Low-sugar baked beans?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. Does anyone know of a recipe for baked beans, but with reduced
    calories, using sugar substitute such as Splenda?

    Tags:

  2. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a recipe for baked beans, but with reduced
    > calories, using sugar substitute such as Splenda.

    My Boston baked bean recipe doesn't call for sugar- it calls for 1
    cup + 1tblsp. of molasses coming in at a whopping 14 grams of sugar
    per-serving (1 tblsp.- someone else can do the math)
    But it isn't the sugar that makes baked beans so good!! It's all the
    fat coming from the salt pork and bacon! (mmm! mmmmmmmm!)
    My question to you is how do you get all that rich color, smokey
    flavor and texture the molasses brings to the dish without using
    molasses? Here's how you avoid the sugar conundrum:
    Eat them on special occasions but don't do them a disservice by
    eliminating all that makes them so dang-diddley good!! Besides, it's an
    involved dish that doesn't clean up too terribly easy... why the bother
    if you're skimping? Kev