Low iron diet / therapy for chronic hepatitis C

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Apr 9, 2005.

  1. Hepatogastroenterology. 2005 Mar-Apr;52(62):563-6. Related Articles,
    Links

    Additional effect of low iron diet on iron reduction therapy by
    phlebotomy for chronic hepatitis C.

    Kimura F, Hayashi H, Yano M, Yoshioka K, Matsumura T, Fukuda T, Shigeto
    N, Yamahara S, Koushi F, Mishima Y, Yoshino T, Tanimoto M, Kimura I.

    Department of Internal Medicine, Tamano-Municipal Hospital, Tamano
    City, Okayama, Japan. [email protected]

    BACKGROUND/AIMS: Iron-induced oxidative stress plays an important role
    in the pathogenesis of chronic hepatitis C. Both phlebotomy for
    removing body iron stores and low iron diet for minimizing portal iron
    supply to the liver have been shown to improve serum transaminase
    levels in patients with the disease. However, the cooperative effects
    of phlebotomy and low iron diet have not yet been elucidated in detail.
    METHODOLOGY: A pilot study was undertaken to investigate whether a low
    iron diet could improve the efficacy of phlebotomy in iron reduction
    therapy. Of 21 patients diagnosed with chronic hepatitis C, 10 patients
    were treated with phlebotomy alone (group A) while 11 patients were
    treated with a low iron plus phlebotomy (group B). Phlebotomy was
    repeated biweekly until serum ferritin levels reached 10 ng/mL in both
    A and B groups. In addition, a low iron diet (iron intake of 8 mg/day
    or less) was recommended for group B, followed by estimation of iron
    intake from daily diet records. RESULTS: Serum alanine aminotransferase
    levels were significantly improved from 106+/-30 to 68+/-22 IU/L
    (p<0.005, paired t-test) in group A and from 100+/-33 to 46+/-10 IU/L
    (p<0.002, paired t-test) in group B. The enzyme levels after treatment
    were significantly higher in group A (p<0.02, non-paired t-test), which
    showed a higher upward distribution of the enzyme activity. The
    estimated dietary iron intake in group B was reduced from 17.6+/-6.1 to
    8.2+/-3.7 mg/day. CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that phlebotomy
    alone does not completely remove iron-induced oxidative stress and a
    low iron diet induces an additional effect in iron reduction therapy
    for chronic hepatitis C.

    PMID: 15816478 [PubMed - in process]

    Who loves ya.
    Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    http://herbivore.7h.com

    Tags:

  2. Doug

    Doug Guest

    Que se? ....doogalas

    > estimated dietary iron intake in group B was reduced from 17.6+/-6.1 to
    > 8.2+/-3.7 mg/day. CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that phlebotomy
    > alone does not completely remove iron-induced oxidative stress and a
    > low iron diet induces an additional effect in iron reduction therapy
    > for chronic hepatitis C.
    >
    > PMID: 15816478 [PubMed - in process]

    > Who loves ya.
    > Tom
    >
    > Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
    > http://herbivore.7h.com

    How 'bout a lobotomy? ....Doug

  3. montygram

    montygram Guest

    Iron and PUFA induced oxidative stress IS the "disease." Very rarely
    is there a "pathogen" that can do much damage to people, unless they
    already weakened their bodies, usually due to poor dietary choices.
    Hep C and AIDS are just new names for people destroying their own
    bodies at ages that make people notice, so the authorities have to come
    up with a "bug" to blame so that people think all is well, so that they
    go to work on Monday, and go shopping once a week, so they will keep
    eating dangerous foods and think it's really okay, not realizing that
    they might be taking several decades off their lives.

  4. "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Que se? ....doogalas

    > Is a crossposting idiot.
    > Stop crossposters by using this message as
    > a reply to all groups *except your own*,
    > then block the sender (killfile).
    > It takes a few seconds to excommunicate
    > the idiots, and the more people that do it,
    > the sooner they'll learn.
    > Keep The Internet Free - of Idiots

  5. *Alias

    *Alias Guest

    "Andrew Heenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Doug" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> Que se? ....doogalas

    >> Is a crossposting idiot.
    >> Stop crossposters by using this message as
    >> a reply to all groups *except your own*,
    >> then block the sender (killfile).
    >> It takes a few seconds to excommunicate
    >> the idiots, and the more people that do it,
    >> the sooner they'll learn.
    >> Keep The Internet Free - of Idiots

    So when are you leaving the Internet, idiot?

    Alias

  6. "*Alias" <[email protected]>

    >> Is a crossposting idiot.

    **Who Cannot Read Very Well **