Low pulse rate.

James

Guest
Been checking blood pressure over than last few days, and got the following results,

Sys Dia Pulse 132 72 38

112 55 35

136 66 41 137 68 38 114 67 34

The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is this OK?

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:10:13 GMT, "James" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Been checking blood pressure over than last few days, and got the following results,
>
>Sys Dia Pulse 132 72 38
>
> 112 55 35
>
> 136 66 41 137 68 38 114 67 34
>

>The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is this OK?

Depends.

The pulse is pretty normal for a long distance runner at rest, long distance cycler at rest, or long
distance swimmer at rest.

In some cases it might be abnormal and require attention. Best bet in any event is to check with
your primary care physician, who knows you better than any of us out here in cyber-space! :)

smn

James wrote:

> Been checking blood pressure over than last few days, and got the following results,
>
> Sys Dia Pulse 132 72 38
>
> 112 55 35
>
> 136 66 41 137 68 38 114 67 34
>
> The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is this OK?

No. Would suggest you inform your doctor.

Andrew

--
Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

What is all this about?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?A26B16397

Is this spam?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

> > The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is
this
> > OK?
>
> No. Would suggest you inform your doctor.

For a bit more info.

I have a heart murmur from birth, but after extensive tests (echo, ecg etc) it was conculded
that the murmur was innocent (small excess on heart flap) and no further follow up was needed
after I was 15.

I have only started checking BP at home this week after a visit to the doctors (antibiotics). Whilst
I was there he did a routine check on BP, which he felt was high "154/88 p43" and repeated the test
with similar result after a few mins. He did not mention the low pulse rate, but was concerned that
the BP was "a little high for someone my age (30)" and recommended that I visited nurse in 5 weeks
to test if it was still high.

I have been through this before (aparantly high BP) and had a 24 hr test done which concluded that
BP was normal and I have "white coat hypertension"

My pulse has always been on the slow side (45ish) but only recently has it gone down to the lower
levels. I have no other symptom. I do visit the Gym a couple of times a week, but I am by not
particulary fit (just about average) and carry too many pounds.

I will visit the docs again after 5 weeks as recommended and mention this, but a) could it be
normal? b) if not normal. what might it be?

It seems to me I heard somewhere that James wrote in article
<[email protected]>:

>> > The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is
>this
>> > OK?

>For a bit more info.

>I have a heart murmur from birth, but after extensive tests (echo, ecg etc) it was conculded
>that the murmur was innocent (small excess on heart flap) and no further follow up was needed
>after I was 15.

>I have only started checking BP at home this week after a visit to the doctors (antibiotics).
>Whilst I was there he did a routine check on BP, which he felt was high "154/88 p43" and repeated
>the test with similar result after a few mins. He did not mention the low pulse rate, but was
>concerned that the BP was "a little high for someone my age (30)" and recommended that I visited
>nurse in 5 weeks to test if it was still high.

>I have been through this before (aparantly high BP) and had a 24 hr test done which concluded that
>BP was normal and I have "white coat hypertension"

>My pulse has always been on the slow side (45ish) but only recently has it gone down to the lower
>levels. I have no other symptom. I do visit the Gym a couple of times a week, but I am by not
>particulary fit (just about average) and carry too many pounds.

The gym visits may not be contributing much to your lowered pulse rate--I think aerobic exercise is
more apt to be associated with slow pulse. I agree with Dr. Nadler that no one can say that a pulse
rate in the 30s or 40s is abnormal for someone doing aerobic exercises enough to maintain a rather
good level of fitness; elite endurance athletes have a wide range of resting and active pulse rates.

Like you, I have a naturally slow pulse and many years of running have lowered it even more--
routinely into the 30s when I am at complete rest and in the 40s at "active" rest such as reading
the paper or watching TV.

Has there been any significant change in your pulse rate? I think that would be more telling than
merely having a slow rate.

>I will visit the docs again after 5 weeks as recommended and mention this, but a) could it be
>normal? b) if not normal. what might it be?

Without other symptoms and with the regimen you describe I'd guess that it's within normal limits -
I am not a doctor, but an experienced runner and a heart patient, so I've had occasion to pay
attention to some of these issues. Nevertheless, if I were you I would discuss it with my doctor but
would not be surprised to be told it is not a problem. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
--
Don [email protected]

James wrote:

> > > The blood pressure appears normal, but the pulse seems very slow? Is
> this
> > > OK?
> >
> > No. Would suggest you inform your doctor.
>
> For a bit more info.
>
> I have a heart murmur from birth, but after extensive tests (echo, ecg etc) it was conculded
> that the murmur was innocent (small excess on heart flap) and no further follow up was needed
> after I was 15.
>
> I have only started checking BP at home this week after a visit to the doctors (antibiotics).
> Whilst I was there he did a routine check on BP, which he felt was high "154/88 p43" and repeated
> the test with similar result after a few mins. He did not mention the low pulse rate, but was
> concerned that the BP was "a little high for someone my age (30)" and recommended that I visited
> nurse in 5 weeks to test if it was still high.
>
> I have been through this before (aparantly high BP) and had a 24 hr test done which concluded that
> BP was normal and I have "white coat hypertension"
>
> My pulse has always been on the slow side (45ish) but only recently has it gone down to the lower
> levels. I have no other symptom. I do visit the Gym a couple of times a week, but I am by not
> particulary fit (just about average) and carry too many pounds.
>
> I will visit the docs again after 5 weeks as recommended and mention this, but a) could it
> be normal?

A heart rate of 34-41 is not normal.

> b) if not normal. what might it be?

Junctional escape, accelerated idioventricular, sick sinus syndrome, SA nodal wenkebach to name a
few possibilities.

Again, would suggest you inform your doctor. S/he may want to refer you to a cardiologist if your
heart rate is truly that low especially if your EKG is more abnormal than just the slow rate.

Andrew