout and bone marrow problems with the Niaspan. Any
    thoughts?

    I take 20mg Zocor, 180 mg Diltiezem, 120 mg of Sotalol b.i.d., 300 mg
    allipurinol, 81 mg aspirin daily. resting bp generally runs 115/65. I also
    take folic acid, B6, B12 and a one a day vitamin.

    I have 4 stents in the LAD and one in the circumflex. the most recent stent in
    the LAD was deployed inside of another that had restenosed. both of these are
    the new sirolimus stents. I also have had brachytherapy on one of the other
    LAD stents whcih restenosed. My body doesnt seem to like these things but aside
    from the time off for all the plumbing work I feel fine and am very active.

    Tags:

  2. Ivetriedhard wrote:

    > my lipid levels are: tot cholesterol 121; Triglycerides 114; LDL calculated
    > 72 and the loser HDL 26.
    >
    > A year ago my HDL was 36 - still a bit on the low side. since a year ago I have
    > increased my exercise to a 3 mph hilly walk 6 - 7 days a week. I eat a
    > relatively low fat diet. I have had paroxysmal AF which is controlled by the
    > sotalol and lots of pacs from time to time which limits my alcohol intake.
    >
    > My cardiologist has suggested Niaspan. However I also suffer from gout and
    > Myelodysplastic Syndrome which depresses bone marrow (anemia and low
    > platelets). Possible side effects of Niaspan include gout and anemia.
    >
    > I feel between a rock and a hard place. Risk of further artery problems caused
    > by low HDL vs possible gout and bone marrow problems with the Niaspan. Any
    > thoughts?

    Sounds like you are in good hands even if your genes are bad.

    > I take 20mg Zocor, 180 mg Diltiezem, 120 mg of Sotalol b.i.d., 300 mg
    > allipurinol, 81 mg aspirin daily. resting bp generally runs 115/65. I also
    > take folic acid, B6, B12 and a one a day vitamin.
    >
    > I have 4 stents in the LAD and one in the circumflex. the most recent stent in
    > the LAD was deployed inside of another that had restenosed. both of these are
    > the new sirolimus stents. I also have had brachytherapy on one of the other
    > LAD stents whcih restenosed. My body doesnt seem to like these things but aside
    > from the time off for all the plumbing work I feel fine and am very active.

    What is your weight and height?

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Markthree

    Markthree Guest

    age 70, 175 pounds, 5'10"

  4. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    [email protected] (Ivetriedhard) wrote in part:

    >my lipid levels are: tot cholesterol 121; Triglycerides 114; LDL calculated
    >72 and the loser HDL 26.

    I have found that, while no one thing will boost my HDL substantially, a
    combination is very powerful and has produced a 100% increase while other
    lipoproteins have also improved. Things that can be combined include:

    Substitute dietary fat for carbohydrate, primarily monounsaturates and
    polyunsaturates from almonds, other nuts, and olive oil. Take fish oil
    supplements and/or DHA supplements and eat fatty fish. Exercise still more.
    Lose weight!

    The effect of combining such things can be very large.
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

  5. Markthree wrote:

    > age 70, 175 pounds, 5'10"

    Your ideal weight might be 150 lbs so you might be 25 lbs overweight.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --

  6. [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi, your weight is fine.

    Ahem, it probably isn't for someone with coronary disease. Perhaps
    you should look up past discussions about adiposity and hsCRP.

    Humbly,

    Andrew