Low, Whine on Canto

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben, Mar 13, 2003.

  1. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.

    Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame? I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely noticeable.

    Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?

    Thanks for an informative thread.

    Ben

    Tags:

  2. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    I have not noticed it on mine. But my drivetrain is slightly modified. I have a nine speed cluster
    on the back. Thus my chain is a bit thinner.

    Derek

    In <[email protected]> Ben wrote:
    > I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the
    > Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.
    >
    > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame?
    > I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely
    > noticeable.
    >
    > Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?
    >
    > Thanks for an informative thread.
    >
    > Ben

  3. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    Hi Ben,

    I haven't noticed it on mine and I've had it over a year now. I did have somethng similar on my
    V-Rex. The idler was too tight. If you aren't mechanically inclined, I would take the bike back to
    your LBS and have them check it out.

    Gary

    Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the
    > Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.
    >
    > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame?
    > I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely
    > noticeable.
    >
    > Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?
    >
    > Thanks for an informative thread.
    >
    > Ben

  4. Dom

    Dom Guest

    I've had mine for over a year and have not noticed any whine. Did log a lot miles last year but like
    you, can't wait for the snow to finally quit so I can get back on the road.

    Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the
    > Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.
    >
    > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame?
    > I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely
    > noticeable.
    >
    > Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?
    >
    > Thanks for an informative thread.
    >
    > Ben

  5. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Thanks Gang,

    That's really helpful to know that my bike is not operating normally. I'll try to adjust the idler and if that doesn't work, I'll take it back to my shop.

    Today it's supposed to be in the 40s and the snow is melting, so I'm going to be out and about on the bike today. Tomorrow is to be in the 60s, so I hope to log a lot of miles this weekend.

    Thanks again for the help,
    Ben

  6. Ryan Wright

    Ryan Wright Guest

    Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto
    > > > frame? I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is
    > > > definitely noticeable.

    Yep! My Canto started doing this a month or so into ownership. Very annoying. I took it back to
    the LBS and 5 minutes later they had it fixed. I believe they simply loosened the bolt a little -
    it was too tight, and wasn't allowing the idler to spin. Either that or they tightened the bolt.
    I can't remember. Anyway, if you play with it, you should be able to fix it easily without
    replacing anything.

    -Ryan

  7. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Ryan, and others,

    Thanks for your assistance. In fact, I emailed Burley about the problem and they sent me a free replacement idler. Now that's the kind of service I expect from a quality company!!!!!!

    In the meantime, just on a lark, I shot a bit of lube into the bearing, and that took care of the noise. I'm sure it will come back. When it does, I'll use Ryan's fix. If and when that doesn't work, I have a new idler.

    Tail winds!
    Ben