low iron diet / skin cancer

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Doe, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Arch Toxicol. 2004 Mar 3 [Epub ahead of print] Links

    Low iron diet retards 12- O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate-
    mediated tumor promotion in murine skin.

    Bhasin G, Kauser H, Athar M.

    Department of Medical Elementology and Toxicology, Faculty
    of Science, Hamdard University, 110062, New Delhi, India.

    Recently, we have shown that low iron state reduces benzoyl
    peroxide-mediated tumor promotion in murine skin. To further
    test the dependence of iron on skin tumor development, we
    assessed the effect of a low iron diet on 12- O-
    tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate (TPA)-mediated tumor
    promotion in murine skin. Female Swiss albino mice were fed
    on a low iron diet and initiated with a single dose of 7,12-
    dimethylbenz[ a]anthracene (DMBA, 40 micro g as150 micro l
    per mouse) and promoted with TPA (2.5 micro g as 200 micro l
    per mouse, twice-weekly application for 20 weeks). The
    appearance of the first papilloma and the number of tumors
    (papillomas and carcinomas) per mouse were recorded weekly.
    We observed a decrease in tumor incidence (papillomas and
    carcinomas) and number of tumors per mouse in TPA-promoted
    mice fed on low iron diet (0.23 mg Fe/kg diet) compared to
    normal mice fed on balanced mouse chow (1.70 mg Fe/kg diet).
    The total iron consumption per day by mice being fed on
    balanced mouse chow was 340-400 micro g Fe/kg body weight,
    and the total iron consumption per day by mice being fed on
    low iron diet was 45-55 micro g Fe/kg body weight. The
    number of papillomas per mouse was 45% lower and the
    conversion of papillomas to carcinomas was about 20% lower
    in mice fed a low iron diet. The tumor size was also smaller
    in mice being fed on low iron diet. TPA treatment resulted
    in decreases in the activities of antioxidant enzymes and
    depletion in the level of epidermal reduced glutathione
    (GSH). Feeding mice on low iron diet along with TPA
    treatment resulted in ~50-75% recovery of the depleted
    levels of GSH and antioxidant enzymes. In addition, TPA-
    mediated induction of biological markers of tumor promotion,
    viz. ornithine decarboxylase activity and [(3)H]thymidine
    incorporation into cutaneous DNA, was about 60% lower in TPA-
    treated mice fed on low iron diet than in normal mice
    treated with TPA. Cutaneous iron levels were also lower in
    mice fed on low iron diet than in mice fed on normal diet.
    Histopathological sections of the skin portion adjoining
    tumors showed a lower degree of epidermal hyperplasia and
    lesser infiltration of inflammatory cells in the dermis, and
    absence of hyperkeratosis in mice fed on low iron diet.
    Thus, in this study we observe that the tumor promoting
    potential of TPA is reduced in mice fed on low iron diet,
    which is also accompanied by lesser inflammatory changes in
    the skin of tumor-bearing mice fed on low iron diet.

    PMID: 14997284 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    --------------
    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
    PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Anth

    Anth Guest

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/health/1678469.stm Anth

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m10.aol.com...
    > Arch Toxicol. 2004 Mar 3 [Epub ahead of print] Links
    >

    > Low iron diet retards 12- O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate-
    > mediated
    tumor
> [...]
    > skin portion adjoining tumors showed a lower degree of
    > epidermal
    hyperplasia
    > and lesser infiltration of inflammatory cells in the
    > dermis, and absence
    of
    > hyperkeratosis in mice fed on low iron diet. Thus, in this
    > study we
    observe
    > that the tumor promoting potential of TPA is reduced in
    > mice fed on low
    iron
    > diet, which is also accompanied by lesser inflammatory
    > changes in the skin
    of
    > tumor-bearing mice fed on low iron diet.
    >
    > PMID: 14997284 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    > ----------------
    > ------
    >

    > Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian!

  3. Drceephd

    Drceephd Guest

    >Subject: low iron diet / skin cancer
    >From: [email protected] (doe)
    >Date: 3/6/04 12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time

    >Low iron diet retards 12- O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate-
    >mediated tumor promotion in murine skin.

    Very interesting.

    I produced the same phorbol-13-acetate for similar cancer
    studies. Interesting chemistry.

    Phorbol comes from castor beans. Castor oil is, then, not so
    healthy but you can crap though a sceen if you take some (
    The body reacts violently to it and watery diahhrea is the
    result ) This is one reason castor bean pickers get high
    levels of cancer.

    DrC PhD

  4. Wb

    Wb Guest

    On 06 Mar 2004 19:37:40 GMT, [email protected] (DRCEEPHD) wrote:

    >>Subject: low iron diet / skin cancer From:
    >>[email protected] (doe) Date: 3/6/04 12:38 PM Eastern
    >>Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]
    >>m10.aol.com>
    >
    >>Low iron diet retards 12- O-tetradecanoyl phorbol-13-acetate-
    >>mediated tumor promotion in murine skin.
    >
    >Very interesting.
    >
    >I produced the same phorbol-13-acetate for similar cancer
    >studies. Interesting chemistry.
    >
    >Phorbol comes from castor beans. Castor oil is, then, not
    >so healthy but you can crap though a sceen if you take some
    >( The body reacts violently to it and watery diahhrea is
    >the result ) This is one reason castor bean pickers get
    >high levels of cancer.
    >
    >DrC PhD

    Making Ricin, again ?
    --

    "I can dance on the head of a pin as well"
    -Yoshimo