Low, Whine on Canto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Mar 13, 2003
I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.

Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame? I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely noticeable.

Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?

Thanks for an informative thread.

Ben

I have not noticed it on mine. But my drivetrain is slightly modified. I have a nine speed cluster
on the back. Thus my chain is a bit thinner.

Derek

In <[email protected]> Ben wrote:
> I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the
> Chicago area right now. But, that's about to change.
>
> Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame?
> I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely
> noticeable.
>
> Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?
>
> Thanks for an informative thread.
>
> Ben
>
>
>
> --
>>--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Hi Ben,

I haven't noticed it on mine and I've had it over a year now. I did have somethng similar on my
V-Rex. The idler was too tight. If you aren't mechanically inclined, I would take the bike back to
your LBS and have them check it out.

Gary

Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I just bought a new Canto. I only have about 20 miles on it, because it's so darn cold in the
>
> Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto frame?
> I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is definitely
> noticeable.
>
>
>
> Ben

I've had mine for over a year and have not noticed any whine. Did log a lot miles last year but like
you, can't wait for the snow to finally quit so I can get back on the road.

>
> noticeable.
>
>
>
> Ben

Thanks Gang,

That's really helpful to know that my bike is not operating normally. I'll try to adjust the idler and if that doesn't work, I'll take it back to my shop.

Today it's supposed to be in the 40s and the snow is melting, so I'm going to be out and about on the bike today. Tomorrow is to be in the 60s, so I hope to log a lot of miles this weekend.

Thanks again for the help,
Ben

Originally posted by Dom
I've had mine for over a year and have not noticed any whine. Did log a lot miles last year but like
you, can't wait for the snow to finally quit so I can get back on the road.

>
> noticeable.
>
>
>
> Ben

> > > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto
> > > frame? I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is
> > > definitely noticeable.

Yep! My Canto started doing this a month or so into ownership. Very annoying. I took it back to
the LBS and 5 minutes later they had it fixed. I believe they simply loosened the bolt a little -
it was too tight, and wasn't allowing the idler to spin. Either that or they tightened the bolt.
I can't remember. Anyway, if you play with it, you should be able to fix it easily without
replacing anything.

-Ryan

Ryan, and others,

Thanks for your assistance. In fact, I emailed Burley about the problem and they sent me a free replacement idler. Now that's the kind of service I expect from a quality company!!!!!!

In the meantime, just on a lark, I shot a bit of lube into the bearing, and that took care of the noise. I'm sure it will come back. When it does, I'll use Ryan's fix. If and when that doesn't work, I have a new idler.

Tail winds!
Ben

Originally posted by Ryan Wright
> > > Is anyone experiencing a low, whining noise from the chain idler in the center of the Canto
> > > frame? I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it is
> > > definitely noticeable.

Yep! My Canto started doing this a month or so into ownership. Very annoying. I took it back to
the LBS and 5 minutes later they had it fixed. I believe they simply loosened the bolt a little -
it was too tight, and wasn't allowing the idler to spin. Either that or they tightened the bolt.
I can't remember. Anyway, if you play with it, you should be able to fix it easily without
replacing anything.

-Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.