Low Resting Heart Rate and Cycling?

Tom Nakashima

Guest
I read Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28 bpm. I
was wondering how a low resting heart rate relates to
cycling? -tom

This indicates that the cardiac output per beat is quite
large. This is a measure of efficiency. It is more efficient
for a heart to eject a large quantity of blood per beat,
that it is for it to beat rapidly. The concept is similar to
a diesel engine. It does not have "pep", but it puts out a
large, constant horsepower efficiently. As I recall, when
Indurain was at his best, his cardiac output was about 50 L
/ min. That's one hell of a pump...

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois AGC-PC support http://agc-pc.tripod.com

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I read Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28 bpm.
> I was wondering how a low resting heart rate relates to
> cycling? -tom

I worry about what happens to that big 'ol heart if you
stop cycling in old age (>70years) ... like any muscle, it
will get weaker. Now you've just got this big, soggy 'ol
heart for the electrical impulses to wander through
leaving the potential for lethal arrhythmias or just plain
heart failure.

Any studies on this?

jw milwaukee

J999w schreef:

> I worry about what happens to that big 'ol heart if you
> stop cycling in old age (>70years) ... like any muscle, it
> will get weaker. Now you've just got this big, soggy 'ol
> heart for the electrical impulses to wander through
> leaving the potential for lethal arrhythmias or just plain
> heart failure.

Surely there are.

But yesterday I was reading poems from the late great Herman
De Coninck. There was a poem where he all of a sudden spoke
of Rik Van Steenbergen's sportheart and his need to keep it
in form at elevated age.

De Coninck had a period when he was a rather fit and proud
jogger, but he was a chainsmoke anddied rather early form
heart failure.

>I worry about what happens to that big 'ol heart if you
>stop cycling in old age (>70years) ... like any muscle, it
>will get weaker.

Teh efficiency of the circulatory system is not just the
size of the heart muscle is it? In fact, does a runner doing
long slow distance to build his base really make his heart
bigger? Certainly new capillaries are created, etc.

Gleshna - Multi-Thousandaire

DA LAKES: Da Lake Tube:
http://www.greatlakesurfing.com/images/Gallery/point.jpg Da
new Lake Movie: http://www.unsalted.tv/ Da Bears ???????

> I read Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28 bpm.
> I was wondering how a low resting heart rate relates to
> cycling? -tom

I've done some study on this, since I have a 30 resting
heart beat. In a nutshell it doesn't mean squat for
performance. I still suck, but only because I won't
lower myself to take performance enhancing drugs. It did
cause a commotion when I was prepped for surgery, to
correct some orthopedics that were put out of place in a
cycling accident. The nurses kept checking it, until I
told them I was in cycling, and then they trusted their
measurement. I would only say that it is an indicator of
how much you train. But I've seen a lot of Freds that do
a hell of a lot of training.

People who suffer from under active thyroid often have very
low heart rates. They also can be very much over weight. So
your level of fitness doe's not directly relate to a low
heart rate.

>>I worry about what happens to that big 'ol heart if you
>>stop cycling in old age (>70years) ... like any muscle, it
>>will get weaker.
>
>Teh efficiency of the circulatory system is not just the
>size of the heart muscle is it? In fact, does a runner
>doing long slow distance to build his base really make his
>heart bigger? Certainly new capillaries are created, etc.
>

>Gleshna - Multi-Thousandaire

Okay, I've been out of school for a while, but if I recall,
_one_ of the adaptations of the heart to aerobic exercise is
to grow larger. I know this is different from congestive
heart failure where the heart tries to improve by getting
larger, but remains an inefficient pump no matter how big it
grows ... but what becomes of that once healthy, strong, yet
larger than normal heart once you age and are no longer
active? Does it weaken and become too big for it's own good?
I would guess in the long run, it's going to be a better
than average pump until your dying day, but is that the case
if you stop training when you're 50+ ?

Anyone know?

jw milwaukee

> People who suffer from under active thyroid often have
> very low heart rates. They also can be very much over
> weight. So your level of fitness doe's not directly relate
> to a low heart rate.

From personal experience, I went from 52 to 30 in 3 years. I
think that's what most people experience, but I don't think
on average, it indicates that everyone has a thyroid
condition. Fat freaks isn't what he was talking about.

it doesn't mean ****.
my vitals are:
7.8 liters lung capacity, AM-RHR= 35, 29-32 when younger.

and I suck....or is it maybe that I don't tend to train
enough........no matter what you have under the hood if you
don't ride the bike it doesn't matter..... just like Eddie
says, "ride, ride, ride, and a little salt on the keabossa
never hurts either..."

"Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I read Miguel Indurain had a resting heart rate of 28 bpm.
> I was wondering how a low resting heart rate relates to
> cycling? -tom

While it is true that the majority of athletes will see a
decrease in resting HR (RHR), it is not universal, nor is it
a sign of performance potential. Case in point: Frank
Shorter, known to most as a "pretty good" runner (Olympic
Gold is pretty good) was reported to have a resting HR
around 75 beats/min. That sucks, if he were competing in the
resting HR games.

The important thing to remember about most of the initial
changes in performance (RHR, strength training and even
endurance) is that there is always a neural component. In
this case, at rest, the sympathetic nervous system (SNS-
stimulating) decreases its input, and, more importantly, the
parasympathetic (PNS-relaxing/digestion) increases its input
to the heart. This input is the major reason why RHR
decreases so rapidly after you start training, not an
increase in heart size.

Consequently, congestive heart failure (CHF) heart growth is
completely different from the increase you see with
endurance athletes. Certainly an overly large heart can lead
to electrical problems (ie, arrhythmias), but the growth
seen is not due to muscle growth - defined here as a thicker
muscle, rather, the chambers get larger, while the wall
thickness is largely unchanged. However, the heart muscle
itself does get stronger, and the larger volume allows for
greater filling capacity in the heart and ultimately greater
pumping (per beat) capacity - Stroke volume. In contrast,
CHF growth results in increase muscle tissue in parallel
(ie, the fibers stack and run in parallel), creating very
thick walls. Initially, the heart gets stronger from the
greater work (CHF is a complicated process that increases
the work on the heart, with the heart trying to adapt), but
the thicker walls cause electrical problems, and more
significantly, become difficult to perfuse with blood. As
the diagram shows, the outer tissue gets the O2, but the
inner tissue doesn't and eventually dies. Dead tissue
doesn't conduct impulses and doesn't pump blood. Just like
having big legs with a big gut and big ass makes climbing
hills harder, all that dead tissue doesn't help with the
heart function.

Hope this clears things up.

Chris Harnish, M.S. Coach People Cycle, Inc.

m21.aol.com>...