Low momentum training

badgerfan

Dec 23, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right term but here goes. Heres the situation, I train on a Cateye CS1000. I've tried riding under two different sets of conditions, one with just the fan (and a high level of momentum in the wheel) and one with the fan load plus an additional magnetic load (2-3% grade, low momentum in the wheel). Under both conditions I ride at identical power output (95% Z4) and identical cadence, as well as in the same position on the time trial bars. What I find is that with the addition load my RPE is slightly higher and I seem to have a higher level of fatigue in the hip flexors and hamstings. It seems that an decrease in momentum forces me to have a more complete and even pedal stroke as it's harder to "float" through dead spots or have the occasional easy rev or two. Does the amount of momentum inherent in the load placed on the wheel have any effect on the training outcome? Is this a useful way to increase pedalling efficiency? Any thoughts? Thanks.

badgerfan said:
I'm not sure if this is the right term but here goes. Heres the situation, I train on a Cateye CS1000. I've tried riding under two different sets of conditions, one with just the fan (and a high level of momentum in the wheel) and one with the fan load plus an additional magnetic load (2-3% grade, low momentum in the wheel). Under both conditions I ride at identical power output (95% Z4) and identical cadence, as well as in the same position on the time trial bars. What I find is that with the addition load my RPE is slightly higher and I seem to have a higher level of fatigue in the hip flexors and hamstings. It seems that an decrease in momentum forces me to have a more complete and even pedal stroke as it's harder to "float" through dead spots or have the occasional easy rev or two. Does the amount of momentum inherent in the load placed on the wheel have any effect on the training outcome? Is this a useful way to increase pedalling efficiency? Any thoughts? Thanks.
What are you using to measure power?

badgerfan said:
Does the amount of momentum inherent in the load placed on the wheel have any effect on the training outcome? Is this a useful way to increase pedalling efficiency? Any thoughts? Thanks.
Riding a trainer with low wheel inertia more closely simulates the feel of riding uphill, while higher wheel inertia is closer to riding on the flats or downhill. If you're training specifically for a race on a certain topography, then there's probably some benefit to matching the trainer feel to the intended race course.

badgerfan said:
Powertap Pro, average power on 20 min intervals within 5W.
I also have a cs1000 a was wondering if the power reading on your cs1000 correlates to you powertap readings (was that the 5w you mentioned)?

I use two similar workout and have found a similar feeling in the legs
1/ fan only 300w+(42kph+) cadence about 95
2/ fan +5% 300w+(22- 23kph cadence about 90 don't have a lower gear

Both workout are done 4min on and 1min rest 6 to 8 repeats or occasionally 20min on 5min rest 2 repeats. Both workouts are done each week with a rest day in between.
My theory is 5% will help me in the hills and fan only for the flat break aways same as frenchyge has suggested. The 300w is 80% of MAP although this is due to be tested again and hopefully will go up due to the passed 4wks.

My cs1000 reads about 60w higher than the power tap on fan only and about 45w higher at 5%. The two workouts I'm using right now are:

day1 6-8x5min at 280w (z5)
day2 3x20min at 240w (top end z4, FT= 230)
day3/4 recovery
repeat
four weeks of this and I'm ready for a break :eek:

badgerfan said:
I have no idea about the 'increase efficiency' part of your question (I'd guess that all it will really do is make you better at riding a mag trainer!), but I'll say that using my PT to measure power, I've experienced the exact same phenomena on that trainer--300W with the mag unit vs. 300W without, and without seems easier....